1st Gold ring with CZ3D today

Roger B

Forum Supporter
I used my CZ3D on the beach today for the first time. I bought big stainless steel sand scoop from Tony, got it yesterday and today the wife and I hit the beach. Just as I was leaving, I gave an area one more sweep and there it was, a man's gold wedding band.
I know Epi uses a CZ3D and she may already know this but, the ring was showing up as nickel and iron.
So I am digging everything that doesn't signal just iron on the beach.
I did have a problem with the sand scoop and that was, I had to have my wife carry it for me and stay about 15 feet away from me because it interfered with the detector. To carry it I would have to lower the sensitivity to about 1.
Any advice would be appreciated on how folks deal with that.

Attachments

• Wed band.JPG
    Wed band.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 392
GaBeachsweeper said:
Way Ta Go Roger!! Heck of a note that scoop being a problem. Might need to make a plan B if the wife can't come. :?: :?: :?:
Jim
Thanks Jim
Do you have any interference when carrying your sand scoop? I did have my sensitivity set at 6, but I had to lower it to 1 or 2 to not have the detector pick up the scoop, but I hate to lose the depth.

Roger B said:
I used my CZ3D on the beach today for the first time. I bought big stainless steel sand scoop from Tony, got it yesterday and today the wife and I hit the beach. Just as I was leaving, I gave an area one more sweep and there it was, a man's gold wedding band.
I know Epi uses a CZ3D and she may already know this but, the ring was showing up as nickel and iron.
So I am digging everything that doesn't signal just iron on the beach.
I did have a problem with the sand scoop and that was, I had to have my wife carry it for me and stay about 15 feet away from me because it interfered with the detector. To carry it I would have to lower the sensitivity to about 1.
Any advice would be appreciated on how folks deal with that.

I don't know why your scoop would interfere with the detector... If anything I would think I would have more of a problem with a PI.

Interference from the scoop? That sounds odd, but nothing surprises me in this hobby. I don't use a CZ, but the only time i hear from my scoop is when I push it under my coil. It is generaly about 3 ft from the coil while I am searching........ :?:...Gil

Very nice Gold, sure makes for a great hunt. I found with the CZ3D that if you get a foil signal and you do the Minelab whip over the target and it breaks up it's foil, if it stays solid its likely a small Gold ring. As you found out bouncing readings up to and back to nickel often means a Gold ring, I always dug those signals no matter where I was hunting, ya just never know and I'd hate to leave the Gold behind. Nice pic too....H.H.:-)

Waterman said:
Very nice Gold, sure makes for a great hunt. I found with the CZ3D that if you get a foil signal and you do the Minelab whip over the target and it breaks up it's foil, if it stays solid its likely a small Gold ring. As you found out bouncing readings up to and back to nickel often means a Gold ring, I always dug those signals no matter where I was hunting, ya just never know and I'd hate to leave the Gold behind. Nice pic too....H.H.:-)
What's the Minelab whip?

The Minelab Wiggle/whip, is to move the coil over a target then move the coil back and forth over the target to see if the target breaks up or stays solid. It works well on deep targets with the minelabs to bring the target ID up on the meter to it's highest reading. Hope this helps. H.H.:-)

Roger B said:
Waterman said:
What's the Minelab whip?

Epi. There was a Fisher chart showing where rings show up on the CZ's. I'll see if I can find where its posted. Gold rings showed up just about anywhere but its the same with other machines.
Re the scoop problem I can have one on my shoulder and no problem. With a spade I drag it but with a plastic shaft the metal head is a good few feet behind so doesn't interfere.
Not to much problem with lowering the sensitivity as its non linear ie 3 is not half the sensitivity of 6.
6 would be bringing in the deep target audio boost on the older CZ's, I assume its the same on your model. That might add to the problem. Or has the knob been pulled off and replaced wrongly. Check its travel compared to the scale of numbers.
Or you could have a super hot machine. In which case I'd cut the metal shaft off the scoop and replace with wood.

Interesting comment about the scoop. My first lesson learned with my BH505 was to leave the steel toed boots at home. I thought "there is no way I am hitting this many targets". Then I realized they were in time with my steps! LOL

Back
Top Bottom