How is the best way two dig a 5plus hole at a school?

Chris819

I was wondering what is the best way to get a item that is 5 plus inches down at a school? What kind of shovel should i use? Any help would be greatful. Chris

I always just carry my regular hand digging trowel (or Lesche if you have one). I don't think most people want to see someone carrying a shovel around on school grounds. They may get nervous and figure no matter how careful you are you're still going to cause damage. I just dig the plug as deep as I can with the digging trowel, turn the plug over, rescan the hole, and if it's I didn't get it in the plug just keep digging deeper. Once you recover the target just put the dirt back in and then replace the plug. No one will know you were there.

I use a lesche digger, and a drop cloth.

use your MD to pin point the area
cut a wide enough plug
put the plug on the cloth
scan the hole with your propointer
try scanning the hole with detector, if no
scan the plug
fill hole with loose dirt, and put the plug back in the hole.

Yes, I forgot to mention the dropcloth. That's important especially when digging in any kind of manicured lawn...obviously not so important in the woods but definitely should use in a schoolyard.

I use a lesche digger, and a drop cloth.

use your MD to pin point the area
cut a wide enough plug
put the plug on the cloth
scan the hole with your propointer
try scanning the hole with detector, if no
scan the plug
fill hole with loose dirt, and put the plug back in the hole.

I agree! Also, cut your initial sod plug big enough to accommodate the tapering that your hole undergoes. After this firs plug, I will go around the sides of the hole again with the Lesche, making the plug even deeper, before prying that dirt out, too. Good luck!
NC

Just keep it as low profile and as neat as you can. The less time you are actively digging in the dirt the better , try and make your target recoveries quick at schools if possible because people watch you. 4 or 5 inches is generally as deep as i will go in a school yard ,....if you wanna attract negative attention to yourself , just look like you are trying to dig to China and you will get it :lol:

I dig my plug as a flap either C shaped or squared and flip it like a book cover on the ground. Typically that in itself will be 3 or more inches..then set scan the plug and hole, if the item is still in the hole I put my ProPointer in the hle and scan to see if it has depth, if not I put my drop cloth right at the edge of the hole and scoop out the dirt onto the cloth then scan again with the PP. When I have located the item i can grab the corners of the cloth and replace the dirt without making a mess and flip the sod flap back into the hole. Typically i will pound it down with my hands then give it one last press when I stand up. More often then not the hole is clean and clear and cannot tell I was digging. Thats how I like it.

On a side note I was at an old school earlier in the week and spoke witht he custodian and asked if he was ok with me huntign there and his biggest complaint was some others who have gone through leaving holes and obvious signs of their digging. He was concerned for peipel tripping in the holes etc. He came out and saw how iw as recovering my targets and then told me about 3 other places i could go since I was being respectful and returning the ground to such good condition and removing the hazards as I dug them. (found lots of glass and glass bottle tops witht he metal caps still screwed on them.)

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

:D

I'm with Chris J LEAVE A FLAP. Plugs that are cut totally around can often be pulled up by lawn mower and with a flap, the roots seem to continue to grow better.
BB

Keep in mind the older schools will have deeper targets. Recently at several schools I dug down 7.5 inches to get a 64' rosie and about 5 to get a merc. Once I dug down 8 inches to get a wheat on a school football field. You can't let those good targets go! Just be as neat as you can.

I agree completely on the C or U shaped flap. I rely on the detector to give a ball park on how deep to cut the flap and quite often the coin will be just stuck to the bottom of the flap or in the hole. (Nice when it works that way :) )
This does not work at all if the sod is not heavy enough to stick togeather soil conditions have so much to do with how I dig. When it is nice and moist it is easy. In the real dry weather I resort of popping them out with a screwdriver and leaving the real deep stuff for better conditions. Bottom line is try not to leave any evidence that you were there. It is so nice to stand up, step on the flap and having it blend in with the rest of the grass. Does not always happen that way but my percentage improves every year :)

Jerry

Someone else here talked about carrying around Miricle Gro and giving the plug a squirt when you are done. I've started doing this at the nicer parks I detect in and went one step further and printed out a Miricle Gro logo and tape it professionally looking to the bottle I use.

