Carrying cell while water detecting?

kelpike

Elite Member
How do you guys carry your cell while your in the water? Whether your in shallow water or chest deep, it seems that it should be in some type of water proof case. I am against leaving it in the car or leaving it on shore in a backpack or something. I'm sure the hard cases work best but that adds bulk and weight. I was thinking maybe some type of waterproof ziplock with a cord to hang around the neck. That way it is out of the water pretty much the whole time except for waves, splashes or slipping.

I'm not saying they don't make waterproof cases...but...I bought a "Watertight" hard case at Walmart for six bucks. Guess what? I did a test and it leaked. Then I read the small print "not submersible". It was only built for camping and maybe rain.

I used two Ziplock bags. One inside the other. They worked well, just be sure you squeeze the air out and zip them securely.

I'm sure there are good waterproof cases, though.

I use an Otterbox and carry it at the small of my back with a belt. No problems!

Leave it in the car or at home, no interruptions and if you see a shark, you won't have time to get it out and call 911 anyway. :shock:
Cliff

I see absolutely no need to have a phone. You might have a real need for one so please forgive me. Maybe you have a need, a sick child or loved one?

Me, I don't want phone calls while detecting. We have become a generation of people who need to talk all day. Walking down the side walk, driving the car, shopping for groceries and just about everything. Detach from the phone. Leave it in the car. Forget it. Enjoy the experience and turn up the headphones so you can hear faint targets.

I love guys who need their phones while detecting because they lower the volume enough to miss whisper targets and leave them for me. So, unless you really need a phone on your body all the time, leave that damn thing behind.

I see absolutely no need to have a phone. You might have a real need for one so please forgive me. Maybe you have a need, a sick child or loved one?

Me, I don't want phone calls while detecting. We have become a generation of people who need to talk all day. Walking down the side walk, driving the car, shopping for groceries and just about everything. Detach from the phone. Leave it in the car. Forget it. Enjoy the experience and turn up the headphones so you can hear faint targets.

I love guys who need their phones while detecting because they lower the volume enough to miss whisper targets and leave them for me. So, unless you really need a phone on your body all the time, leave that damn thing behind.
Great post my friend......:yes:

I completely agree with you that our society needs to detach from our phones. However, between my wife, my kids and my grandchild, I feel the need to have it with me in case of an emergency. Most of the time, and especially while I'm detecting, my phone is on silent. I just simply look at it for a flashing light telling me of a text or call every once in a while when I stop for some type of break. Plus I do not like leaving valuables in my vehicle. I always view public parking lots as a place for thieves to get a quick easy score of our hard earned valuables.

A phone is good to have if only for emergencies. Face it, some of us older guys could develop unexpected chest pains, for example, and need to call 911 on the spot. ;)

Well, maybe my way works but it's a cheesy water proof way. I put things I can't allow to get wet in zip lock bags. Some I squeeze the air out of. Others I let stay full like a balloon so it floats if need be. Been doing this for yrs. Use two if you think it may leak. Just use one size smaller and put it in the larger one. I have cool vests with pockets all around. So they can carry a ton of different things.

Yep society makes us feel like we need a phone 24/7. Often mine wont work in canyons and other places I am working. BUT..... my dads nearly 80 yrs. old. I want that phone with me all the time for his sake. He'll call me before an ambulance. So I feel better and so does he so he can call me at a moments notice. Better safe...... then sorry!

WHY would you want a phone while detecting?? LOL the last thing I want is ANY inturuptions. NOTHING in life is that big of an emergency that you can't have time to yourself. Trust me on that.

I was scuba diving when my parents were killed. I couldn't do anything anyway. I was home when my wife died for almost a year and a half.

Having electronics and having to be tethered to the world is sad and not needed in my opinion.

If you can't have time to yourself and as much time as you want, maybe your detecting at the wrong time. LOL my 2¢ FREE!!!!

I carry mine in a soft waterproof pouch while wading and it's always accessible in the boat or on my float while diving. If you don't want to be bothered just turn it off, but you never know when having a phone handy will save your life or the life of someone else. If you are injured, have a medical issue, witness an accident or someone in distress having a phone handy means that you may be able to contact help if necessary.

Also, as a small business owner I have more free time thanks to my cell phone, not less. I can handle business calls and emails while out detecting or fishing and without the phone I would be stuck at my desk answering those calls or be at risk of losing those sales. If the phone rings I don't have to answer it, but I like having that option.

I leave mine in the car. It is one of the few times I can get away from it. When I hunt, I enjoy my "me" time. No phones allowed.

My daughter used to claim she "needed" a cell phone to keep with her in case of emergencies. I just told her she survived 14 years without a cell phone or emergency so the odds against her "needing" one now are pretty good :lol:

I personally wouldnt carry one with me unless I forgot to remove it and leave it behind , just the way I think about it if I am that busy or indesposed it can wait like it did back in the days before cell phones. Ahhhh......the good old days when we didnt live in fear of being "unplugged" from the world for a little while because something "might" happen.

But different strokes for different folks. I have heard good stuff about the otterboxes.

How do you guys carry your cell while your in the water? Whether your in shallow water or chest deep, it seems that it should be in some type of water proof case. I am against leaving it in the car or leaving it on shore in a backpack or something. I'm sure the hard cases work best but that adds bulk and weight. I was thinking maybe some type of waterproof ziplock with a cord to hang around the neck. That way it is out of the water pretty much the whole time except for waves, splashes or slipping.

When using a zip lock bag. Just pucker up and suck the air out, then seal the bags. Place a rubber band around it, so it will not activate the phone, and the rubber band will keep the phone from moving around in your pocket.

Just spray'em down with some of that spray on water repellent , that should do it , hell , you can make a john boat out of a screen door with that stuff , it ought to work on a phone ,,,,:laughing:

I use an Otterbox in the small of my back. Waterproof! You get what you pay for.

Why carry a phone? Emergencies!

Did you ever step on something? Have something go through your foot? Tent stakes, Ray tails, broken bottle, fish hooks, any piece of sharp metal could ruin your day.

Did you ever twist an ankle or a knee and try to walk in sand for blocks?

Have you ever been approached by a person or persons and want to call the cops?

Did you ever think you might see someone else in trouble or witness something and would like to call emergency personnel?

Did you ever wish you could turn your phone on and see how close that storm is getting?

Did you ever lock your keys in the car?

I'll carry a phone. It doesn't mean I'm going to chat with the wife. It means I'm taking advantage of modern technology to make sure my hunt is safe and fun.

I had to tell a girlfriend one time her father died of a heart attack in the mountains while deer hunting. You never know what will happen. Be prepared.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom