1st Gold! 1st outting with NOX! NOX vs PI and CTX at Ocean beach

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
First long hunt with the NOX and it pulled out this half broken ring from the middle of an iron laiden patch. WoW.! I would be really stoked but it wasn't me, it was my bud Sean at the wheel. Lol. Good for him, it's good motivation as he is just getting in the hobby.

On the beach, the NOX seemed more like the Excal. You can tell targets by tones, but the VDi is a bit jumpy. Definitely NOT like the CTX's stability, but it works nonetheless. There are whisper signals like the Excal, but again not like the CTX.

COIN SPILL ... We hit several coin spills and I was impressed how quickly you could pass the coil over multiple targets and hear distinct, different tones. In one case, we had a quarter, two nickles, and a penny all within 18" of each other. As the coil flew over, I thought it was another jumpy signal but digging revealed it was in fact four distinct signals for each target. That was something I felt was better/faster than the CTX.

DEPTH..., the.NOX seems to hit all the same depth as the CTX's 11" coil...but it is definitely not as deep as the 17". Iffy signals on the NOX could still be heard loud and clear with the Surf PI and CTX. For example the broken ring was strong in one direction with the NOX but not in other directions. Meanwhile the PI had no issues, it binged loud and clear.... Making it really hard to dislike PI tech.

WATER... Ran the nox through runnels. It was erradict for a second and then seemed to auto adjust and balance fine. Again, it's not as smooth and balanced as an Excal, CTX, or PI, but I think if you have some time behind the wheel, you'll understand what it's telling you and be OK.

WEIGHT... After a little over 5-hours, we didn't have the slightest fatigue. Clearly the NOX takes the win over the CTX on that, but it is also nearly identical to the weight of the Surf PI.

BEST performer... If it wasn't for having to dig 5,000 more junk targets with the PI, the PI would still be my favorite. Alas being able to discriminate makes life so much better and a better use of time. I'd have to say if I was a dedicated water hunter, I'd stick with the Excal. It is just more stable and you only use tones so the VDi is irrelevant. For those just on the beach, well the CTX has a more accurate VDi and has the 17" coil that covers more ground quickly AND with better depth. BUT for the price point, the NOX is a good all purpose machine that is leaps above single frequency detectors.

Anyhow we kept the NOX in beach mode (MF) and auto tracking for 99% of the time. Right before we left, we switched to SF...which actually worked in the dry and some moist sand.

H/H, -David
4b3dfa8677dfb53f943bd5e44588d28d.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice hunt man! Thanks for the detailed write up! Good Info!
I Agree.. That really was a good write up.. very unbiased.

Reading all the posts on here I have found when it comes to the Nox there are 3 types of Opinions.

1) I drank the Kool-Aid.

2) I am seriously thinking about drinking that Kool-Aid.

3) I MADE that Kool-Aid.

Attachments

• Koolaid.jpg
    Koolaid.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 530
Good

Review Dave, in the water the Excalibur, for wright now till the 15 coil get's here, and waterproof phones , until than the Ctx3030, and the 17 coil, but i still like the lightness of the Equinox for long hunt's and separation, even if the EQ 15 gets a half, or inch less than the CTX 3030 -with the 17, i might pick up the EQ and roll, as far as the Surf Pi Df , i will pick up that when the beaches are clean with no iron, definitely one of my favorite machines when the condition's are wright, Earl

Nice review, I appreciate the detail and sounds like you did some good comparison testing :yes:

Really would like to see a new "true" water machine come out. Seems like no new news on the Fisher PI. I know, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but we all like a new toy as well ;)

Good review. How many hours do you have on the 800? Maybe after some refinement, tweaking of settings, etc it may shine even more. I'm impatiently waiting for mine to get at my door. UPS tracking has it for the 27th which is 2 days away.. YAY.....

Now if I can get rid of this 3 wk bronchitis that won't go away.

Last edited:
Great and very detailed post. I would expect the PI to out perform it, but what would the PI do in the dirt? On the coils, when the Nox has a beach cleaner giant coil, we can do a head to head on depth.

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to do the testing head to head.
I will stick with my excal, until it breaks so badly i can not fix it myself, then i will buy an equinox.

Good review. How many hours do you have on the 800? Maybe after some refinement, tweaking of settings, etc it ay shine even more. I'm impatiently waiting for mine to get at my door. UPS tracking has it for the 27th which is 2 days away.. YAY.....

Man, be careful with that bronchitis. Get yourself well before going out and hitting it hard with that new machine. GL & HH

I hunt the Treasure coast beaches in Florida

Probably the cleanest beaches around for all the serious machines that are used on it. Since we are not allowed in the water due to the salvage leases we work the edge real hard.

Most of the time I use a White's TDI or a Detector Pro pulse. Depth is everything. When we have a storm and beach erosion and targets become numerous depth is not so important and out come the excals, with all large coils. It can become like a competition hunt when a 1000 detectorists show up.

I don't think I need a Equinox. I need fresh legs. I have great scoops.

I just need good legs.

Reading all the posts on here I have found when it comes to the Nox there are 3 types of Opinions.

1) I drank the Kool-Aid.

3) I MADE that Kool-Aid.

This made me LOL!!!! I love this post! Time to find some Kool-Aid 🤣🤣🤣

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) I drank the Kool-Aid.

3) I MADE that Kool-Aid.

ROFLMAO... You just earned street cred' ha ha ha ha

Were you running auto track in the water and bump it down to 16 sensitivity, all metal? I was shocked I could run prospecting mode in the dry sand. I may vacuum form some sort of coil cover for the top and see if I can reduce drag in the water. Those v braces funnel the swing current down to a restriction you can feel you wouldn't have if they were all straight.

Also did your lower camlock let loose yet?

Good review. How many hours do you have on the 800? Maybe after some refinement, tweaking of settings, etc it ay shine even more. I'm impatiently waiting for mine to get at my door. UPS tracking has it for the 27th which is 2 days away.. YAY.....

Hope u feel better soon....

This was the 600, I'm still waiting for my 800 to arrive. Left the settings similar to auto without much tweaking....same as all the machiens that way it would be an even playing field.

Back
Top Bottom