• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

help ID a spoon

headhunter

hey folks, i found this spoon a couple of days ago behind my house in what i believe to be a old homesite.i have found "wheaties" that date back to the teens and other old stuff. it is very thin around the edge of the "spoon"
part of it.it's got a redish tint to it (kinda about the same color as the Buffalo Nickles i've seen on here).it has U.S Silver Co. stamped on the back side of the handle.here are a couple of pic's before i clean it,does anyone have suggestions on how i should go about cleaning it in case it is silver.thanks for any help guys i appreciate it.Does anyone think it could be silver,if not what would it be made of? Thanks alot guy's and gals..HH..Bobby

Attachments

• MD'ing Pic's 009.jpg
    MD'ing Pic's 009.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 179
  • MD'ing Pic's 010.jpg
    MD'ing Pic's 010.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 184
hey thanks,i'm glad somebody figured that out,i was kinda thinking it might be a salad fork.but anyway all them silly jokes :p to the side,i reckon what i was wandering is if anybody might know how i could tell if it's silver or not.i don't want to mess it up when i clean it.

Either a soup or serving spoon. If it's silver, it might have the makers mark on it, or at least the silver content. Look on the back of the stem. I don't know if silver would tarnish to a reddish color, but then I've never been lucky enough to dig up any. Good luck on the ID! Curt

thanks man,thats kinda what i thought was it would not turn that reddish color if it was silver.i guess the stamp that says U.S Silver Co. don't actually mean it's made out of silver though.i was a hoping though..thanks..Bobby

It may have been silver plated. They typically plate copper. Silver may have worn down to the copper. That may explain the U.S. Silver Co. mark. Curt

Back
Top Bottom