Which Plugger Shaft for the Excal?

I'm not really sure , other than maybe the length..I bought the 3 piece from Rod off of eBay about 7-8 months ago...It was $150 delivered and included a finds pouch for a web belt...It was the best move I ever made..The machine is really well balanced now and I can hunt for many many hours if I want..I haven't tried to take it apart for any reason yet, so I'm not sure how easy or tough it could be..The handle grip is still in great shape..Couple of screws are pretty corroded though, but no big deal...
It's very sturdy and I imagine it will last the life of the machine..

The stock setup is so pitiful, that anything would be better..

A lot of guys also like the Anderson carbon fiber shaft..

both those straight shafts you have listed look identical ta me.

The travel rod is a 3 piece unit.
That is the unit I have built like a tank.

I'm not really sure , other than maybe the length..I bought the 3 piece from Rod off of eBay about 7-8 months ago...It ..Couple of screws are pretty corroded though, but no big deal...

You have to hose that bad boy down once in a while!! :laughing::laughing:

I use the anderson carbon fiber,,,it is excellent in the water,,,the mounting of the unit gives extra weight to swing and the balance is perfect,,,HOWEVER, it wears you down in the dry/wet sand,,,,the set up with the unit above your elbow is perfect for wet sand/dry sand,,,,,I am going to get that same set up for me,,,they are the same shaft just different length,,,,I think I am getting the 42" length? any thoughts from others?

BP.... no need in cleaning it now.... that baby aint coming apart unless you use a hack saw. They freeze up quickly unless you take them apart EVERY time. If not... you may as well just buy a single rod.

Dew

If you buy one you might think about body mounting. That is the only way to go. I chest mount my GT and did the same when I had my Excal. Puts the knobs right where you can see them and protects them from getting broken off. No weight on the shaft is really a treat. Even a balanced straight with the machine out the back will tire you out. You can also use the stock shaft and body mount with a simple piece of 1/2" pvc pipe clipped to your chest with cheap webbing straps.

BP.... no need in cleaning it now.... that baby aint coming aint coming apart unless you use a hack saw. They freeze up quickly unless you take them apart EVERY time. If not... you may as well just buy a single rod.

Dew
Take the coil off and put a phillips screwdriver through the bolt hole. A twist will do the trick. When you put it back together use lubricant. It works! It does not attract sand! It does not hurt the shaft! Lubricate that thing dude, you will see it come apart again easy even after months of use. This is a tried and true method for me. Work smarter....

BP.... no need in cleaning it now.... that baby aint coming aint coming apart unless you use a hack saw. They freeze up quickly unless you take them apart EVERY time. If not... you may as well just buy a single rod.

Dew

I guess it's a little late for that now :laughing: :laughing:

My travel rod is now a single rod,,,,

I guess I won't be traveling :lol:

IMA.... i tore the heck out of one of my lower rods trying to get it out. I now have a much shorter lower rod. Had to get a new one.... those things get in there just like they were welded.

Dew

I use a a Sovereign GT shaft with an extension out the back. I made my own extension for practically nothing. When I go to the beach the Sovereign will go along too. It is handy to have two different detectors that can take the same rod assembly. The Sovereign GT grip and covered cuff assembly are the most comfortable I have found. So I thought to myself I should just use the shaft as well. It turned out great.

Back
Top Bottom