Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Eye Popping, Mind Blowing Finds

Old 10-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Default Another George Washington Inaugural Button

Wow. I just found this button a few hours ago. I still canít believe it. I do have a few questions - Iím hoping someone can help me but before I ask hereís how this happened. I live in South Jersey and I went to this huge field that Iíve hit 30-50 times over the years. Iím at the point now where when I go, I rarely get any solid signals...itís like you get these small blips and 95% of the time itís just iron but every now and then something interesting pops up. Anyway, I was in a section thatís very trashy - I believe itís a trash pit from colonial times? I say this because when I dig, I hit a lot of bricks, glass, pieces of ceramic plates, iron, etc. I have the Etrac and this field has produced colonial relics, coins, buttons, etc. The numbers on my Etrac 12-37. Now every time I find a dandy button, I like pray that I see a GW or Eagle or whatever and there it was. It was only like 4 inches down. Itís a shame that itís bent but I donít care. Itís a friggin GW button. I donít even know if the shank is still there. Thereís a clump of dirt on the back that Iím nervous to remove. I was in this field for 4 hours and other than this button and a wheat penny, all junk. One of my best days (if you can believe it). So hereís my question - I havenít cleaned the button. I normally use water and tooth pick it but as some of you know, sometimes with coins the dirt actually helps outline images on the coin- Iíve made the mistake before where I rinse off the dirt and the outline is completely gone and it makes it harder to see the image. Is there a professional company that will clean the button and or restore it (maybe flatten it? If thatís a stupid question - my apologies. I would love for a professional to clean it up so I can display it in my office or something. Any recommendations?
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 05:14 PM

I say another GW button because it appears someone else found one👍
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 PM

I just found one myself. Thinking about finding a professional restorer. Trouble is I don't know of one. Mine is the eagle with the star above its head. My story is similar to yours, Big corn field with few targets. Been to the field at least 20 times with little to show. The next time i detected there I found an 1821 dime. Since finding the dime I've spent over 4 hours among the stalks with nothing to show for it

If you find a restorer, let me know. and i will do the same for you, if i locate one

Old 10-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Supporter

Good work the both of you! Maybe they came off the same guys coat!

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:03 PM

Hey Jack where u from. Eastern CT here. I know 3 people who have found these buttons, but they are still very rare. We should consider ourselves luck.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:07 PM

Incredible find! Congrats.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:49 AM
Elite Member

Dream find in bad shape 😞

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Elite Member

Congrats on the button! Excellent find!

Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 AM

Wow, what a find! Beautiful in any condition!

Old 10-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Thatís just amazing to me. A find like that makes everything worth it. Congratulations.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:23 AM

WOW! CONGRATS! Hope you can find someone that can restore that treasure for display let us know how that goes.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Wow great finds. I'm in CT too. I'd love to find one. Maybe one day........

Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

killer find. Congratulations!

Old 10-29-2019, 05:45 PM

Interesting find. Good job. I personally wouldnít spend a dime even trying to restore it . Love it like you found it. It might get ruined by attempting to mess with it and even then if value is what you want I donít think itís worth much in that condition anyway.