Minelab FBS users sound off!

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
With all the newfangled detectors on the market, I wonder how many here still swing an FBS machine as their primary?

I've owned a lot of different detectors over the years and still own a few different ones, but for the type of hunting I do, I just keep reaching for my 3030. Loved the Etrac as well. Yeah, they're a bit heavy and require a slower sweep speed, but FBS is something special IMHO. I guess these machines just speak to me in a way that no other detector does. Still the undisputed king of coin shooting in my book.

Anyway, just curious how many here still own and love these metal detectors?

With all the newfangled detectors on the market, I wonder how many here still swing an FBS machine as their primary?

I've owned a lot of different detectors over the years and still own a few different ones, but for the type of hunting I do, I just keep reaching for my 3030. Loved the Etrac as well. Yeah, they're a bit heavy and require a slower sweep speed, but FBS is something special IMHO. I guess these machines just speak to me in a way that no other detector does. Still the undisputed king of coin shooting in my book.

Anyway, just curious how many here still own and love these metal detectors?

There are still packs of useers who will never quit their SE machines, even for an Etrac. I still own both myself. the SE Pro and the Etrac. Just hearing that silver tone again from that SE in my test garden, ALWAYS reminds me of how much "elegant fun" that thing is for coin hunting,,, it is nearly infallible. I love the Fe/Co and smart screen.

Thing is though, they are slow. Their weights don't bother me in the least. The Etrac is quicker than the SE, but it just don't match up to that sweet silver tone of the SE. Close to it, but never as sweet.

The multi freq of the Equinox has been so rewarding in my hard hunted, trashy spots. it separates so well, and fast. The ID does make me dig more holes. I wish an Fe/Co Nox would be created.

I like all of my Minelabs. They will each get used in their particular environment.

My Etrac is my go-to detector.
Sound, accurate ID numbers and depth indicator are my reasons why.
Nothing hunts down deep silver like an FBS!

OH LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY DeWayne! What are you trying to do, start WW3??:lol: Yes, of course...you KNOW the CTX is MY “go to” machine, but I think Martin is absolutely spot on also....Minelab makes some fabulous metal detectors and us hobbyists can pick and choose what we want to use in a certain spot. Some days I feel like an Explorer...other days an EQX....but MOST days....a CTX...regardless, with three generations at hand, I never feel like I’m missing anything.
FBS absolutely ROCKED the world when it came out, and it’s still rockin’ mine!

I just dug a couple silvers yesterday with the old explorer :yes: I make sure I always have at least one FBS in my arsenal at all times. The results speak for themselves...

Attachments

• 1213191314_Film4.jpg
    1213191314_Film4.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 455
My main go to detector is the nox 800. It unmasks better than my ctx and etrac. But i carry my Etrac on every trip and here is why.

Recently i got a new permission. I found 3 silver halves , 2 mercs, a rosie and a small coin spill with several wheats and a silver nickel and some steel crusty pennies. All this came on one side of the house site. When i moved to the other side i encountered emi from somewhere and at first i just turned down the sens and it was ok. But ,,,, i started getting solid 24-31 targets and they were all some kind of curved shiny metal,, im guessing fragments of piston heads. They were every foot or so and i cannot ignore those lol. I also found some other things like spark plugs and !!!!. So frustrated i grabbed my etrac and no problem with emi and was really easy to ID the curved piston fragments. I found they came in from 5-43 to 9-46. Found a merc, rosie and some wheats but it was getting dark by then and i have not been back. But when i do go back i will use my Etrac on that side of house to save my back.

So glad to have a FBS machine that day. I would love to see a modern lighter version of it with a v3i color display lol.

I'd love to try out an Etrac or CTX. I totally "get" why they have their time and place. It says a lot that the used market isn't flooded with them at a big discount. I don't know enough local detectorists to meet up and try one out.

To justify the cost of even a used CTX I feel like I'd need to be a productive beach hunter selling my gold finds.

My main go to detector is the nox 800. It unmasks better than my ctx and etrac. But i carry my Etrac on every trip and here is why.

Recently i got a new permission. I found 3 silver halves , 2 mercs, a rosie and a small coin spill with several wheats and a silver nickel and some steel crusty pennies. All this came on one side of the house site. When i moved to the other side i encountered emi from somewhere and at first i just turned down the sens and it was ok. But ,,,, i started getting solid 24-31 targets and they were all some kind of curved shiny metal,, im guessing fragments of piston heads. They were every foot or so and i cannot ignore those lol. I also found some other things like spark plugs and !!!!. So frustrated i grabbed my etrac and no problem with emi and was really easy to ID the curved piston fragments. I found they came in from 5-43 to 9-46. Found a merc, rosie and some wheats but it was getting dark by then and i have not been back. But when i do go back i will use my Etrac on that side of house to save my back.

