1854 Canadian One Penny Bank Token

Buellride

Forum Supporter
No silver on the past 2 hunts in the same curbstrips that have really produced for me. But on these last 2 hunts I have been finding a respectable amount of wheat pennies and today I found 3 additional wheats. But the most interesting and surprising find was a 1854 Canadian One Penny Bank Token! The size made me think I found a clad half dollar or so but upon further investigation I realized what I actually had.

Below is a quick excerpt about the coin. Very cool find for me :cool:

Between 1850 and 1857 the Bank of Upper Canada issued a series of handsome penny and halfpenny copper tokens. The obverse of a penny token issued in 1850 is shown and features a St. George and the dragon motif encircled by the legend BANK OF UPPER CANADA and the date. The St. George motif was designed by Benedetto Pistrucci for the British sovereign of 1817 and is considered to be the definitive representation of the theme. The token is about the size of a Canadian silver dollar and is part of the National Currency Collection, Bank of Canada.

Attachments

• 12_16 Canadian One Penny Front.jpg
    12_16 Canadian One Penny Front.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 337
  • 12_16 Canadian One Penny Rear.jpg
    12_16 Canadian One Penny Rear.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 258
  • token-upper-canada-bank-penny-1854-g.jpg
    token-upper-canada-bank-penny-1854-g.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 264
Well we aint never seen nothing like THIS before! Great find Buell and thanks for the write up about it! Did they mention how many were minted that year?

Awesome find, congrats! Glad you could make out some details to ID it.

Thank you, it took about 4 photos to finally get the light right and shadows correct to see the date. Though in person it is pretty easy to see

Nice old token, and fantastic job coming up with the ID! Great recovery!

Yeah my son was back from college for the holidays and helped me ID almost immediately with his cell phone and Bigsby... :laughing: No seriously that is how he confirmed what we were looking at

That is a fantastic recovery Paul. Never seen one of those posted before. Congrats! Trapper

First for me as well! I didn't even know that this piece of history existed... But then again, THAT is why we love this hobby so much

Don't think so, I don't want to continue to attempt to clean it further.

Hello I seen that bank token you found, I found one from 1844 it's posted in the eye popper section have a look. Mine was in pretty rough shape till I soaked it in coca cola, now it looks almost mint. That coin you found is awesome!! HH

Last edited:
Hello I seen that bank token you found, I found one from 1844 it's posted in the eye popper section have a look. Mine was in pretty rough shape till I soaked it in coca cola, now it looks almost mint. That coin you found is awesome!! HH

Thank you for the recommendation. How long did you soak it?

Thank you for the recommendation. How long did you soak it?[/QUOTEH
Hello did you see the one I found? it's in the eye popping section under was a eye popper for me, what I did was got 1 litre coke and poured some in a glass let I soak for a couple hours then dump pop and repeated through out the day and bye the next day it was good as new. HH

Attachments

• IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom