• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Thoughts on nosediving silver and gold prices

I was at our annual Numismatic club picnic tonight...me and our Forum Brother Sturrat....and yes..its a topic of much debate...

Some say silver at $12 and gold at $900...some say one little thing happens, and gold to 5k and silver beyond $50..

Nobody there was willing to sell their silver at $14, or their Gold at $1000 though... :laughing:

I sure dont have a clue, clad and empty can prices are holding steady! :laughing:

Cost averaging like stocks?
I like how the commodity market predictions go both ways....sometimes to the extreme.
It will be interesting to see how the 2020 election results impact stocks and pm. Even fear prior to the election could make it a wild ride. I bet a lot of folks take defensive positions prior to the election. The sidelines me be the place for the faint of heart.

I think the days of gold and silver going the opposite direction of the stock market are coming to an end. Over half the silver demand and about a quarter of the gold is for industrial purposes and it keeps going up. There has to be a point where increased industrial demand is going to set the price more than jewelry and speculators. If silver drops below 10 I might consider buying as an investment, but until then I'm going to be happy finding silver rings. Both silver and gold are artificially high right now[IMO] and we are due for a correction, again, my opinion and if I knew what I was talking about I wouldn't be going out today looking for a job. I don't think we have seen the low yet, my guess is at least another 10 percent down maybe 20 for silver, even more for gold, a bunch more. Silver is down to the same price it was 10 years ago. I could see gold doing the same.

A whole new generation of holders...I dont know if any of them are gonna sell at anything below $15 ag or $1100 au...Unless they absolutely have to...Even then...it would be a tough deal to procure it at the 'spot' price...

So the Spot may say $14...but can you find it at that?...When the Spot says something, and you cannot find it at that price, then theres the market bottom I figure....What do I know though? :laughing:

My thoughts are that I'm glad they're crashing, as my stock portfolio is shooting through the roof.

The last big crash all major stock indexes were up over 1,000%. I love logging into my Thrift Savings Plan each month to see I gained $6k.

It sucks in that I dig a lot of gold rings, so I'll be sitting on them for a while.

My thoughts are that I'm glad they're crashing, as my stock portfolio is shooting through the roof.

The last big crash all major stock indexes were up over 1,000%. I love logging into my Thrift Savings Plan each month to see I gained $6k.

It sucks in that I dig a lot of gold rings, so I'll be sitting on them for a while.

Nothing to add about silver/gold prices but I do agree the TSP has been doing fantastic!

I wish to have your level of suck.

BCD

Hahaha, it is a good suck to have, I'm just not allowed by my headmaster wife to spend from the paycheck for a while, so I finance my metal detecting GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) with ring sales.

I can only find them with my F75, somehow my brain has a high rate of success picking out the gold from the tabs. With my Equinox it's a lost cause. I've dug 1,000 pulltabs and not one ring. Pick up my F75 after getting frustrated and bang out two rings that outing and one the next.

I really think the pricing for gold and silver is driven more by speculation than demand. At some point the demand will dictate the price but I don't think we are going to be there yet for a few more years.

People are leaving the gold and silver and moving to stocks to get in on the stock market increases. Now a lot of these people did not really have gold and silver they just had shares of funds that owned gold and silver. These funds are being forced to sell their gold and silver to keep from loosing money, so more gold and silver are physically available and there is not as big a demand for them.

Just my opinion of watching this market for the past 30 some years.

Ray

I mainly sell gold shortly after I find it, sometimes higher than last time sometimes lower than last time, I get an average price. This way I am neither the fool who held out while prices dropped or the genius who waited for the price to rise, just average...

I really think the pricing for gold and silver is driven more by speculation than demand. At some point the demand will dictate the price but I don't think we are going to be there yet for a few more years.

People are leaving the gold and silver and moving to stocks to get in on the stock market increases. Now a lot of these people did not really have gold and silver they just had shares of funds that owned gold and silver. These funds are being forced to sell their gold and silver to keep from loosing money, so more gold and silver are physically available and there is not as big a demand for them.

Just my opinion of watching this market for the past 30 some years.

Ray
From what I have read, paper gold and silver shares are hedged at least 100:1, paper vs physical.

A whole new generation of holders...I dont know if any of them are gonna sell at anything below $15 ag or $1100 au...Unless they absolutely have to...Even then...it would be a tough deal to procure it at the 'spot' price...

So the Spot may say $14...but can you find it at that?...When the Spot says something, and you cannot find it at that price, then theres the market bottom I figure....What do I know though? :laughing:
Thats what happened back around 2015...premiums went up to make up the difference, and the physical dried up!

I hope the price paid for scrap aluminum is going up at least long enough for us to cash in all our saved up aluminum cans at a good amount :lol:

When the price drops, it's the time to BUY. I use the price averaging method so I'm usually in a good situation no matter the price. I'll continue to buy and only sell IF/WHEN the price goes up to the point I can make a profit.

Been cleaning out the coin shops of 90% recently. Of course, I'm usually buying anyway, but normally more bouillon.

We see $12 or below on silver and it's going to be more tubes so on an inevitable upswing, I'll sell a little off to cover what I've been picking up if needed, just like I was taught to do by my Grandpa in the 90s. Don't really mess with a lot of gold since the ratio to silver is WAY over-inflated :D

HH and keep stacking!

I just picked up 10 ounces of 2018 Silver Eagles. Figured it was cheap enough that I couldn't go wrong holding onto it for 10 years. I like to buy about $300 or so every year and just toss it in the safe dep. Seemd like a good time to buy.

Nothing seems to be purchasable "at" spot right now, but it's about $4 cheaper per coin than it was earlier this year!

Skippy

Back
Top Bottom