1st gold with my Dual Field

Right Brain

Elite Member
IMG_0613.jpg

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the hallmarks. 375 is 9ct.

I started off with trying out snorkel detecting, would have worked but my weight belt wasn't heavy enough and I couldn't get down to the bottom at all!.

Went back to get my scoop, just before I entered the beach, a man I walked past asked me cynically asked; "mate, do you ever find anything with that?". One of those :roll: moments, gave him a typical reply; "bit of this, bit of that...". Went straight into the water, first signal was the gold. Didn't find anything else interesting except a few coins, even though I stayed for 4 hours.

Nice find. Well done.

Let us know how the snorkelling detecting goes. I want to try it here in Japan the next northern summer. There are some sea wall piers that are just outside of wading range that I often see people swimming around and jumping off. What do you think, better to use the DF (on order) or Excal?

Congrats on the gold! The first is always the best. I have not tried the snorkel thing although I have one, but I am interested in the hookah machines. There is a spring on the FL gulf with a public sand beach. Nobody detects and it has been there for years. The hooka gives air through a breathing line so you can stay down like a diver with tanks. There is another beach in a cove that locals have boated to for many years to gather and party. Lots of pull tabs I am sure but there has to be gold there. Drunk boaters swimming? Oh yea, there is gold there. :D

Thanks guys!

It's my first gold with the Dual Field, I have found gold rings with three other detector before!

On snorkelling, the waters at my beaches are icy cold - in the summer! I didn't wear any head wetsuit (I don't know what they're actually called), but I would recommend something to keep your head warm. Make sure you are weighted correctly as I found out... 7 kg wasn't enough for me, it will be trial and error to know how much I need unless someone gives me some advice on that:?::cool:. It was impossible for me to get anywhere near the target. Having a floating coil didn't help, it gets in the way (even though I weighted it down using marbles, best I could do). Otherwise it would have been fun.

One thing I struggle with when fanning is seeing/trying to find the non-shiny targets. Not sure how I'm going to dig deep targets either.

gin&kin:
Let us know how the snorkelling detecting goes. I want to try it here in Japan the next northern summer. What do you think, better to use the DF (on order) or Excal?

Definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, take the Excal. On the DF, the floating coil will be brutal, going for deep targets I assume would be hard as well, especially as you first start doing this. Iron junk is hard to spot, it would be good to skip past those as well. Though there shouldn't be too much iron in deeper waters, as with my beaches.

Try the DF when you get better at snorkel detecting. Actually, if you haven't snorkelled before, try that first without the detector. Try fanning as well.

Also, for non-motion detectors, there's a technique that I read about in helping to retrieve targets when using the fanning technique (though I've never tried it because I mostly used motion detectors); you leave the detector over the target as you fan. Whey you hear that the target has moved, you know you're ready to retrieve it. I tried this with motion detectors, and it's hard to tell when the target moved.

Oldbeechnut has clips on youtube of himself snorkel detecting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LaLKI0PWgg
Maybe he can chime in.

Any other experts out there who can chime in on this technique?

Snorkel hunting is all I know. I couldn't affort a long handle scoop when I started detecting, so I hit the water with my 18" scoop and my mask. It seems to work for me so haven't changed my method. The first thing I do when I get a hit is to fan the target with my feet and blow a hole where the target is. This allows me to get the target on the first scoop about half the time. When I know the target is small, like a post earring, fanning is the key. I will drag the target away into the smallest pile possible, then start fanning. If the water is fairly calm, I will mark the hit with a shell, and even let go of my detector so I can stay on the bottom longer. Sometimes, I push one hand down into the sand to hold me on the bottom. If the target is deep, I will scoop out multiple buckets and try to pull the target out of the hole, the re-scan with detector. I have retrieved targets 18-24" deep out in the water. This method also allows me to hunt in head high water(and deeper), where detectorists with long handle scoops can't go.

I wish I could swim like a fish and stay under the water as long, but God did not give me the abilities....I'm better off in the wet sand and ankle to waist high water.

Congratulations on a 9 kt gold ring. I don't think I've ever found a 9 kt before.

Raphis

Nice looking gold RB, man you guys are killing me...I gotta retire like Earl.......
I have seen some people use a ping pong paddle to fan with...they keep it teathered to there wrist..
The video is of a friend in Florida, Chuck in miami, here is some more video ....same hunt, just some different footage, I think Chuck speaks of the weight belt...in this one.....

Scoundrel, that's awesome. How much weight do you use?

The funny thing is, it has cost me as much for scuba equipment as it did to buy a scoop. I had to buy everything from scratch.

I have seen some people use a ping pong paddle to fan with...they keep it teathered to there wrist..
I think Chuck speaks of the weight belt...in this one.....

30 pounds he said. That's 13.6077 kg. I used 7 kg.

I tried a ping pong paddle before, I think a downward motion has more effect.

Thanks for the vids, will you film more?:yes::D

I have a couple friends that use 25 pounds just for hunting in the deep in the bay. They have trouble kicking there scoop without. Hopefully, I can retire in a couple years and get more video's out. My first stop will be the DF master........

Thanks scoundrel and obn for the information.:yes: I found a weight for a 2 kg weight belt the other day on the beach so have a head start.:lol: Looking forward to trying these techniques next year.:yes:

Nice ring! Congrats! I have been intrigued by snorkle hunting for a while now. I know it's successful in Florida and Hawaii but has anyone here tried it in California? HH!

Nice ring! Congrats! I have been intrigued by snorkle hunting for a while now. I know it's successful in Florida and Hawaii but has anyone here tried it in California? HH!

I have at times, depending on conditions. Important thing is when you breach, (Blow out water before you take a breath) with waves can make it interesting at times. :lol: Find a smooth area or even a lake when you are starting. Everything is different to start. An internal volume adjustment makes it harder the first couple times out. It is worth it though. Yous finds per hour will drop, but the trade off is sometimes great...

Oh yea, on the weight belt. Quick, easy way to find out if you are weighted properly. Get out into mid to high chest water, leave your detector on shore. Kick your legs out and sit on the bottom. Are you sinking fast, slow, not at all. You are looking for "neutral" once your "posterior end" is on the bottom. Check out free-diving, will have tons of info. Hope this helps...
SSC

Back
Top Bottom