• Forum server maintanace tomorrow night.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Help! Monogram or just "Fancy"...

DoctorWhy

Hi All,

Finally got out on a search after a few week hiatus. Went to a nearby Colonial/Revolutionary-era homestead/cellar hole on the Maine island where I live. This site has produced amazing late-17th, 18th, and early-19th century finds.

Today with a CTX 3030 and stock coil I found this oval pewter button/cuff link with a broken shank about 6" deep.

I am unable to 'decode' whether the engraving on this piece is just a bit of 18th century "fancy" or a monogram. If it is a monogram, and it can be 'decoded', the value of that information to our local historical society will be immense.

Can anyone out there help me out?

Cheers,
--Bert

Attachments

• PewterCuffLink_sm.jpg
    PewterCuffLink_sm.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 471
  • MonogramButton_sm.jpg
    MonogramButton_sm.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 487
I would say that your button/cufflink is monogrammed. I enlisted the help of my mother who has experience working with script monograms in the printing industry. Most likely, the close-up photo is the correct view, while photo #1 shows the letters upside-down.

The first letter on the left looks to be an I (which has a more slender top portion than the letter J usually would); the second letter in the middle is probably a P; and although the third letter on the right could be a P, there is some indication that it is actually the letter B (notice what may be the beginning of the bottom loop above the worn lower right edge).

Furthermore, the order of initials is something to keep in mind, because monograms may be viewed several ways. While it's possible they represent the first, middle, & last names left to right, quite often the surname (last) was placed in the middle, with the first initial on the left, and middle initial on the right. However, if the monogram signifies a husband & wife, her first initial would be on the left, his on the right, and their surname centered.

Great find! I hope you uncover some neat history behind it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I would say that your button/cufflink is monogrammed. I enlisted the help of my mother who has experience working with script monograms in the printing industry. Most likely, the close-up photo is the correct view, while photo #1 shows the letters upside-down.

The first letter on the left looks to be an I (which has a more slender top portion than the letter J usually would); the second letter in the middle is probably a P; and although the third letter on the right could be a P, there is some indication that it is actually the letter B (notice what may be the beginning of the bottom loop above the worn lower right edge).

Furthermore, the order of initials is something to keep in mind, because monograms may be viewed several ways. While it's possible they represent the first, middle, & last names left to right, quite often the surname (last) was placed in the middle, with the first initial on the left, and middle initial on the right. However, if the monogram signifies a husband & wife, her first initial would be on the left, his on the right, and their surname centered.

Great find! I hope you uncover some neat history behind it. :thumbsup:

Hi Princess,

Thank you and your Mom so very much for efforts to decode the monogram!

I think you are right on!

Once you mentioned the letter "B", it rang a bell... The property where I was detecting, in Revolutionary War times, was known as the "Barbour Farm". After a brief bit of historical research, I came up with three candidates, contemporary to the late-18th through early-19th centuries:

Josiah [?] Barbour
John [?] Barbour
Isaiah [?] Barbour

Where I used "[?]" to indicate an unknown middle name.

Later today, I'm off to the island's Historical Society to show them this 'treasure' and see if their geneology records can narrow down the potential owner of this monogramed cuff link.

It is always exciting to find an artifact that hasn't been seen for hundreds of years, but even so much more exciting when it may be directly attributed to a particular person.

Again, much thanks!
--Bert

Nice find and it is connecting the find to a person that really gets exciting.
Please post back what you find out at the historical society.

Looks like JPP to me...... Jason Pierre Paul, defensive lineman, New York Giants....... ;)

Hi Princess,

Thank you and your Mom so very much for efforts to decode the monogram!

I think you are right on!

Once you mentioned the letter "B", it rang a bell... The property where I was detecting, in Revolutionary War times, was known as the "Barbour Farm". After a brief bit of historical research, I came up with three candidates, contemporary to the late-18th through early-19th centuries:

Josiah [?] Barbour
John [?] Barbour
Isaiah [?] Barbour

Where I used "[?]" to indicate an unknown middle name.

Later today, I'm off to the island's Historical Society to show them this 'treasure' and see if their geneology records can narrow down the potential owner of this monogramed cuff link.

It is always exciting to find an artifact that hasn't been seen for hundreds of years, but even so much more exciting when it may be directly attributed to a particular person.

Again, much thanks!
--Bert

Wow! That's intriguing! My mom & I are glad to be of help, and are looking forward to hearing the results of your research. Please keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom