First water hunt.

freightdawg747

I finally took my new Excalibur out today in Charleston SC( Folly Beach). Water hunting is a lot harder work than on land. That coil takes a bit of strength to drag through the water. After hunting cleanup seemed like a pretty big deal...I am guessing if you don't clean those shaft sections they will become pretty much welded together by the salt. I pretty much took the excalibur completely apart and cleaned it all over.
By the way I found absolutely nothing.....but had a great time doing it.

I finally took my new Excalibur out today in Charleston SC( Folly Beach). Water hunting is a lot harder work than on land. That coil takes a bit of strength to drag through the water. After hunting cleanup seemed like a pretty big deal...I am guessing if you don't clean those shaft sections they will become pretty much welded together by the salt. I pretty much took the excalibur completely apart and cleaned it all over.
By the way I found absolutely nothing.....but had a great time doing it.

The Excal in the water is like trying to swing a oar against the current... I hated it in the water... My PI is so easy to swing in the water... ;)

Excal stock shaft design.

Yo Freight,
I second the motion to obtain a "straight shaft' for that new Excal. For the life of me I cannot understand why Minelab put it's guts/powerpack piggy-back that way. Of course a mere drilling of some holes 90 degrees from their present positions might make a world of difference in swinging it in the water but who wants to weaken the shaft that way?
Congrats on getting out, Folly was a temptation this weekend but the wife and I decided to stay home and take'er easy.
Keep swingin, it buids muscle and character. :-)
Jim

MT... I had a straight shaft... that wasn't the problem it was the coil drag.. I'm spoiled by my PI thats all.. the PI moves through the water like a hot knife through butter :)

MT... I had a straight shaft... that wasn't the problem it was the coil drag.. I'm spoiled by my PI thats all.. the PI moves through the water like a hot knife through butter :)

And your scoop moves through the Sand like a Backhoe:p:lol:

You PI guy's are a Whole different breed... I think that I dig enough trash with the Excal on trashy beaches. I couldn't imagine digging anymore..

I was thinking of getting a PI a few months back. It still may be an option down the road..
I figured I'd use it during the winter months when the pickins are slim.

I have 2 buddies that run 12" sunray and 15" WOT.. and That's a whole lot of pushing.. especially when the current is moving a little fast.

Jeeeeeeeeeeze you guys cry like babies........I am a short old lady and I swing an Excal with a 12" coil on it in the water . Eat your wheaties guys and build those muscles!

Jeeeeeeeeeeze you guys cry like babies........I am a short old lady and I swing an Excal with a 12" coil on it in the water . Eat your wheaties guys and build those muscles!

How deep is the water Bobbie 2 inches ;) :lol:

You PI guy's are a Whole different breed... I think that I dig enough trash with the Excal on trashy beaches. I couldn't imagine digging anymore..

I was thinking of getting a PI a few months back. It still may be an option down the road..

I have 2 buddies that run 12" sunray and 15" WOT.. and That's a whole lot of pushing.. especially when the current is moving a little fast.

MT... I will not tell you to purchase a PI and I'm not being a smart you know what here but the PI is deeper than the Excalibur I don't mind digging a little extra trash if I know I can follow a VLF user and pick up the deep gold you will not see... My first machine was the PI PRO then I tried the Excalibur and it was very good in the wet and dry sand but no where as deep as my PI in the water or wet sand... its fact... I then bought the Dual Field and was kept the PI PRO as my back up and sold the Excalibur, I have since sold my PI PRO to a board member because I wasn't using it and it was collecting dust like my DFX does.. The Excal is a fine detector and who knows maybe if I had a real trashy beach I would pick up another one but right now I want to dig deep and that is where a PI excels over the Excalibur... our beaches are hit hard and we have a very short swim season so I need all the advantage I can get and the PI gives me that advantage... the first 3 years of water hunting I averaged 50 plus gold rings a year... this year is a wash out... too much going on in my real life to hunt as much... if I have been out 6 times since last November, thats a lot...

