eBay coin rolls

MSUwhat

Please move if in wrong spot. I was looking on ebay and noticed people selling unsearched rolls of wheat pennies with an Indian head at the end or nickels and dimes. Price seemed low on a few and was wondering if anyone has bought these before and had any luck. To me it kind of sounds like a scam.

I don't buy anything off Ebay, too much potential for getting scammed, not to mention, I don't trust PayPal all that much either... Any how, would think the seller would be aware of why people would be interesting in buying rolls of wheat pennies, and be aware of what to look for, in the more valuable coins. I'd expect that they have been search, might get a decent value if looking to fill a book, but would expect anything rare or valuable.

i think sportsman's guide sells a sack of them too. i remember seeing them in one of the catalogs that came out not to long ago.

I bought a couple for the heck of it. And know quite a few else who did. We came to the conclusion they can honestly say they didn't search the rolls. because they search the pennies before they drop an indian in one end and drop in 49 wheat pennies. They don't need to search the roll because they already searched the loose stuff. Quick way for a scam to make money selling toasted wheat cents:no:

It's funny too, some of the descriptions are so detailed and how my grandma left me all these coins and I'm sick so Im moving all coins and never Checoed blah blah blah. I bid on a few cheap ones figuring I'll start a little collection.

I have had 2 bought for me and the first had a 1909 vdb with fine Indian heads. And the second one had a 1909 Indian head

Ever seen those posts on CL asking for wheat pennies and paying 2 or 3 cents a penny? Thats where they get them all, then they just put them in the rolls. A scam.

When I was a freshman in high school (late 60's) I was trying to fill a Whitman penny book from pocket change (I wouldn't buy coins from a dealer to do it). I lived on the east coast so you can imagine the "s" dates were hard to find. My family took a Christmas trip to California to visit relatives and I got a $50 bag of pennies from a bank in San Francisco. I had to return home on my own to start wrestling practice. I was in O'Hare airport for a change of planes when the gym bag that I had the bank bag in broke. The bank bag was open but luckily only a couple of hundred pennies scattered over the airport floor. I think I got almost all of them back thanks to fellow air travelers but I did get some funny looks. I filled out almost all of my "s" dates (didn't get the 1909S) from that one bank bag. I also had several hundred 68-s brand new pennies that I was able to swap for better coins from my friends. But back to the thread - I've been on Ebay (as a seller) since the beginning and NO WAY would I trust those rolls to truly be unsearched.

how much did you pay for the rolls?

I think they usually go for around $10 shipped. You can buy one of those cheap shotgun roll end crimpers real cheap too. Don't need an expensive machine. I used to have some un used shotgun rolls from the seventee's. You roll stuff in those it looks like it's been rolled for years and it was rolled yesterday:lol:

As several others have mentioned above, there is no way the rolls are unsearched. You will overpay almost every time and you will never get Grampa's 1909-S VDB wheatie. Has anyone ever in the history of eBay ever received more value than what they paid for? You betcha. Just don't expect that to happen with 'unsearched' wheat pennies.

If you need a few dates to fill out your book I would suggest paying a dealer for the ones you need. There are several mail order dealers who send out monthly offerings that you can find what you need or call and ask. If you want to pay eBay-type prices Littleton will sell you coins that are overpriced. Jack Beymer as I recall offers very reasonable coins for the grade and price.

Visit your local dealer and spend a few bucks with him. Get to know him a little and he may be able to help you as well...

Couple guys here are selling wheats if you're looking for a few dates. Just post an ad in the classifieds here that you are looking for better wheat dates and mint marks, and don't want to get scammed on ebay.

Please move if in wrong spot. I was looking on ebay and noticed people selling unsearched rolls of wheat pennies with an Indian head at the end or nickels and dimes. Price seemed low on a few and was wondering if anyone has bought these before and had any luck. To me it kind of sounds like a scam.

DO NOT BUY THEM. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Just think about like this. In all your experience with penny rolls, have you EVER seen one that had anything other than a wheat, memorial or occasional Canadian penny? What are the odds of a roll leaving the mint with an IH, merc, barber, seated dime, CW token, etc on the ends? Then what are the odds the same sellers have an endless supply of these? They buy expensive machines to crimp the ends of the rolls to give the "sealed look" Total scam. My favorite is when they have their friends bid and leave feedback saying "OMG I JUST FOUND ANOTHER 1916-D MERC...That's 3 from this seller" Yeah right!
I don't buy anything off Ebay, too much potential for getting scammed, not to mention, I don't trust PayPal all that much either... Any how, would think the seller would be aware of why people would be interesting in buying rolls of wheat pennies, and be aware of what to look for, in the more valuable coins. I'd expect that they have been search, might get a decent value if looking to fill a book, but would expect anything rare or valuable.

This attitude is costing you money and buying opportunities. Bad bad bad. Paypal and ebay buyer protection make it nearly impossible for a buyer to get scammed now.

I have bought a few of them. I usually get one i do not have, but it's not in good condition. they usually consist of '40's and above. i like to go to pawn shops because some of them have buckets of wheats you can look through. the last one i went to had a $1 bin, they tossed a few wheats in that were worth around $18 a piece! :D

Then what are the odds the same sellers have an endless supply of these? They buy expensive machines to crimp the ends of the rolls to give the "sealed look" Total scam.

You can buy a set of coin shotgun roll end crimpers on ebay for 9 bucks shipped.

I bought 500 loose once for $25 (what it's cost at my coin store) and got a 1910-S and several other good ones. So it really just depends. If it costs 5¢ apiece then why not? :)

Back
Top Bottom