Beach Franklin Half

MTJosh

Elite Member
Was out in socal couple weeks ago for client meetings. My friends scouted a few beaches but no erosion. Meeting ended early so went to the beach to relax. To my surprise this beach had a big cut. Just luck I found the one stretch in miles that had erosion. Flat and softer sand under it but never know. Next day borrowed friends detector and hit it. Plenty of junk but enough good targets to make it fun. My 5th target of the day I hear clunk in the scoop. Look in to see big purple disc. My 2nd silver half ever off this beach and my first Franklin half from anywhere - beach or turf. Found one well worn wheat too. Was great to get out at the beach. Will do my best to plan business trips to coincide with negative tides.

Attachments

• Franklin Half.jpg
    Franklin Half.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 629
  • beach finds april 2018.jpg
    beach finds april 2018.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 591
Congrats on that Big Ben and also for being attentive and prepared Josh! A lot of success in Life is Timing, paying attention, Opportunistically aware....Your post is the perfect case in point!

It never ceases to amaze me what is found

I'd never have guessed that you'd find something that old on a beach...a modern one, maybe...but a Franklin? Amazing

I'd never have guessed that you'd find something that old on a beach...a modern one, maybe...but a Franklin? Amazing

I've pulled a walker, many mercs, couple buffs, and silver GWs off this beach. socal beaches go back over 100 years of coin depositors. A couple old gold rings too. This time was my first harmonica reed off a beach. One good thing is most socal beached don't have replenishment. so items lost 100yrs ago might get eroded out anytime. Or mainly the beach sand recyles itself. This is why 2 feet from the Franklin I pulled a zinclon.

I love those Big Silvers, Always a welcome sight in the scoop!

And Franklin's are a rare find for most at the beach.

Nice one Josh! Gotta love big silver! That's definitely a good beach for pulling oldies when the time is right :yes:

Very cool find. Walkers seem to be more common than Bens so it is always nice to see one.

When I lived in Santa Monica I always hoped for some oldies as they have well over 100 years of history but I found out that currents keep stealing the sand from Malibu and making the beach deeper. Malibu tried to sue Santa Monica saying they wanted their sand back but they lost the battle and ended up trucking many tons of sand from an Arizona desert.

I never get tired of seeing beach black-ish grey- discs in my scoop.

Thanks everyone. That Franklin made my day.

When I lived in Santa Monica I always hoped for some oldies as they have well over 100 years of history but I found out that currents keep stealing the sand from Malibu and making the beach deeper. Malibu tried to sue Santa Monica saying they wanted their sand back but they lost the battle and ended up trucking many tons of sand from an Arizona desert.

Funny sand fact. When Manhattan beach was being developed they leveled many of the natural dunes for development. Hawaii was starting to boom too. The main area in Hawaii didn't have pretty white sand beaches it has today. Manhattan beach sold and shipped it's sand to Hawaii. Always fun to have CA people travel to Hawaii to then spend time on CA sand.

Back
Top Bottom