Advice on Detector upgrade

ralphs

Started out several years ago with an Ace 250.... upgraded to an AT Pro International version - don't know how it made its way to Pennsylvania, but that is what I have.... It finds me stuff... I recently bought a Cors Fire 15" coil for it... haven't tried the coil yet... BUT....

Since finding and joining this forum, I've got the bug for a new machine - I've been reading, and I know what opinions are like... but would an AT Max really be much of an upgrade - or the Minelab 600 that everyone is glowing over?

Living in an area of southeastern PA where farms around me dating back the the mid 1700's are easily accessible to me - I almost sprung for a nice used eTrac until I found out they weren't waterproof... Waterproof is on my want list... Sorry for the ramblings...

Thoughts or opinions would be much apprectiated….

Thanks!

I personally like the ML's and have used both. You might want to find a club near you or some detecting buddies that you those different machines where you can see both in action. that should help you with your decision. Best of luck and Happy hunting..

I have an equinox 600 and it is a nice unit. I have an AT gold, I like it too. You could also check out the Makro Anfibio. I have one of those as well. To me you already have a comparable unit to the AT max with the extra coil you bought for your AT pro. So if I were you and really wanted to try something else, I would try the Equinox. They are very light weight. Bigger screen too plus it has a back light however, they are not built as tough as the AT pro your used to but it is still built good though.

get a real machine the 3030 ctx
all the other people use the the cheap 800 :laughing::laughing:
the 800 is just like a bounty hunter :lol::lol::lol:

Would love to have one of those ctx's... A little bit out of the play budget! Anyone who has the nox - how are they built? Photos make them look a little "cheap" - looks like the unit could be snapped off pretty easy - certainly not knocking it... just wondering how it would hold up!

The Nox is an incredible detector. I sold my Impact and my CTX. Each machine has some advantages over the other but $ for $ the Nox is the machine to get. And if you salt water hunt, it will blow you away of its capability of handling the salt.

I live in western PA , and I know these fields get big sometimes and you need to cover ground.I figure that's why you bought the 15 inch coil, and that was a great choice for more depth and alot of coverage.
Personally if I had that monster coil I'd stick with that setup for your field hunting needs, maybe fashion up a sling to take the weight off.
Lots of choices out there for another rig tho if you decide to go that route, good deals on some killer machines.

Would love to have one of those ctx's... A little bit out of the play budget! Anyone who has the nox - how are they built? Photos make them look a little "cheap" - looks like the unit could be snapped off pretty easy - certainly not knocking it... just wondering how it would hold up!

in my opinion, it is very solidly built.

no "cheap" feel to it.

Thanks for all of the advice! I got a smoking deal on a new Equinox 600 from one of the sponsors... I can't wait to try it out. In the meantime I will probably hang on to the pro for a while and play with that big coil... Thanks again to everyone!

in my opinion, it is very solidly built.
no "cheap" feel to it.
I had thought the same originally but after having 'Nox 800 for some time I agree that it's solid. I did swap out the factory shaft for a CF one that I made. I feel the Nox does things that my Excal doesn't do and vice versa. I prefer the Excal in the water and the Nox definitely in the wet sand and combo hunts. The 'Nox I feel would be a much more appropriate machine for dirt hunting due to its lighter weight, ability to swap out coils, and use of wireless headphones. Good luck!

Thanks for all of the advice! I got a smoking deal on a new Equinox 600 from one of the sponsors... I can't wait to try it out. In the meantime I will probably hang on to the pro for a while and play with that big coil... Thanks again to everyone!

Good!

Back
Top Bottom