OK car buffs. Needs some input

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
So this years drags start the 22nd of this month. I just ordered a set of long tube headers and exhaust cutouts for my 2015 Mustang GT 5.0. I dyno'd at 377.8 power and 366 TQ to the rear wheels pure stock. What kind of HP to the rear wheels do you think I'm looking at with MODs?

I'm also thinking about a tuner to take full advantage of my MODs or should I go CAI with tuner?

I've got a few new Camaros & Challengers gunning for me. I've already beat the 2015 Camaro with headers and one of the 2011 Challengers srt8 392 HEMI with no problem, but I want to make sure I'm ready because I'm sure they have probably done a few things to make sure they are ready. LOL

I call her Crazy Horse

2015-_GT-_BH-17.jpg

With as much power as you have already, I don't think you will notice much. Be interesting to find out. At 62 I'm still modding stuff, I just put chrome tips on my rocking chair. :laughing: :laughing: joe

Just keep her straight when she hits second gear, unlike most of the people driving stangs on YouTube.....

That thing is awesome!

<°)))>{

Just keep her straight when she hits second gear, unlike most of the people driving stangs on YouTube.....

LOL Yeah Mustangs have gotten a reputation for liking the crowds. Really the problem is the power. A lot of people are just not ready for it. I have to admit even I have done a 180 in the middle of the road just pulling off a side street and giving it a little gas. You want to make sure you're pointed straight before giving it the gas for sure. Luckily no one was around so I just acted like I meant to do that and went on.

You've changed airflow through the motor sufficiently to be pushing the limits of your ECU (especially with the headers open), so CAI would be an advantage.

The biggest issue with most big HP vehicles isn't power as much as traction is. All the power in the world doesn't do you any good if you can't get it to the ground. Going to wider tires will only garner just so much, beyond which they are more of a detriment. So what are you doing to improve that? Anything to effect weight transfer?

Last edited:
The biggest issue with most big HP vehicles isn't power as much as traction is. All the power in the world doesn't do you any good if you can't get it to the ground. Going to wider tires will only garner just so much, beyond which they are more of a detriment. So what are you doing to improve that? Anything to effect weight transfer?
First thing I did was for traction. The new Mustang GT's are well known to just spin. I know mine will spin through 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd with the factory tires. I went to Continental ExtremeTraction DWS06's on the rear and installed a tiedown kit. A tiedown kit is like traction bars for IRS(Independent Rear Suspension).

Trade in your mustang and get one of these: http://www.dodge.com/demon.html
You know I say kudos to Dodge for have the balls to build a pure race car, but the Demon is far from top dog. Like the Hellcat it's great that they build them straight from the factory, but a Hell cat is just a Challenger with a super charger. That's good and all but they want $70,000 just because they added a $9,000 super charger? I can buy the same a brand new 2017 Mustang GT from Lebanon Ford in Ohio with the same super charger installed by the dealer and it puts out 727 HP and smokes the $70,000 Hellcat and only costs $38,000.

The same dealer now has a $45,000 2017 Mustang with twin turbo, capable of 1200 HP, brand new from the dealer. They want close to $100,000 for the new Demon with under 1000 HP that is smoked by the Mustang. Dodge is just on a big sales run because Mustang has been top seller for 5 years now and was the top seller in Europe last year.

Camaro has the new 2017 exorcist with 1,000 HP that will run circles around the Demon. What you're not hearing is that these are limited edition race cars. Built just for racing. And another thing they're not saying is it takes another $7,000 just to make the Demon legal.

Even so again I say kudos to Dodge for starting the horse power wars of the late 60 and early 70's all over again. I'm lovin it.

Last edited:
Now we need a new 007 flick to star the cars in. Tricked out by Q. Ejector seats standard, of course. ;)

In regards to your question about CAI, watch this video, maybe it will help you decide.

Last edited:

x2 Any little trick that you can use to get that power to the ground. Just playing with the air pressure side to side on a 40 Willys running C/A got us over a 1/2 second. I just can't believe that you guys are making the same or better horsepower in fun and comfortable to drive cars that we had to wring out of the old motors and stuff into some not quite so aerodynamic sheet metal covered cages. Have fun with that baby. Hope you keep us updated on how you do.

No help here, but I'd love to see you film the races you have with the enemy,,:laughing:. I'm one of those die hard ford lovers. been looking for a project car, just can't find anything . I've got an old 302, just can't find the body. Good luck.

Almost everything I read about tuning chips says they are more myth or hype than fact or that the improvement is minimal. Other resources say it depends on which car you put it into.

I agree with the others saying traction is more important on a car that can already smoke the tires right off if you aren't careful.

Almost everything I read about tuning chips says they are more myth or hype than fact or that the improvement is minimal. Other resources say it depends on which car you put it into.

I agree with the others saying traction is more important on a car that can already smoke the tires right off if you aren't careful.

here's my 2016 Ecoboost Mustang

OP your tires are a joke on a dragstrip...plan on spinning to the moon until you get some real drag radials

headers without additional air intake & a tune are pointless - air IN, air OUT

without a tune you'll gain sound but virtually no power

I was pretty heavily into drag racing for a long time and it was one of the most fun, most expensive hobbies I've ever had. When you throw on a set of slicks, roll up into a thick layer of VHT and stomp that pedal, you'll find the weak link in your drivetrain VERY quickly. Busted trannies, shredded driveshafts, trashed rear ends.. Worth every penny though.

Basically speed = $$$, and lots of it! How fast do ya want to go? :D

Good looking Mustang btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015+ Mustangs with the new IRS break rear half shafts pretty regularly

even my high 12s car, I need to be careful

Back
Top Bottom