To keep notes or not to keep notes? That's the question

SignalLost

I was thinking the other day and got to wondering about if the benefits would outweigh the cons pertaining to keeping a detecting journal (so to speak). Do other people do this? I thought it might help me figure out what types of targets are at what conductivity levels. I'm not sure if it's overkill or not... lets say I find a signal, 65-70, should I write down where I was, the signal strength, the depth of the target, and then write down the actual data? Or does this seem crazy to do for every find? I'm hoping that after a while I can start to get a grasp on what I am likely to find when encountering a signal "Y" or signal "X".

What do you all think?

I started detecting before there were the quick and easy logging tools around today. My keeping a log was more toward keeping track of local history and things I had found at those locations.

My first 20 years was all done by hand. I wrote records of my find and had to draw pictures of the items I had found. I had old books I would read and make notes of what I had found there for future reference. Mine and future generations.

Detecting-Records-1.jpg

Detecting-Records-2.jpg

Detecting-Records-3.jpg

I later got a scanner and was able to scan my finds. People talk about the good old days. Here is a scan taken 10-4-1992 showing the silver I came home with that day.

Detecting-Records-4.jpg

Later once the computer came along I wrote my own program called Finders Keeper. I kept my logs digitally with it.

Detecting-Records-5.jpg

Now I keep track by logging finds on the Internet. Call it my cloud.

Detecting-Records-6.jpg

I have a very in depth excel spreadsheet which I am converting soon to either a mysql or oracle database. Just need to get the wireless on the server working. Stupid linux wireless card doesn't support Centos7 it seems. Wireless libraries are not compatible. May have to scrap it for another flavor of Linux. That is a tale for another day however.

It is useful to keep such records because not all signals will be perfect. You may get a merc at 6 inches that sounds one way at one vdi, but sounds different with another vdi at 8.5 inches. It is also worth noting if there was other targets in the hole, such as nails, pull tabs, foil, etc.

This way on future targets, you can can say, hmmm, that isn't something I would normally did, but, I recall finding a merc around that VDI with an odd sounding signal before - and hey, it could be a merc!

I also make note of soil conditions, approximate orientation in the ground (so best I can), where I found it, etc. These can affect how you see a target in the ground. I keep other V3i targeting data as well.

I also have another collection of data to give me a base line - air tests of various coins/varieties and the responses I get from them while they are flat, at 45 degrees, 60 degrees, and on edge at ~6". This is so I know in what range I am looking for these coins.

I think for some people keeping logs is part of the fun of the hobby. I am not one of those types...

But I would say do what makes the hobby more enjoyable for you and if that means writing novels about your finds, go ahead and do it, it sure can't hurt anything, and will give you a great reference for future hunting. And a great reminder for you to look back on one day.

If it satisfies you, by all means do it.
Can a person learn a detector faster by doing?
It could cut the learning curve time some.

Also could be used for yourself to gauge yourself as to your progress.

I think you'll find if you do do.
And say you do it for 5 years.
And then go back and read all again, you'll be surprised at how your thoughts and decisions changed over time as far as dig me decisions, vs non dig me decisions.

And maybe just be able to relate all here to folks to help them, especially newbies to detecting.

Good luck should you decide to do.

Cheers.

I keep a small journal just highlighting who I was with, where I was at, what I found, the date of the coins objects etc. and maybe a couple extra details e.g. "the indian I dug at 8 inches was choppy.." you get the picture. I really like writing it down by hand because psychology states if you write it down you'll remember it so its good when your telling future stories.

I have a spreadsheet where I record what and how much I find every hunt. I have a column for the date of the hunt, then a column for each type of clad coin where I enter how many of each coin I found, then one column which adds up the number of clad coins I found, then one column for the face value of the clad coins, then a column for foreign or old coins, then a column for the location of the hunt and lastly a column for extra notes (for example, I describe the 'other' coins or list any jewellery I found)

Then at the bottom of the spreadsheet, each column adds up to a total (except for the date, location and other columns)

I've included pictures to simplify these words :) They may be hard to read though

Attachments

• headings.jpg
    headings.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 172
  • totals.jpg
    totals.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 171
All personal preference in my opinion. I do not do it at all, my reasoning is I sit in front of a computer for 40+ hours a week tracking this, that and everything else in between. Last thing I want to do is start mixing work & hobby. I won't even turn on a computer when I get home. Way I figure it, when my memory starts to go I'll have new places to hunt everytime I go out. May have to wonder why the ground is so clean but then again no place is ever hunted out right? Do whatever makes it most enjoyable. Detector has some killer logs he posted in this thread. Way more then I would be willing to do but to each thier own.

I've only been detecting for a little over a year and have tried a few different methods. My big fancy excel spreadsheet for each little find hasn't been updated in months, I just don't have the time I wish I did to keep track of all the details.

I do ALWAYS make myself take a pic of my "finds table" for each hunt as soon as possible, otherwise the metal just starts to pile up and I forget which hunt an item came from (see pic).

findstable.jpg

The next step after the must-do finds table photo is to write up a brief report of the site. This is a word doc that I made a template for, and I fill it out at some point over the week. I note the following: address, owners names, any stories/history of property, notable finds with descriptions and my research on it, description of land, house, where finds were concentrated, etc. If I have time or it was an interesting property I'll type in the research of historical residents or other interesting info. I always insert the website links to any research I came across, and insert photos of the finds table, individual cool finds, and a google maps view of the property. Right now all of this just collects digital dust, but I really enjoy the process and post-hunt research.

I'm really interested in the history and love recovering relics, so my methods may not apply to other MD'ing styles/motivations.

Dlax, I totally agree with enjoying that part of the hunt! I also relish in the research portion which is funny, because I have NEVER been interested in the history of ANYTHING. Metal detecting has totally changed my perspective on a lot of things! So glad my wife and I decided to buy one!

I suggest that you get a GoPro or other mountable video camera, and video record your hunts and save them on your computer. That way, you don't have to slow down to make notes while you are in the field. On a rainy day, or some other day when the weather is too inclement to get out, you can watch your videos and take notes at that time. Be sure to narrate on the video where you are hunting, time and date, type and condition of the soil, and the depth that you recovered your target, and VDI if you want. If you have GPS, record the GPS position of each target of significance recovered. I wouldn't bother noting info about pull tabs, bottle caps and other trash, but other relics I would. These records might someday be of historical importance, you just never know. GL & HH.

I keep track of the good stuff using Excel.

I also keep a log of my hunting sites. I keep a hard copy handy and use it like a menu.

I do not keep logs of anything but what I find on a specific day. Amount of clad and any precious metal jewelry or interesting artifacts

I spent 20 years of my life punching holes in the ocean and had to log every thing that we did. Nothing happening we still had to log an entry every hour.

I no longer have the desire to keep more than the bare minimum log entries.

Nothing wrong with you keeping extensive records but it is not for me.

Not a bad idea for the decent, unique finds just so you can log where they came from and what day. Or you can do like some of us and discover a coin twice, once in the ground and again 5 yrs later in your sock drawer :laughing::D

Back
Top Bottom