Digging tools: Looking for single tool to replace my Predator model 75c and Sampson 31".

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
Right now I currently carry a Predator 75c and a Sampson 31".. They work great as a combination but carrying around the big Sampson can be a pain. The 75c is great for tearing into hard ground, but the blade is very narrow making it difficult to cut a plug quickly or scoop out dirt. I'd love to find something close to the size of the Predator 75c with a sharp tip but much wider.. Something that could move more dirt, more quickly..

I've looked at the shorter Sampson but not really interested in it.

I've also been eyeballing the Predator Model 31c but have concerns about how well it would do in tough ground. The tip is not as pointed and its lacking the handguard which I like to use for leverage to push the digger into the ground.

Basically I'd like to find something that's easy to carry, moves a lot of dirt quickly but will still work as a "pick" to chisel out coins or relics in hard ground. Does anyone make such a tool? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 468
I hear what you said about the 18 inch Sampson.........But just get one and use it and I bet It fits the bill of what your looking for !!!! I do love mine Igot to say !!!

If your 31 is a T-handle I would not chop that down,as the T handle helps greatly in what your after for prying and digging with out twisting out. I have both the 31 and the 18 inch Sampson with the " T " handles which work fantastic. JMO

If your 31 is a T-handle I would not chop that down,as the T handle helps greatly in what your after for prying and digging with out twisting out. I have both the 31 and the 18 inch Sampson with the " T " handles which work fantastic. JMO

Oh I'll be keeping the T either way. I work at a metal fabrication shop, so welding another T on is no problem.

I have both the 31' and 18" T- handles. I rarely use the 31' since the 18" works for me. I carry it on my belt and it is hardly noticeable since my arm is usually over it. I have never had any problems carrying it this way.
MiniT.jpg

I have both the 31' and 18" T- handles. I rarely use the 31' since the 18" works for me. I carry it on my belt and it is hardly noticeable since my arm is usually over it. I have never had any problems carrying it this way.
View attachment 340470

Nice. I'm going to chop mine down today.. For carry, I used a little clip I came up with a while back.. Works pretty well. Should be much better with the shortened version.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=168975&highlight=hipclip

Well that was easy enough.. I'll have to try it out and see how I like it compared to the 31" version.

Attachments

• IMG_3842.JPG
    IMG_3842.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 405
I made a simple carrier out of a piece of scrap leather and bent a couple of brackets into shape.
m1a.jpg
It isn't that noticeable because my arm usually covers most of it.
Carry2.jpg
Carry1.jpg
I have carried it this way for several years without problems. The shovel doesn't swing while you walk. It also works with the 31" if you are tall enough. I'm 6'1".

Nice Fabricating from long to short

Rattlehead, that looks like right from the factory ! Nice job fabricating to a short shovel ! Let us hear back how it works out .

I made a simple carrier out of a piece of scrap leather and bent a couple of brackets into shape.
It isn't that noticeable because my arm usually covers most of it.

I have carried it this way for several years without problems. The shovel doesn't swing while you walk. It also works with the 31" if you are tall enough. I'm 6'1".

Nice looking carry method. :cheers:

Rattlehead, that looks like right from the factory ! Nice job fabricating to a short shovel ! Let us hear back how it works out .

Thanks! :cheers: I'll definitely post back here once I've had a chance to try it out.

Tried it out over the weekend and I'm pretty happy with it. Naturally its more difficult to push it into the ground while standing, but the pros outweigh the cons IMHO.. I can push it into the ground pretty easily from my knees with the T-handle, its much more manageable to dig with while on my knees, and its much easier to carry now. It moves A LOT more dirt than my Predator 75c, and cuts nicer plugs. Glad I did it!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!

Good to hear! You did a real nice job shortening that shovel !!! I do like my 18 inch Sampson as well . Best of Hunts with it !

Good to hear! You did a real nice job shortening that shovel !!! I do like my 18 inch Sampson as well . Best of Hunts with it !

Thanks! :cheers:

I like the mod. Nice job. Are you OK? Did you lose a finger??? Lol!!! saw all the blood on the table and got worried.

Thanks and no worries... It's just some spilled paint. lol :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like mine as well.

Attachments

• bomb hanger2.jpg
    bomb hanger2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 275
  • WP_20150211_009.jpg
    WP_20150211_009.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 278
  • T hanger2.jpg
    T hanger2.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 282
  • bomb hanger1.jpg
    bomb hanger1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 276
I would love something in between the 18" and 31". 31 is just a tad too long to carry without it catching up on my boots, but I LOVE how it cuts and digs. I think one about 28" would be perfect for me. Since I'm no welder, it would probably be cheaper to ask the manufacturer for a custom one than to pay someone to cut and re-weld mine.

Back
Top Bottom