• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Please Help ID 2 Coins from Civil War

accteam

Hello,

Please help ID these two coins I found. I found before these coins, some musketballs and buttons, so I know these coins are from around the same time.

The first one, I can only make out some of the words and date. As for the date it reads -80-
Looking at the front and reading the left side M--ET *H* REX
reading the right side towards the bottom, A *TE-

coin8ic.jpg

I wish I could be of more help but I cant make out the rest of words. Its a love, hate kinda of thing because I love finding something with history but hate not being able to fully read it.

As for the second coin...I'm sure most people will just say why the hell did I post it, because it is in such horrible condition and I agree with you. I was only hoping that maybe someone has or knows of a coin that has some of the lines or shapes. It looks like on the front there might be a person standing sideways with their left arm higher up then their right arm. And on the back, it looks kinda like the side profile of a face. Again, sorry to even put such a horrible pic.

FRONT
coin24uh.jpg

BACK
coinback6nh.jpg

hello ,accteam the first one has me wondering as well , but the second is a king george copper , you can almost read the (britan nia )on the back but i can't see which way the bust on the front is facing ( left for george the 2, right for george the 3 ) hope this helps a little . by the way nice finds

Could the top one be a state button, either civil war or an early commemerative??

I'd guess the first coin is some sort of English copper...the " Rex " of course refers to the King...I saw your earlier post of the Union buttons and musketballs...can't imagine why a Union soldier wpuld be carrying English coins ( if that's what they are )...maybe the items weren't lost during the same time period . Roadrunner_426

The civil war artifacts you found do not necessarily help to date the coins. The British copper could be 100 yrs or more older than the CW stuff. The first coin is still a mystery, but like Roadrunner said, the REX means King and British coins commonly had H. or HIB. before REX. I would research British coins and tokens (copper) with an -80- in the date. Should be 1800 to 1809. Here's a link to study your British Copper and other Colonial coinage.

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinText/Br-Copper.2.html

The Roman numeral II or III will be in the same place for either King George. If there's no numeral then its George the first.

Very nice finds. Congrats.

Re:I in no way are any type of expert but

I think your finds are Revolutionary war artifacts in stead of civil war artifacts! And like I said I am no expert, but I think the good folks on here are right about the date of the coins you found and I believe that they date 1700's. Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.
H.H/ To All
Greg Collins

Back
Top Bottom