Buying Tesoro?

tag1260

Got a question regarding people buying Tesoro detectors.

Did people like the DETECTORS or did they like the warranty more. Seems as though once they went out of business the second hand market died with them. I use to see them last a day or less now I see them not selling at all.

Any thoughts?

I have an old one that I never, ever clicked with, so no, I didn't like their detectors. I think in my case anyway, it was just not my cup of tea type of machine. It had no display and was devilishly hard for me to understand. I like just about any machine with a display better than a high end Tesoro. Having said that, they were supposed to be awesome machines, and in the right hands I bet they were.

Everyone is different and their reasons will vary. Many did buy because the warranty and many love the machine. I think the biggest reason people aren't buying now is the fear that they won't be able to get them repaired. They were and still are outstanding detectors that are light, fast and several models are very deep.

Yes, That's exactly what I'm talking about. It should not be there by now. I too, have a Vaquero that I'd like to sell ( I have three, don't ask) but I see no reason to list it anymore. I see Tesoros on marketplace and Craigslist and even Ebay and the ones on Ebay are the only ones selling and only then at bargain basement prices.

Simple yet effective-(Not a homer) but I think my “clicking with it” directly ties to weight, ease of use, and finds!

I also think whatever a person enjoys using is the most effective machine to use because if you don’t enjoy it you won’t be using it long.

I had a vaquero maybe 5 years ago. For the life of me i couldn't tune it to pick up a silver dime deeper than 5" in my soil. I tried for over 2 years and i would double check using it on likely silver dime targets my MXT sniffed out. Ironically i needed a water machine and i put a water proof box on the vaquero and i was hitting silver coins/ smaller gold rings in the 18"-24" under water in sand. Took forever to scoop that deep and the machine would give a waiverry round sound for the deep round targets once i got the hang of it. For reference I also have a CZ-21 / Sword Excal and they don't come anywhere close to the depth the vaquero would get in the inland water. Lol long ramble but they were very well built, but for some reason didn't like the dirt in my area.

Got a question regarding people buying Tesoro detectors.

Did people like the DETECTORS or did they like the warranty more. Seems as though once they went out of business the second hand market died with them. I use to see them last a day or less now I see them not selling at all.

Any thoughts?

People that detected before screens, numbers, and pictures understand and appreciate the capability and reliability of Tesoros and other analog beepers. But if your age don't fit, you don't hafta quit...just follow the numbers and arrows and have fun.:cool3::cool3:

(The person with the Tesoro will be at the other end of the field on they're way back...check their finds pouch):yes:

I've bought, tried and sold a lot of different detectors. I still own a bunch of the latest and greatest detectors. However, my best finds have been made with Tesoro detectors. By far the most gold jewelry that I found has been with Tesoro detectors. Tesoro detectors are fun to use and are deadly in the right hands.

beephead

I've bought, tried and sold a lot of different detectors. I still own a bunch of the latest and greatest detectors. However, my best finds have been made with Tesoro detectors. By far the most gold jewelry that I found has been with Tesoro detectors. Tesoro detectors are fun to use and are deadly in the right hands.

beephead

You found that gold coin with a tesoro didn't you?

Hi Woodbutcher, another great topic.....thanks for asking.
It seems to me that there are not as many used Tesoro's for sale at least on my local Craigslist, on Ebay and on the forums I visit........maybe I'm wrong. Most of those that are for sale seem to be priced a little too high in my opinion.

My first real detector was the original Tesoro Lobo. I then bought the Lobo Super Traq after it came out and found plenty of gold from prospecting with it. It was pretty heavy and I never really liked it all that much but it definitely got the job done.

After I figured out that newer detectors actually had screens and multiple tones and I could hunt for jewelry and coins, I started trying them out. I like detectors a lot. Sounds like you do too Woody and there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying one thinking you might sell it in a month or two.....They are fun to try out.

Even when I started using more modern detectors I always had a Tesoro and the list is long, Compadre, Cutlass II, Silver Micro Max, Vaquero, Mojave and my absolute favorite=the Cibola.

