Bounty Hunter Pioneer Prospector

sndmntboy

I saw one of these at Walmart for $50. Anybody had any experience with one of these? I know thats pretty cheap and was wondering if it would be a good one to start with. I will mostly be coin shooting.

Jason

Is that thing actually a Bounty Hunter? I thought it was a Famous Trails or something similar. Here is what comes up for the Prospector on Bounty Hunter's website.

http://www.detecting.com/products/product.cmdl?c=e0109bb4afb45209

If you look at the "fine print" in the Walmart ad, that thing is imported and only has a one year warranty. I have stuck up for Bounty Hunter for a long time thinking that they get a bad rap, but if they are going to be putting out stuff like that thing, they are going to lose someone who used to recommend them from time to time.

I hate to say this, but run away from that thing as fast as you can.

Doug

The units that Wally World sells are even cheaper versions of the ones out in the real world.
This is just a price point issue...for folks that do not know any better, or read forums like this.
I have a Pioneer EX from Wally World, no headphone jack like the Quicksilver or First Texas Pilot because Walmart likes em cheap.

New, these things sell for about $130...still junk compared to others.

I saw one of your posts that said you were also looking at an Ace 250 or 350.

Stay to the $200 to $300 range an you should be able to get a decent one from most reputable companies.

Below $300, get a Tesoro Silver, Compadre or even a White's Coinmaster.
Everyone is dumping the discontinued Bounty Hunter Time Ranger for about $180.
Don't know much about it, but it is top of the line in the BH series.
This will probably make a good starter unit and then a decent backup if you stay in the hobby and, like most, begin to upgrade.
Do some research on it and find out.

The tools in this hobby are not quite like others in other hobbies.

The cheaper you go the less usable features the units will have...Like discrimination, and depth...the most important things we look for in these tools.

After you cross the line, unless you are looking for nails one inch down, they are just considered toys and no fun at all to use.

You don't need top of the line to start, but the frustration of using the wrong one will drive you out of this hobby.

You get what you pay for in this hobby, usually.
Cheap does not equal fun

The funds i once had are no longer there. Thats why i was looking at a cheaper one. I guess i will save up untill spring and get a 250. Thanks for the advice.

Jason

The units that Wally World sells are even cheaper versions of the ones out in the real world.
This is just a price point issue...for folks that do not know any better, or read forums like this.
I have a Pioneer EX from Wally World, no headphone jack like the Quicksilver or First Texas Pilot because Walmart likes em cheap.

New, these things sell for about $130...still junk compared to others.

I saw one of your posts that said you were also looking at an Ace 250 or 350.

Stay to the $200 to $300 range an you should be able to get a decent one from most reputable companies.

Below $300, get a Tesoro Silver, Compadre or even a White's Coinmaster.
Everyone is dumping the discontinued Bounty Hunter Time Ranger for about $180.
Don't know much about it, but it is top of the line in the BH series.
This will probably make a good starter unit and then a decent backup if you stay in the hobby and, like most, begin to upgrade.
Do some research on it and find out.

The tools in this hobby are not quite like others in other hobbies.

The cheaper you go the less usable features the units will have...Like discrimination, and depth...the most important things we look for in these tools.

After you cross the line, unless you are looking for nails one inch down, they are just considered toys and no fun at all to use.

You don't need top of the line to start, but the frustration of using the wrong one will drive you out of this hobby.

You get what you pay for in this hobby, usually.
Cheap does not equal fun

Well put. Don't buy a cheap digger either. It's either a lesche or nothing. You WILL eventually break most other diggers. Don't cheap out on MDer pin pointer, digger or anything else either. If you buy quality stuff up front you'll be happy.

That thing would be a waste of money and only find coins laying on top of the ground anyway, you might be able to find a used 150 or 250 ace for 100-150. Even the 150 is not a bad machine I bought one for my younger cousin and I was pretty impressed by it especially compared to a lot of the BH junk they are putting out in that price range anymore. Also never buy a detector without a headphone jack, you are going to want to use headphones.

Pioneer

Those detectors are worthless...Save your money and buy something you'll get some enjoyment out of. Granted you're not gonna hit the jackpot everytime you go out. My opinion would be to pick you up an Ace 250, they are good detectors and if you decide to bail from the hobby you should not have a problem selling it secondhand.

Save some bucks and get a lifetime warranty.....Tesoro Compadre for about $150. 5 minute learning curve. Gold magnet (12 kHz)!!!

Dusty

Back
Top Bottom