Just Wondering About Something

shedigz

Elite Member
I've heard it been said on this forum that different brands of detectors will find things that other detectors missed or find things in " hunted out" sites.

I wonder if its not the detector itself or the "hunted out" site but rather that no one has ever swung over those particular targets before.

Exactly. Hence when someone says they got something out of a park that was "hunted out", then , to me, that merely means the park was not "hunted out". It doesn't mean that a park is never "hunted out.

And yes: The real test is for the person to flag the signal, and then try his old machine over the flagged signal. And honestly ask himself "would I have heard that ?" And "can I differentiate that from other clicks and clacks and something I would have truly chased?". This is where the buddy system , of 2 persons who are very fluent on their machines.

But yes: If someone goes out to a zone with a new machine, and finds a goodie, that could simply mean they are subconsciously paying more attention, or lowering their standards of accept/reject, SIMPLY because they are using a new machine. So the real test, is flagged target testing of old vs new machine.

I've heard it been said on this forum that different brands of detectors will find things that other detectors missed or find things in " hunted out" sites.

I wonder if its not the detector itself or the "hunted out" site but rather that no one has ever swung over those particular targets before.

There are many many reasons a target is supposedly not seen by another machine. I can give you lots of them.

1. Frost heave. Targets move up and down in the ground just like rocks in a farmers field. One year he will have them all, the next many many more show up in plowing distance.

2. Moisture content. Most machines will reach deeper if the ground is wet. So on dryer days, a deep target might not register on any machine.

3. Orientation. BOTH the angle you go over the target and the angle it is positioned in the ground. You might go north to south one day and east to west another and find targets you didn't hit going north to south

4. Signal strength. Some machines can detect targets better and deeper than others. Companies KNOW that and price machines accordingly.

5. You actually missed it. Just because you KNOW you went over a particular piece of ground doesn't mean your coil didn't miss going over the target by even an inch. You have concentric coils and double D coils. At its deepest detecting depth a concentric puts a cone shaped signal in the ground and might only see a deep object in an inch wide window.

6. You decided to dig it. Everyone HATES zinc pennies. However a big fat gold ring and a gold coin will ring up with the same numbers as a zincoln. With a newer machine you just decided to dig the signal and got a huge surprise.

7. You actually do have a machine that will detect deeper than another you used. A possibility also. ALL machines are NOT created equal. You can have two of the same machine side by side and one will detect a target the other will miss. Nature of electronics

8. Target separation and recovery. Again you might also have a machine that can separate a coin from a nail close by and can pick them up separately instead of seeing everything under the coil as one object.

9. Some days you are in tune with your detector. Some days you can concentrate and really hear that faint signal. Other days too much is on your mind and you just are not in the groove.

AND last but not least!

10. You bought an Equinox and it not only finds things you missed, it finds things that were never there to begin with! It just made every other machine obsolete.

After Minelab catches up with demand, they need to make obsolete detecor recycling centers and give you a trade in allowance for your old CTX, Deus, and other pieces of trash so the landfills do not get filled up too fast. :laughing:

I am sure others will chime in with more I missed. I have always sworn by my CZ's underwater. I got a Tiger Shark and was impressed with things I missed with the CZ's.

I am positive some of that was because I dug signals I got with the CZ's but decided not to dig and decided to dig them with the Tiger Shark.

I am also positive iron masked out targets with the CZ's and didn't with the Shark.

I took this from Big Boy's Hobbies page. In order to hit the deepest targets you have to move your coil less than an inch or two to hit all the ground that your detector can see.

Attachments

• coils3.jpg
    coils3.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Well if you hunt a " hunted out " site and find one or two things that were missed , it could just as easily be that nobody previously got their coil over those items as the machine making a difference. However , if you find multiple items scattered all over the site its very likely the machine is what made the difference.

I've hit some spots with the same detector probably 50 plus times. Everytime I don't find anything I say to myself it's hunted out, not a beep to be heard. Then go back another day and in the first 5-10 minutes pull a seated or barber. Happened to me 3 times in the same spot. I pass by the area often since it's in walking distance and in a wooded area so I usually spend 30 minutes hitting it everytime I go past. Will the next 10 times hitting unearth something new?? no clue, will I try again, definately since I'm there anyway.

Then there's brand loyalty, a guy will bull headedly insist his machine is the best and other brand’s are junk despite evidence to the contrary, will go out of his way to insist that it is so, argue deep into the night (and sometimes the void!), will sometimes resort to insults if his 'logic' is called into question etc etc etc, you can see it here all the time :laughing: :laughing:

I added a number 9 to my list. I find that true with some of the things I do. Sometimes when I go target practicing I can hit everything I aim at. Other days it seems like I couldn't hit a target if it was right against the barrel of the gun.

If you can concentrate on what you are doing, you are in tune with everything your machine is telling you. Sometimes you go out with a lot on your mind and you just can't hear what your machine is trying to relay to you.

10. You bought an Equinox and it not only finds things you missed, it finds things that were never there to begin with! It just made every other machine obsolete.

After Minelab catches up with demand, they need to make obsolete detecor recycling centers and give you a trade in allowance for your old CTX, Deus, and other pieces of trash so the landfills do not get filled up too fast.

Everything you guys are saying is true. You can also go over that "hunted out" site with your SAME detector and find things that YOU missed. Detector companies LOVE to use that phrase " finds things that other detectors miss" as a marketing tool to make you think that their latest detector is better than the other guy's.

Everything you guys are saying is true. You can also go over that "hunted out" site with your SAME detector and find things that YOU missed. Detector companies LOVE to use that phrase " finds things that other detectors miss" as a marketing tool to make you think that their latest detector is better than the other guy's.

EXACTLY what I was coming to post.

I hunted a field many times last Fall, finding wheaties mostly. After roughly 2 dozen hunts, I hit an 1890's Barber Quarter. Had I scanned it before, I'd have certainly dug it, as I was digging nearly everything.

Also IIRC, I pulled a silver dime and buff out of same area.

All done using the same 2 detectors an equal amount of times in the same area.

Others can say what they will.... they either didn't get a coil over it, or were "cherry picking" more than they will admit to themselves.

I do believe that is covered in number 2, 3, 5, and number 9. Lots of reasons YOU missed a target.

But number 10 covers the last part of your statement!! :laughing:

#10 is in post #9, I added it to the original.

I've been hunting an old baseball complex - girls softball fields now, but kind of out of the way. You have to know it is there to find it. Anyway, last month I went there for the first time. I took my new machine to try out and learn. I covered an area about 50' x 50' and found 8 clad quarters, about that many dimes and fewer pennies - but two of them were wheaties. I hunted it walking a north-to-south pattern, back and forth. I figured I'd found most of the good stuff there, so the next time out I was going past that area to the next part I would search, swinging my detector as I went, and I got another quarter signal in the area I had already searched. I decided I'd hunt that same 50' x 50' area again, going East/West this time. I found nearly as many coins on the second go round as I did the first! I would have thought there was no way I left THAT many good targets after the first pass. Sometimes it is just a matter of the direction you are swinging as to whether your machine 'sees' that good target among the other trash near it.

We hunt a site the same way. I like to do a site at least 2 times. I hunt North to South the first hunt and then East to West the second hunt. It seems I always get a good amount both times if it's a good site. I also always grid my hunts.

Back
Top Bottom