Latest coins from 1800's farm

waltr

Elite Member
Friday evening got an 1889 IHP from what was a field on the 1800's farm. This is about a half mile from the farm house. Old maps show there was a creamery there which is what I was looking for. Did not find any evidence of a building, old nails etc. Was very surprised to detect fairly large areas without any targets with very little junk modern of old. Only other old find was the remains, rim, of a steel can, not the size of a drink can.
The IHP is quite toasted with a bit of bronze disease, Cuprous chlorides as well as a think layer of copper oxide (black). The edges of the IH just fell apart when cleaning off the crust showing the bright green CuCl color.

Saturday went back to the Farm house site. Dig lots of nails, shotgun shells and a King George II half penny, 1743 or 1745. This one has a bit more detail with all the text and figure details. Pretty sure this is a regal minted coin rather than a counterfeit but I'm not an expert.

This farm site has had surprises. So far two KG half pennies, a Large cent, a perfect 1865 Indian then remaining coins all 1901 to 1944 with only one silver, a 1903 Barber quarter. Seems the farmer and his wife keep tight track of their money, 1860-1900, but the farmer got careless after his wife died in 1903.
Still doing research on the history of this farm.

Attachments

• IMG_9856 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9856 (Medium).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_9857 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_9857 (Medium).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 342
That’s awesome, I’d love a kg

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas special edition.
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring
Total clad 2018 - 45$

Thanks all.
Yea, the IHP is pretty bad. Not sure if the field was tilled or a cow pasture before. Guess either cow or chemical fertilizer is to blame for the corrosion.

Edit add: Thinking about the IPH last night and the fertilizer chemistry didn't add up, typically no Chlorides in these.
Then it dawned that this is near the bottom of a hill with a road. So road salt, NaCl, washing down and onto this flat where the IPH was found is the more likely cause of the corrosion.

Real pleased with the condition of the KG II however.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom