CTX3030 Detecting in PinPoint Mode. (Disregard the thumbs down..iPad error)

Jressman

Elite Member
Read a thread where someone mentoned they'd like to see how the CTX3030 did detecting in PP (All-Metal) mode. Well today I did it for 30 minutes at the end of my hunt as the tide closed back in. Sorry! I had just thought of it at the last minute. Well heres my honest results.

I was suprized to find things quite a bit deeper than in normal discriminate mode. I did dig Iron.. Actually quite a bit of it. This was hunting the slope toward the water, as the tide set back in...Again it was a last minute idea to detect this way.

Anway heres my settings:

Massachusettes Beach. Medium to High Trash content.
Open Screen, Combined mode. 3 Tone. Zero Discrimination.
Iron FE Breakpoint set a 29FE (aggressive.. Good for deep small gold) Minelab Etracs TTF defaults to 17FE.
Auto+3 Sensitivity running at 21 out of a possible 30.
SaltWater MODE ON
Ground/Coin Seperation
Manual GB OFF/Machine was in Auto Tracking
PinPoint set to sizing.. DON'T USE PINPOINT LOCK as it will ONLY lock onto the strongest signal, and completely ignore everything else.

My Auto +3 Sensitivity was running at 21 (Manual at a MAX of 30 has no different effect. I discovered in PP Mode the CTX3030 runs at a separate sensitivity level than the user/or machine designates in discriminate mode.

The trick is to press the PP trigger with the coil ON CLEAN the ground, then Slowly scrub the coil on the ground. Listen for any waver. When you do get some sort of weak signal, or strong depending on target depth, Watch/Listen the two red spheres attempt to lock onto a signal. The loudest audio response is the approximate target location. Now Dig a Deep Ass hole where they come the closest to a LOCK.

My Opinion:

I'm mixed.. I will say for SURE 100% its deeper than normal discriminate mode, but the FBS machines (CTX3030/Etrac/Explorer) are NOT true threshold based ALL-Metal machines like the BBS Soverigns are. They lack the crisp razor sharp tone nuances the BBS machines provide. Though I have never owned a BBS machine, the videos I have seen of them in PP mode leads me to believe they give the end user a LOT more information than the FBS units do when in PinPoint Mode. I find the FBS/FBS2 machines are much faster in recovery when in discriminate mode, whereas the BBS machines are MUCH Faster when in PP mode..

I mainly use a Teknetics T2SE and LOVE the ALL-Metal mode on that unit. Its lightning fast razor sharp. The CTX3030 simply lets you know through audio the strength or lack thereof the signal and the approximate location of the strongest signal. It works, No Doubt. I will report on how it does IN THE WATER this way.

That being said heres my suprising find from my beach.

A well worn 1942P War Nickle. A very Suprising and DEEP Find on the slopes of the wet sand for my area. Worn wafer thin and provided no numbers on my VDI. This was VERY Deep.

7aa6c716d2c2650b029a86e24538ef57_zps344e67ff.jpg

Thanks for accepting me any my CTX3030 :p

Now were talking.....Thanks.....I had wonder and itsring had questioned it also I think...
Thank You...

Thanks for the very informative and objective field test! This has answered a few questions I had. I'll give it a try next time I'm out.

Now were talking.....Thanks.....I had wonder and itsring had questioned it also I think...
Thank You...

No problem! It just dawned on me to give it a shot at the end of the hunt. I need chest waders and good waterproof gloves before I give it a full shot of ALL-Metal PP mode at my hunted out honey hole in the water spot!

Bummer about pinpoint lock. Holding that button in is a PITA:no: I'll have to try your settings.

quick question how do you do three tones?
fast and deep on or off?
nice write up thanks

I have owned the CTX3030 since it came out in May 2012. I used 3 conductive tones and 1 iron tone since Day 1. I personally think 4 conductive tones and 1 iron is too busy on my ears. I've owned a Garrett AT Pro and fell in love with the tone simplicity and range of its tones. Therefore I tried my best to replicate the Garrett Tone ID with my CTX3030.