So glad to have a FBS machine that day. I would love to see a modern lighter version of it with a v3i color display lol.

THIS^^^^^ is a REALLY good observation....when the Ferrous numbers are between 4 and 9 it has been exclusively junk. In fact, I can’t recall ever having a coin of any kind ID with those numbers. This is where the FECO readout earns its keep over and over.

I'd love to try out an Etrac or CTX. I totally "get" why they have their time and place. It says a lot that the used market isn't flooded with them at a big discount. I don't know enough local detectorists to meet up and try one out.

To justify the cost of even a used CTX I feel like I'd need to be a productive beach hunter selling my gold finds.

Something like an Explorer would also do the trick to satisfy your curiosity TS. They can be bought for much less, and also have mad skills. The issue most of the time is that because they have a steeper learning curve than most machines, many of them go to another home or sit in the closet because the owner didn’t take the progression anywhere NEAR far enough. It takes work, and you don’t seem to be afraid of that! It might be something to pursue down the road...

OH LAWDY LAWDY LAWDY DeWayne! What are you trying to do, start WW3??:lol: Yes, of course...you KNOW the CTX is MY “go to” machine, but I think Martin is absolutely spot on also....Minelab makes some fabulous metal detectors and us hobbyists can pick and choose what we want to use in a certain spot. Some days I feel like an Explorer...other days an EQX....but MOST days....a CTX...regardless, with three generations at hand, I never feel like I’m missing anything.
FBS absolutely ROCKED the world when it came out, and it’s still rockin’ mine!

LOL! Nah Kevin, not trying to start a war. Just curious how many people still use an FBS detector as their primary. I really do enjoy my Equinox and Deus, but they're sort of specialty detectors for me. The CTX is my go-do detector in most situations. How I use them sort of goes like this:

CTX 3030 (the M16 of my arsenal):
*General coin shooting & jewelry hunting
*Sites loaded with modern trash - This covers most of the sites I hunt.
*Curb strip hunting
*Home permissions - Accurate ID and depth meter lets me dig selectively without making too many unnecessary holes.
*Any site where good discrimination is needed.

Equinox 800 w/6" coil (the sniper rifle of my arsenal):
*Sites blanketed with iron
*Sites that have been pounded with other detectors

XP Deus (the side arm of my arsenal):
*Scouting and relic hunting
*Older sites without a lot of modern trash
*Loaner when friends or family come along

Never used an Explorer but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I just dug a couple silvers yesterday with the old explorer :yes: I make sure I always have at least one FBS in my arsenal at all times. The results speak for themselves...

Heck yeah man! I just got a couple more silvers with my 3030 yesterday as well. Sweet 12-44/45 tone at 8" which turned out to be a well worn 1892-o Barber dime, then a solid 12-45/46 which turned out to be a 1917-D Merc. Love the tones and ID on these detectors!

My ctx is my only machine and will remain so till minelabs next flagship. Which hopefully uses both multi IQ and fbs

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I love my silver sniffin' Safari, but it is too dang heavy. Now lovin' my Nox. I just wish the morons at Minelab would make more coils for the Nox, An 8" coil hardly ever leaves my Safari and that 8" has bagged a one reale at ten inches.

I bought an ETrac years ago but rarely use it, as my old Explorer II gets better depth, hands down.

I have heard this before from another who used explorer II. How much deeper do you feel like it is? Did the loss of depth on the Etrac and CTX result from the way they changed the Etrac and CTX to make coins go to the 12 line?

I have heard this before from another who used explorer II. How much deeper do you feel like it is? Did the loss of depth on the Etrac and CTX result from the way they changed the Etrac and CTX to make coins go to the 12 line?
Not sure what you mean by the 12 line. I’ve used two identically set up Etracs both equipped with 10x12” SEF coils, and Explorer II with same 10x12” coil. The Etracs had a difficult time with a mercury dime at 8-9”, the Explorer no problem. I would say maybe a 1-1/2” depth advantage in neutral soil.

You might be onto something there TF.
AMC....He’s talking about how the FE numbers are “normalized” on the etrac and CTX. I also am of the opinion that the Explorer has more “raw horsepower” just from observations of coins dug. Soils will have a profound effect on these results at times as well. That being said...the CTX has found me the vast majority of silver coins, but I also use it the most.

Hmmm.. Maybe I need to add an Explorer to my arsenal.

Can't complain about my 3030 though. Damn thing loves silver! I was out hunting with DiggerDug again Saturday and got "sat down". :yes:

Back
Top Bottom