I dig my plug as a flap either C shaped or squared and flip it like a book cover on the ground. Typically that in itself will be 3 or more inches..then set scan the plug and hole, if the item is still in the hole I put my ProPointer in the hle and scan to see if it has depth, if not I put my drop cloth right at the edge of the hole and scoop out the dirt onto the cloth then scan again with the PP. When I have located the item i can grab the corners of the cloth and replace the dirt without making a mess and flip the sod flap back into the hole. Typically i will pound it down with my hands then give it one last press when I stand up. More often then not the hole is clean and clear and cannot tell I was digging. Thats how I like it.

On a side note I was at an old school earlier in the week and spoke witht he custodian and asked if he was ok with me huntign there and his biggest complaint was some others who have gone through leaving holes and obvious signs of their digging. He was concerned for peipel tripping in the holes etc. He came out and saw how iw as recovering my targets and then told me about 3 other places i could go since I was being respectful and returning the ground to such good condition and removing the hazards as I dug them. (found lots of glass and glass bottle tops witht he metal caps still screwed on them.)

Good luck and Happy Hunting!

:D

I recently tried the flap method and I like it. :) I think it may even be quicker and I am not so self-conscious about the digging portion. Smooth the soild out after, flip the flap back and give it a good press. Seamless. I took two steps, turned around and had an almost impossible time finding the flap.

I use the flap method everywere, but I use a short, small shovel from lowes. It about 2 feet long with a smaller head It has a t handle for carrying. Since it has a place to drive it with your foot, I can cut a plug, deep and pretty in about 10 seconds even in hard soil. I don't have to get on my knees to do it. Combine with a cloth for the dirt and its a combination that I like. I recently learned on this forum to brake up the plug as I put it back in to help with water aborption. This i feel is adaquate for a school or park. In a well cared for private lawn I would use a digger for accuracy. The shovel is about 10 bucks. Still nice to have a digger for roots. I have not been approched at a school or park except by friendly people. The grounds attendants usually wave. Just my two cents.http://www.lowes.com/pd_126-302-154...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

I use the flap method everywere, but I use a short, small shovel from lowes. It about 2 feet long with a smaller head It has a t handle for carrying. Since it has a place to drive it with your foot, I can cut a plug, deep and pretty in about 10 seconds even in hard soil. I don't have to get on my knees to do it. Combine with a cloth for the dirt and its a combination that I like. I recently learned on this forum to brake up the plug as I put it back in to help with water aborption. This i feel is adaquate for a school or park. In a well cared for private lawn I would use a digger for accuracy. The shovel is about 10 bucks. Still nice to have a digger for roots. I have not been approched at a school or park except by friendly people. The grounds attendants usually wave. Just my two cents.http://www.lowes.com/pd_126-302-154...br|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=
Perfect.

I don't think people will mind if you carry a small shovel as long as the ground looks great when you leave, plus it will speed up you recover time.

Why people worry about being seen is weird, I must have hunted 50 parks this summer and never once got hassled. But I do live where we practice Minnesota nice. Maybe that's why. If anyone asks me anything ,I will ask them to see if they can tell where i have dug, they can't.

Pulling out a Lesche knife in a park is kinda scary too. I know what your going to say next is , I just carry a probe right...well we are still creepy guys with headphones on. That's just what we are..lol

A 10 yr old kid approached me at the beach today and asked if I was finding anything good. I pulled the latest find out of the scoop and showed him a beer tab. Nah mainly these. One of my next scoops was an Italy .925 chain with what looks like a costume pendant. What's the best way to clean a thin silver chain?:shock: Ace 250 does do good in the shallows. I turned sensativity to 3 and ignored and sounds when the wave made direct contact with the coil. Nickles bit still no gold. I am cleaning everything and eating now. Will post soon.

Great digging tool

Ive used serveral of leache type digging tools,but i have found i believe, the best digging tool. It is the folding military entrenching shovel. It is v shaped, 2 section folding handle.you can put you foot on the spade if needed. 1 edge is sarrated to cut sod. When kept sharp,it is a dream cutting sod and making any size hole. It is found in a military surplus store. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom