Nox 600 or 800 can't decide

shedigz

Elite Member
Does the extra frequencies on the 800 make a difference?

I currently use a Minelab X Terra 705 so I'm no stranger to Minelab.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

I went with the 600 because I don’t nugget hunt here in SW Ohio. It is my understanding that both the 600 and 800 hunt the same 5 frequencies in multi-mode but only the 800 can hunt in all 5 frequencies individually where as the 600 can only hunt in the lower 3 frequencies individually. The 800 does have a few more user adjustments than the 600. I can’t say how much I paid for my 600 but I couldn’t justify the $$ difference for some features I knew I would not use. Call me cheap but the 600 is a very capable detector. Good luck and Happy Hunts.👍
P.S. I have owned every model of the X-Terra lineup; very good machines, just have to slow down the swing a little bit. A lot of folks don’t like the tones on the X-Terra but I liked them better than other brands I have swung over the years.

I could justify the difference even though i have zero need for the prospecting modes here in the UK.

800 you get wireless headphones.

800 you get a lot more adjustments in different modes.

Even something as simple as the brightness mode.

On the 800 if im on the beach at night and dont want to be blinded by the display, you get i think 3 or 4 levels of brightness...so i can turn on display so i can see it, but it's super dim so i don't stand out too much in the middle of the beach at 3am...lol.

I think on the 600 the brightness is either on...which is VERY bright or off!

Matt.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Forgot to add...whichever model you choose...you will not be disappointed.

The Equinox is a damn good machine!!

Matt.

I could have gotten either but I am lucky enough to be able to afford the more expensive one so I went for that.
Why...it is to have more options of which I might not use them all but I might.
At this point I don't know exactly what I can use or what I don't need that might make a difference.
I hunt in some very difficult dirt and I have been successful using other detectors but the most success I have had entails using my F70 and some very strange out of the box settings and learning a different language and behavior patterns...none of which have yielded obvious, in your face info and indicators.
Here I might not ever need the gold settings because I don't hunt for nuggets but you never know if some of those gold settings might help combat the issues I have and help me find more until I try.
There are also a few more adjustments in some of the features, the entire range might be there on both models but again...I don't have a clue if any of those finer adjustment levels will or will not matter.
Those "what if" nagging feelings you can get in this hobby about many things that happen out there can bother forever you if you let them, I would sure hate to feel that way about not having all the setting combinations possible at my fingertips if needed knowing I could have had them but chose not to.
I might not end up using more than 1/10th of possible setting combinations in my lifetime, if that, but in my mind it is better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them.
All my detectors have paid for themselves eventually, I have no doubt this one will too even if it did have that higher price tag.

If I hunted in great soil and normal conditions I might have thought differently but since I am not that lucky I feel the more ammo I have the better my chances will be to find success.
Plus, I love to tweak and experiment with many different settings, that is a big part of the joy I have doing this hobby, so more features equals more fun for me as far as I am concerned.
But that is me and I am weird.

I could have gotten either but I am lucky enough to be able to afford the more expensive one so I went for that.
Why...it is to have more options of which I might not use them all but I might.
At this point I don't know exactly what I can use or what I don't need that might make a difference.
I hunt in some very difficult dirt and I have been successful using other detectors but the most success I have had entails using my F70 and some very strange out of the box settings and learning a different language and behavior patterns...none of which have yielded obvious, in your face info and indicators.
Here I might not ever need the gold settings because I don't hunt for nuggets but you never know if some of those gold settings might help combat the issues I have and help me find more until I try.
There are also a few more adjustments in some of the features, the entire range might be there on both models but again...I don't have a clue if any of those finer adjustment levels will or will not matter.
Those "what if" nagging feelings you can get in this hobby about many things that happen out there can bother forever you if you let them, I would sure hate to feel that way about not having all the setting combinations possible at my fingertips if needed knowing I could have had them but chose not to.
I might not end up using more than 1/10th of possible setting combinations in my lifetime, if that, but in my mind it is better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them.
All my detectors have paid for themselves eventually, I have no doubt this one will too even if it did have that higher price tag.