Iron grunt, low tone from 01-29CO (Gold,canslaw,buttons)

Mid Tone 30-40CO (Indians,zincs,small silver range)

High Tone 41-49CO (Penny/Dime/Quarter+ Silver range)

Fast OFF Deep OFF

Iron grunt, low tone from 01-29CO (Gold,canslaw,buttons)

Mid Tone 30-40CO (Indians,zincs,small silver)

High Tone 41-49CO (Penny/Dime/Quarter+ Silver)

Fast OFF Deep OFF

I like that, I have a SE Pro and would hunt open screen All metal Ferrious tones, which was several, I like the simplification of 4 and the break down.
Thanks Jressman

The SE has been sitting for over 7 years....since I hit the water.

Im confused
could you show a pic of you tone ID profile

I use an iPad. My wife has a laptop where I can USB Hookup.

If you want to give my my settings a try PM me your email address and I will send you my .mlx file along with phone number to explain any questions you may have. I think 3 conductive tones is perfectly adequate.

I use an iPad. My wife has a laptop where I can USB Hookup.

If you want to give my my settings a try PM me your email address and I will send you my .mlx file along with phone number to explain any questions you may have. I think 3 conductive tones is perfectly adequate.

ok I understand now I was looking at the combined screen it has five bins on the tone ID screen
thanks

I think the CTX3030 in combined mode defaults to 22FE?

If you go aggressive and set it to 27-30 you will dig a little deep deep iron, but your deep gold which will normally register as iron, will register a low diggable low tone.

Good post on the 3030 and hunting in Pinpoint. To bad about the PP lock though, as Itsaring said, holding that button is a pain.
I've tried to set up the Exchange like you mentioned in your post but can't seem to come up with the 3 tone Ferrous you speak of in your post. What am I missing? Best I can do is Combined with 5 tones having the iron grunt set at FE 29, low tone on the 01 CO line then I can follow your other three settings...What am I doing wrong?

Good post on the 3030 and hunting in Pinpoint. To bad about the PP lock though, as Itsaring said, holding that button is a pain.

Minelab released a firmware update allowing you to lock the machine in PP mode by pulling the once . No need to hold it down anymore. Pull the trigger again and its back in discriminate mode.

What I meant by PP lock mode is "Normal mode on the CTX and Etrac" thats where the machine locks onto the center of the target and ignores everything else. Its the most accurate form of PP on the machine. Great for yards and parks, but not so much at the beach.

The "PP Sizing" mode is the one you want to be in for detecting the beach in PP mode. This way it wont just see the strongest targets, but everything.

I've tried to set up the Exchange like you mentioned in your post but can't seem to come up with the 3 tone Ferrous you speak of in your post. What am I missing? Best I can do is Combined with 5 tones having the iron grunt set at FE 29, low tone on the 01 CO line then I can follow your other three settings...What am I doing wrong?

Heres how to create my exact beach setup:

Go into Combined Mode. Set both discrimination patterns to completely open screens. Nothing being discriminated.

Then go into your Tone options. Set it to Combined. Here you will have 1 Ferrous tone bin, and 4 Conductive tone bins. I simply set 2 of the Conductive tone bins to give the same exact tone at 234Hz for ALL my low conductors.

Heres the exact Run-Down

Iron Setting:
Set the Iron Breakpoint to 29FE and the tone pitch to 75Hz This produces the Iron Grunt tone.

Low Tone: (Gold Range Pull-Tab, Nickles )
Set the 01-15CO (any number in the less than 28CO works) Set pitch to 234Hz
Set 15-29CO to the same 234Hz (this gives you the SAME tone from 01-29CO)

Mid Tone: (Zinc, Indian Heads, Big Gold, Small Silver)
Set the 3rd Conductive tone bin from 30CO to 41CO. Set the tone pitch to 736Hz

High Tone: (Silver Range, Copper, Clad, Silver Coins/Rings)
Set the 4th and final tone bin from 42CO-50CO and MAX the tone pitch to 1200Hz.

When your done your screen should look like this:

8a1adc2ed8946b1e988e3e1d277611b8_zpsaa5f00c7.jpg

*Set the tone pitch to YOUR preferences. I set them this way because it works for me. Its as close to the Garrett AT Pro tones as I could get, and this was my goal. Set them to whatever works best for you.

Hope this helps.

Duh...set two bins with the same tone.....makes sense now.
Other than a difference in the iron breakpoint setting and tone settings, our screens are almost identical.
Thanks
Cliff

Back
Top Bottom