Cord wrapping on the Excal?

kelpike

Elite Member
I just got my Plugger 3 piece travel rod. I am trying to figure out the best way to wrap the cord around the shaft. I hope this makes sense. I like to wrap the cord and "tie" it at each joint where it will come apart to be "folded" to fit the whole thing in a backpack. I try to leave a little slack at each joint so they can come apart. Right now I use mini velcro straps but they don't work as good as I want them to. Even with the stock shaft it drove me nuts to take the shaft apart and have the cord unravel all over the place. How do you guys hold the cord in place? Any help and or pictures would be appreciated.

I just got my Plugger 3 piece travel rod. I am trying to figure out the best way to wrap the cord around the shaft. I hope this makes sense. I like to wrap the cord and "tie" it at each joint where it will come apart to be "folded" to fit the whole thing in a backpack. I try to leave a little slack at each joint so they can come apart. Right now I use mini velcro straps but they don't work as good as I want them to. Even with the stock shaft it drove me nuts to take the shaft apart and have the cord unravel all over the place. How do you guys hold the cord in place? Any help and or pictures would be appreciated.

Try some of that stretchy silicone tape that sticks to itself. The kind you see on the infomercials that says it will fix anything! :laughing:

That's what I use on my Excals and it holds everything in place much better than velcro and doesn't get sticky like tape. I found a bunch of it on Ebay really cheap, but you can get it at most hardware stores.

Start from the

unit wind till you get to the lower rod, than start from the coil to top of lower rod, don't lock the lower rod down, spin it at the end , done, Earl

Attachments

• 20110602_2.JPG
    20110602_2.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 830
From coil to top of lower rod

i have never been one for loose wires around or near the coil, so for many years now, i tape straight up the back of lower rod with tape.

above that, u can use whatever floats your boat.

i hunt mostly in the water and it is nice to have lower coil wire fastened tight

jmho

Attachments

• TAPEROD.jpg
    TAPEROD.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 678
everyone thinks I am nuts but I use zipties,,,,loose enough to where they are not putting any pressure on the cable and I wipe them down, inspect, and lubricate with super slick stuff (Ace Hardware only) after every hunt,,,,another thing that was idea I got from Dew is when using the tall man shaft the headphones tend to pull from the connector,,,wrap the wire to the top of the control unit so when there is any tension pulling, it does not pull from the connector,,,,I cant even begin to count the hours I have had including choppy water and have had no issues with the headphone cable since, before I did that, I made it 6 months before the connector cracked inside the cable at the control unit,,,,GL HH

i have never been one for loose wires around or near the coil, so for many years now, i tape straight up the back of lower rod with tape.

above that, u can use whatever floats your boat.

i hunt mostly in the water and it is nice to have lower coil wire fastened tight

jmho

I first thought of using electrical tape but was afraid that the sticky glue on the tape may wear on the cables,,,dunno :?:

Over/under with a full flop. Straight up about 10" then electrical tape. Finished with a velcro strap.

I bought a roll of Velcro and made short wraps like Whites sends with their detectors. Tape at the bottom like Max has can cut down on water drag. I look at my coil cables and see where the rub points are and wrap some tape around the wire itself just in case.

Going back to the OP's request on wrapping,....I would use the clips Dew shows up to the first lock. Using VELCRO above that will allow you to quickly loosen the coil cable at the joints. Just leave slack by wrapping very loose up the shaft (not the lower shaft). Velcro works for me. The trick is use a long piece of velcro. Wrap it around the shaft onto itself a couple wraps then lay the cable in and wrap once more. It holds tight that way and will not leave residue or cut into the soft rubber like zip ties can do.

Back
Top Bottom