My first ever Florida beach day! 2/925

CarsonChris

Elite Member
Let me start by saying I absolutely love Florida! The beach was immaculate not trashed like the Tahoe beaches I’m used to. The white sand is amazing. Doesn’t burn the feet like the brown and black sand I’m used to. The water is like being in a bathtub and I could stay in it all day long!

That said, you Florida guys must metal detect the !!!! out of the beaches. Very few targets. I ended up pulling two Felix’s, a dime, a silver ring, and a tarnished silver necklace. I spoke with another guy swinging a Nox that had been there all morning and his only find was a quarter.

I was surprised how quiet my Nox was in the salt water. I thought it would be noisy but it’s in its environment in Florida. I’m so used to the chatter of northern Nevada mineralized soil.

B16209CB-8195-4540-9948-88FFD79A2FF8.jpeg

C3E00A0D-FBF4-4A42-8470-750336E89237.jpeg

34DB1B89-E24A-4317-9E26-B6ECA04B5894.jpeg

B6A6E45D-8274-415D-BFB7-BF75D67405E4.jpeg

congratz on the silver. Were they dry sand or wet sand finds ? If they were wet sand inter-tidal zone finds, then the reason for the almost sterile conditions is probably not due to FL hunters hunting the *** out of it. Instead I suspect that it's because the sand has been coming "in" (ie.: no erosion lately). And a lot of times, the coins do not come "in" with the sand. Only the sand itself comes in, leaving utterly sterile conditions on the wet (unless someone lost something in just the last few days)

You plundered a Florida beach and pulled a couple of silvers - that tells me that some local pirate is not doing his job! :lol:

Attachments

• flo.jpg
    flo.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 295
You plundered a Florida beach and pulled a couple of silvers - that tells me that some local pirate is not doing his job! :lol:

As a Floridian, you're going to assess the proper 30% charge on Chris's silver, right ? :?:

congratz on the silver. Were they dry sand or wet sand finds ? If they were wet sand inter-tidal zone finds, then the reason for the almost sterile conditions is probably not due to FL hunters hunting the *** out of it. Instead I suspect that it's because the sand has been coming "in" (ie.: no erosion lately). And a lot of times, the coins do not come "in" with the sand. Only the sand itself comes in, leaving utterly sterile conditions on the wet (unless someone lost something in just the last few days)

I was in 3-4 ft of water. I found one little area that had the ring and the necklace. It also had a fishing jig. It was at the very end of the beach. Thinking that the area may have been missed or ignored by people detecting. The ring was a fresh drop but the chain was buried and I had to two scoop it to get it out. That area also had a few chunks of melted metal. I tried the dry sand and it was also very clean except for rusted bottle caps and pull tabs. Nary a coin. I was detecting at low tide.

Tom...... you are right and wrong. We have had a lot of sand movement which is common this time of the year.......yes correlated sand. But this sand movement has been by a bit more wave movement than normal...... so coins have moved. Our renourishment program have pull a lot of sand into the water as well, depending on which beach ya try. In some cases......TONS of sand as the beach tries to redesign its self. We had some big waves from all those huge blows in the Gulf..... it pushed and pulled targets to the dry sand in piles. And yes..... we hunt the heck out of our beaches. I think a lot of hunters not used to hunting say the Gulf gets surprised on some very popular beach how few targets there are... some of it has to do with the almost concrete like sand we have.

I was watching something about Florida sinkholes how the limestone will suddenly collapse under you as you disappear forever:shock::shock::shock: That's worse than earthquakes, I will not move there for sure!:shock:

Oh well congrats Carson Chris on the Silva!

Congrats, you probably have found more than 99% of Floridians this week.

Want to really get hooked? Check out https://tbr2020.blogspot.com and the archives: http://treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Regards

Thanks. I’m sure there’s a learning curve on how to hunt the ocean beaches. I tried Clearwater beach but I think I was to far away from the large resorts. I found a carved out channel with a sandbar further out and tried working the channel but there wasn’t much there. A couple fresh drop zinc coins and a dime. Moved in on the white sand beaches and zig zagged between the beach goers and found about a $1 in clad. I was only there for a couple hours. I’m not looking forward to going home tomorrow since the weather changed from when I left.

Back
Top Bottom