Anyone have any ideas on what this is?

CoinSeeker83

I found this on my property, I tried putting a magnet to it and it would not stick, I then read online how to test silver at home and one thread said to put a piece of ice on it. If it was silver it would start melting rapidly, and it did. Also I sat a silver coin on the ground and this piece of metal in two different spots they both rang up with silver target Id. High 90-99 on my garret ace 400. I definitely am not getting my hopes up but I’m sure someone else has came across something like this...

Attachments

• 8B0E070A-4206-4499-860D-1F58F65D76BE.jpeg
    8B0E070A-4206-4499-860D-1F58F65D76BE.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 441
Here's another test you may want to try.
Simply apply bleach to a silver product. If it tarnishes quickly, then it is real silver. Otherwise, it is fake. Bleach however may damage your item and devalue it greatly.

Here's another test you may want to try.

Simply apply bleach to a silver product. If it tarnishes quickly, then it is real silver. Otherwise, it is fake. Bleach however may damage your item and devalue it greatly.

Ok thanks for the info. I’ll definitely try that as a last resort. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello, if you solve the question of silver identification often ... I use Probiersäure Silber, a solution for silver testing. 20 ml is about 10 Eu, which I think is acceptable.It is simple, fast and the object is just a small drop for identification.In the case of silver the drop will turn bloody red, otherwise it will remain gently yellow and will not destroy the item.
So, I wish many silver finds

Attachments

• silver test.jpg
    silver test.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 386
Put in a jar with the whites of some freshly hard boiled eggs. If its silver it will take less than an hour an hour to get a really heavy tarnish.

Is it flat on the other side or textured like the side shown in the photo?

Looks like it could be melted aluminum but most of that stuff usually has some pretty gnarly corrosion on it in my neck of the woods.

These are some I found. All are melted aluminum. Top left has 3 zinc pennies melted into it. All but the bottom right rang up in the zinc penny 74/76 range. The bottom right rang up in the copper penny/dime range of 81/82. Nothing rang up in the 90's. Don't know how the 400 compares to my ATPro as far as the numbers go.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 321
It looks like melted aluminum to me, but lumps of metal can rarely be identified by looks alone. Is it soft? If so, how soft? Can you mark it with your fingernail? If not, how much pressure does it take to mark it with a flathead screwdriver? Does it react to any chemicals at all? What is it's weight by volume? As far as what it looks like, it appears to not be a native alloy. Seems like it was melted into its current form. Could be any number of things really.

I love melted lumps of metal. They always lead the imagination on wild adventures....

Back
Top Bottom