If I hunted in great soil and normal conditions I might have thought differently but since I am not that lucky I feel the more ammo I have the better my chances will be to find success.
Plus, I love to tweak and experiment with many different settings, that is a big part of the joy I have doing this hobby, so more features equals more fun for me as far as I am concerned.
But that is me and I am weird.
Very good reply.

Enjoyed reading it!

Matt

I was just remembering when I had a White’s DFX; this detector could hunt in multi-frequencies and had a ton of user adjustments. While I liked hunting with it, I always wondered if I had the settings “just right” because there were so many to adjust. I bought a couple books on the DFX and learned quite a bit about the settings and I did have success with it but I still always felt like there was an adjustment or two I could tweak to optimize my hunting. I sold it and bought an X-Terra 705; much simpler and I never felt like I was missing something.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the 800; just reminds of those days hunting with the DFX and second guessing myself as far as the settings being the best for the environment I was hunting in. Just my $.02😀

I would say the 800 if you can afford it. The wireless, plus the WMO-8 , the adjustable backlite is big if you hunt at dusk or in the dark. The adjustable tones , gold mode, all are extra features that make the Equinox that much more versatile. IMO. Good luck, Mark

I just got mine Friday. Haven't hunted with it yet but I made my decision based on the fact that although saltwater beaches are a long , long way from me, their is still some gold to be found close by.
If you want the gold program, you have no choice but to get the 800. Cant wait to get out this week and see if all the hype was worth it.

Everyone keeps talking the 800 and wireless..... the 600 is also wireless!! Just buy the headphones!!! That’s what I did!!! Nothing else needed!!

Get the 600 and save some dough!!!

I am think of trading in my beloved XTerra 705 and a Teknetics Liberator in towards the Nox. I'm hesitant because I am attached to the 705. It's found me some nice stuff but I feel like I have out grown it. It has been my main detector since I traded someone here on FMDF for my AT Pro. I also an afraid I won't like the Nox and want my 705 back.

I am think of trading in my beloved XTerra 705 and a Teknetics Liberator in towards the Nox. I'm hesitant because I am attached to the 705. It's found me some nice stuff but I feel like I have out grown it. It has been my main detector since I traded someone here on FMDF for my AT Pro. I also an afraid I won't like the Nox and want my 705 back.

I thought the same thing....I was afraid I wouldn’t like the Nox, well after a couple hunts it started sniffing silver at a Much quicker rate than my MXT did, and honestly I haven’t touch my MXT since I got my Nox

I was very attached to my At pro, I still am but I haven't used it much since the Eq 800 came in.

Last edited:
I would say the 800 if you can afford it. The wireless, plus the WMO-8 , the adjustable backlite is big if you hunt at dusk or in the dark. The adjustable tones , gold mode, all are extra features that make the Equinox that much more versatile. IMO. Good luck, Mark
I forgot about the WM-08...lol.

Yeah..get the 800.

Go try to buy WM-08 and headphones seperately....cost you a fortune.

Matt.

I just got mine Friday. Haven't hunted with it yet but I made my decision based on the fact that although saltwater beaches are a long , long way from me, their is still some gold to be found close by.
If you want the gold program, you have no choice but to get the 800. Cant wait to get out this week and see if all the hype was worth it.
Nice one!

Have fun...just don't get to frustrated on your first couple of hunts coz it may seem a bit overwhelming.

But...when u start to understand what it's saying to you...omg....it"s a beast!!

Matt.

I thought the same thing when I bought my Equinox so I held on to my 705 just in case, so far I have used the 705 once since and really wished I had brought my Nox instead. I really love the 705 but the Nox is so much better IMO, It's kinda like a X-Terra on steroids. The fact that your very familiar with the 705 I am confident that you will love the Nox.

Back
Top Bottom