Hey craig

mt... I will not tell you to purchase a pi and i'm not being a smart you know what here but the pi is deeper than the excalibur i don't mind digging a little extra trash if i know i can follow a vlf user and pick up the deep gold you will not see... My first machine was the pi pro then i tried the excalibur and it was very good in the wet and dry sand but no where as deep as my pi in the water or wet sand... Its fact... I then bought the dual field and was kept the pi pro as my back up and sold the excalibur, i have since sold my pi pro to a board member because i wasn't using it and it was collecting dust like my dfx does.. The excal is a fine detector and who knows maybe if i had a real trashy beach i would pick up another one but right now i want to dig deep and that is where a pi excels over the excalibur... Our beaches are hit hard and we have a very short swim season so i need all the advantage i can get and the pi gives me that advantage... The first 3 years of water hunting i averaged 50 plus gold rings a year... This year is a wash out... Too much going on in my real life to hunt as much... If i have been out 6 times since last november, thats a lot...
wanna make it 7? Love to go with ya to your dirt site near your home.heck i bet there are some of them thar cellar holes around your neck of the woods.

wanna make it 7? Love to go with ya to your dirt site near your home.heck i bet there are some of them thar cellar holes around your neck of the woods.

I have scouted out close to a dozen cellar holes that Joe and I are soon to hit Dave... sheesh don't you have enough cellar holes to hunt up there :lol: I guess we could take you along Dave... us water hunters don't know much about ticks and mud ;) I have found a couple wagon stops a mill or two and several home sites...

Sorry Freight for hijacking your thread...

Sorry Freight for Hording your thread..

Cfmct-PI: I totally agree with you, with the PI being a little deeper..

I think if your a Water hunter you should have a PI in your Arsenal..

I couldn't tell you how many times I've been to Daytona Bch, Fl in the off season and I would be lucky to walk away with some change.. After it being hunted soo much and a bit sanded in...

But with a PI I know I would have found some goodies...

But, Digging them is a whole different story.. especially with a little wave action..

I have scouted out close to a dozen cellar holes that Joe and I are soon to hit Dave... sheesh don't you have enough cellar holes to hunt up there :lol: I guess we could take you along Dave... us water hunters don't know much about ticks and mud ;) I have found a couple wagon stops a mill or two and several home sites...

Sorry Freight for hijacking your thread...

Hey.... who's picking up Dave :?:................:lol: J/K

PS. LETS DO THIS GUYS SOOOOON!! :yes:

Let's see.... water temp.35 outside temp.30...I agree MT, us PI NE GUYS are................ummmm...................CRAZY!!?? :roll: :D

Sorry Freight for Hording your thread..

Cfmct-PI: I totally agree with you, with the PI being a little deeper..

I think if your a Water hunter you should have a PI in your Arsenal..

I couldn't tell you how many times I've been to Daytona Bch, Fl in the off season and I would be lucky to walk away with some change.. After it being hunted soo much and a bit sanded in...

But with a PI I know I would have found some goodies...

But, Digging them is a whole different story.. especially with a little wave action..

We mainly hunt the winter months when the water is cold and there is snow on the ground... I perseonally don't hunt much in the summer as the beaches are so sanded in.. but we haven't had many storms over the years to really move the sand out so water hunting at least here in CT has gone downhill fast.. unless your happy with change ;)

I agree a PI is not for everyone... With me and I think I can speak for Joe we have taken the time to learn our PI's and we are pretty good knowing what is under our coils... with the dual field a bobbiepin/nail/piece of wire is a broken signal.. iron is generally a long signal with a wow sound to it and I never dig them.. I'm listening for the deepest whispers that barely break the threshold sometimes the signal drops out and these are my favorite targets to dig... I run my detectors with the gain cranked up all the way... it spits and sputters but the good stuff still comes through :) I have a couple old beaches I won't hunt because I need a VLF for them but with the economy the way it is right now I'll have to pass on a Excalibur... I regret selling it ;)

Back
Top Bottom