Currently, I have a really expensive Tesoro-like detector that becomes a single high tone, beep and dig detector on coin sized targets deeper than 5" in my dirt which everybody knows as the XP Deus.

If a Cibola with a DD coil in good shape came along for less than $200 I would seriously consider buying it right now. Great tonal variation, excellent discrimination, gives my right thumb a nice workout, I don't need my glasses to see it, and the factory preset ground balance is perfect for my bad dirt. I could never get my Vaquero (same platform) to settle down long enough to enjoy it. The Cibola runs so smooth..........

Jeff

Yes, That's exactly what I'm talking about. It should not be there by now. I too, have a Vaquero that I'd like to sell ( I have three, don't ask) but I see no reason to list it anymore. I see Tesoros on marketplace and Craigslist and even Ebay and the ones on Ebay are the only ones selling and only then at bargain basement prices.

it would seem that the tesoro's that are much in demand are at the "lower"
end" for years tesoros sold a ton of single tone lower priced detectors that were/are very popular.why? because they worked, found aton of good stuff, were lightweight, and easy/simple to use...nothing's changed, as people still appreciate the simplicity, and remarkable ability of a single tone tesoro to pull the goodies.their discrimination circuits (ed 180) are the best in the game.you won't see many for sale, and if you do, they don't last long!..i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

tag1260: Got a question regarding people buying Tesoro detectors.

Did people like the DETECTORS or did they like the warranty more.
I use a lot of detectors, often aged beyond their warranty period or that I acquired used and w/o any warranty. I never let a warranty be a concern with a quality, well- built detector.

I currently have 4 Tesoro's, 2-each of my favorite models. And, like ALL the Tesoro's I've owned and enjoyed, it was for their design and performance, never a thought about warranty. I was a Tesoro Dealer for a long, long time and I never pushed the Lifetime Warranty because it was much easier to simply demonstrate what they had to offer with their light weight and performance afield.

tag1260: Seems as though once they went out of business the second hand market died with them. I use to see them last a day or less now I see them not selling at all.

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately Tesoro closed their doors, but it was mainly due to them not having a good engineer and being able to bring newer model designs to market. It's a tough business these days, and with all the major discounting going on and the lack of "local dealers" and detecting clubs and such, Tesoro just couldn't compete with the flash-and-fancy of the Target ID and Tone ID offerings we have.

Lacking a good engineer, a good website and staying more active on-line, along with poor marketing decisions in recent years it all added up to their demise. However, although the company is gone, the products are still in use and working well as a whole. I know I didn't get rid of my terrific set of Tesoro's just because they are out-of-business because mine work great for the applications I use them for.

Well built and offer reliable performance. Who needs a warranty?

Monte

Never discount the ability of a Tesoro to find treasures. Never worried about warranty. Tesoros are like Timex watches, they keep working. Never had to use a Tesoro warranty. I have had old and new models.............Prices have steadly dropped on many Tesoro models and some of the highly desirable models have somewhat holding at the higher prices.

I am actually waiting for one model to drop in price a bunch more and then grab one.

I have been trying to get my hands on one, honestly. A ton of options and a digital screen are nice (some complain that their high-end detectors don't come with a clock... I mean, c'mon!) but I greatly appreciate simplicity. You remember the old KISS rule. One battery, a few settings, and enough power that you have some to spare? Count me in. Sure, a lifetime warranty is nice but unless it's a thousand-dollar machine, if I get a few years out of one before it experiences problems I figure I did pretty well and will just buy another one.

I have an old one that I never, ever clicked with, so no, I didn't like their detectors. I think in my case anyway, it was just not my cup of tea type of machine. It had no display and was devilishly hard for me to understand. I like just about any machine with a display better than a high end Tesoro. Having said that, they were supposed to be awesome machines, and in the right hands I bet they were.

I had a Cibola and hated it. It basically bored me to death. I want the ability change settings and tweak the detector to learn about the different ways things affect searching.

Back
Top Bottom