• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

CTX3030 or Equinox 800

ScottM

CTX3030 or Equinox 800?

I have the money for the more expensive detector and was leaning towards the CTX 3030 before the Equinox came into the picture.

Then seeing all the talk on the Equinox 800.

Looking for recommendations for when you would advise someone into one model or the other?

Currently have a Whites MXT I have been using for going on 8 years....mainly land hunting...parks/fields....Make it to the beach maybe once a year for a week...use my Whites BeachHunter there.

Please let me know your thoughts...I know I may be comparing a Lamborghini to a stock car. But wanted opinions.

Thanks.

CTX by far if you have the money for the type of hunting you said you do. If you have been using the MXT for the last 8 years you will be used to very accurate depth guage and ID. CTX is as good or better at both. Equinox Is not as good in either department.

If your a coin hunter the 3030.

Disclaimer, I have not used the 800, however Minelab itself claims it wasn't designed for high conductors and won't compare to the Etrac or CTX. The CTX ability to produce a accurate ID on a high conductor while mixed with iron amazes me. And in the Ferrous Coin settinng the lack of falseing just blows me away.

No question about it. CTX3030. IMHO, best coin hunting machine on the market. Again, just my opinion. Call me at Antiques Detectors, Ill make you a deal on the 3030. 620 856 5190,

I have the MXT Pro, The CTX 3030, and the Equinox 600. I love the 3030, it's a beast. Target ID is awesome. Depth is usually very accurate. The programming options are awesome too. I only use 2 programs with it, but mainly just 1 of them 90% of the time. However I have had issues with it... I'm not rough on my equipment, but I don't treat it like it's glass either. I have had to replace both shafts because of wear, I have had water infiltrate the battery compartment, (I take the seal out every time and blow out the whole area with my air compressor). I don't use the external speaker, but it has also quit working. The keypad has also stopped working and needed repair. Neat feature is GPS, but I don't use the GPS on it..

I don't have a lot of time on the Equinox 600, but it's a GREAT VALUE for the money. I seem to dig more trash with it than when I use the 3030, but I have 4 years on the 3030 compared to the equinox. I dug a beauty of a trime with the equinox at about 5 or 6 inches , so I know it'll find the good stuff!

I would say it depends on how serious you are into the hobby. I do know You can't go wrong with the 3030. It's an awesome machine, and I don't regret spending the extra money on it.

I had both. Get the 800. Save some money. The CTX is almost 7 years old and just feels heavy and clunky in my hands. It seems outdated. IMO.

I tested the stock CTX against my 800 and the 800 performed just as good or better concerning depth.

If money and weight not a factor then CTX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not get the 600 with aftermarket BT headphones for less money? (unless you want gold prospecting mode)

Get an Equinox 800 and a used Etrac.

I was thinking 9" Deus and Etrac. I keep coming back to this combo.

Equinox is kind of combo of both. Good at relics and ok at coins but has waterproof/beach factor for those that need it. Etrac is best on coins ans deus best on relics.

The 800 will see things the 600 won't.
Relics and coins and gold nuggets.

Etrac and Equinox stock and smaller doil for each.

Etrac and Deus w/9" LF or 9" HF and or elliptical HF doil.

Etrac and Impact (need small football coil)

Etrac and Mulit Kruzer ( need small football coil)

Any of the setups above will find things and offer a wide range of site detecting.

CTX not a good purchase for the $$$$$ IMO.
Equip your Etrac with a harness connection and use on longer hunts or maybe switch to your other lighter detector. Like Deus.

CTX user and Etrac user hunting side by side (both knowing their detectors, both should make good finds if they exist.
Coils for CTX too expensive for such a heavy detector. Limited on size.
Coils for Etrac can be found easily used for around 80-120 bucks.

The 600 unit would be alright if you wanted a water unit say to use with Etrac.

If Etrac performing or CTX performing detector shows up with Equinox weight or just a tad heavier. Hold on, they will sell like hot cakes as long as they are not super expensive.
I would expect such a detector to be priced simalry to current Etrac. And Etrac discontinued.
Who knows maybe even both Etrac and CTX being discontinued.

Time wise the Etrac based on history with Minelab is on its last leg.

Just don't see many problems with Etracs period.
CTX a difference story.

Wish Minelab would have sold Etrac with RnB battery.

CTX3030 or Equinox 800?

I have the money for the more expensive detector and was leaning towards the CTX 3030 before the Equinox came into the picture.

Then seeing all the talk on the Equinox 800.

Looking for recommendations for when you would advise someone into one model or the other?

Thanks.

To get the most out of both machines, I highly encourage you to get a specialty book from Clive Clynick or Gary Drayton. That will fast-track your learning curve and teach you the tricks to tweaking performance.

CTX3030 - is a proven work horse for any weather condition. The auto-trace mode will help you identify multiple targets under the foot print of the coil which is helpful in dense trash. GPS is there if you want to geo-log the coordinates of a relic or area you want to come back and visit at a later date. It also enables you to trend targets, e.g., low spots, popular locations, etc, etc. it comes with a spare AA-battery holder which is great for camping/hiking where you might not have the ability to recharge batteries. Pop on the 17" coil and you'll cover ground quicker and far deeper than an 11" coil.

NOX - lightweight and compact, makes it easy to pack in a backpack or suitcase. Response time is lightning quick but to make the most of it, again, I encourage you to buy a book. Target ID can be frustrating at times, especially when targets are corroded. I mostly (ocean) beach hunt and it that environment there are three sets of #'s that it ID's pennies. Again, due to corrosion. Inland sites it id's more accurately whereas the CTX seemed to almost always give an accurate target ID. What I do like is the true wireless capability to use low-latency BT phones. (A nice set comes with the 800). With no wires to snag, you can go through the brush and vegetation with less care.

Back to the CTX... If you plan to hunt more than 4-hours at a time, or aren't in good physical shape, I suggest using a lift assist device such as Pro-swing or swingy-thingy. That will absorb a majority of the weight and you should be able to swing darn near all day without fatigue.

You can't go wrong with either one. Just look at the advantages and disadvantages and decide which will work best for you. The EQX is lighter, cheaper, and just as deep but the coils aren't released yet, its tough to find waterproof headphones, battery can't be easily replaced, ID is not great, etc. The CTX is pricier and heavier but has multiple coils, headphones, can change the battery, better ID, etc. IMO the EQX is a better buy for the money considering how much more the CTX is.

If you just hunt deep coins I'd go CTX 3030. If you hunt a fair amount of gold I'd go 800.

I'd also consider DetectingMO's idea of an E-Trac and a Deus. Best combo.

Coin

Hunter CTX3030, Beach Equinox, just because it's lighter, won't know until the 15 inch coil comes out , if it will match the 17 coil at the beach on the CTX3030 when ever ML brings on the accessories , None available for the Equinox:roll:, everything available for the CTX3030 :yes::D

Back
Top Bottom