Another Golden after-work Hunt!

Holy shiza man! :shock:

Super congrats on the killer hunting that produced those golds!!!
Thanks GS, I went back yesterday afternoon and only found a couple of dollars in clad. :no:

That is a great hunt, congrats!
Thank you Saoirse!

Great hunt, congratulations
Thanks rider!

I like all that cheesy buttery color!:yes:
You get a golden thumbs up.
Thanks metal, Yes, the colors on the gold really stand out. I think that when the gold has been buried a long time it almost takes on an orange tint. :?::?:

Wow! Wow! Wow!!! I can only dream of those kinds of days, not much surf to play in back here in Kansas....
No but I knew a guy who did pretty good in some lakes back there. :yes:

Oh man, what a heart breaker on that ring.
That was a good hunt though. Some nice gold there.
Thanks Noreaster, Yes, that ring must have been a fresh drop to look so good. :yes:

Darn Compass, if you are trying to make me feel bad you are successful. Good grabs Buddy.
No way dog but I think I know how you feel. I've seen people here post things and have thought, "I wished I could have found that!" Every dog has its day though!

Dang Bro you kicking it Congrats on those awesome finds!
Thanks charlie! The "streak" ended yesterday. Time to do some work around the house today. ;)

WOW!!! That is an incredible hunt, just amazing to find all that and including the gold. Congrats, you killed it out there.
Thanks Salt, It's sure a great feeling to turn on the detector and start getting targets every other step. Then you know it's going to be a great hunt! :yes:

Wow...great collection of rings and other goodies!
Thanks JAK, Yes, I like the variety of finds on this hunt. :yes:

Wow! Just, :wow2:

GR8 hunt!

R5
Thanks Raider, It looks like a few of my local hunters are posting some great finds as well. Not bad for the tide conditions.

:dingding: That is one of the best hunts posted here in a while! :wow:
Thanks Felix, Funny how much more efficient this hunt was. I didn't have to put in 10 plus hours to get the good stuff this time! :yes:

Good job George! That is a great hunt! That is some nice loot!
Thank you Nick, It was a great way to start a weekend. :yes:

Another awesome hunt George! Congrats on all that yella! :clap:
Thanks Slim, After a slow start to the year it's great to see some gold in the scoop! :yes:

George....really glad to see you are getting out. Better yet, I am glad you are killing it out there. Again....nice hunt !!
Thanks Jeff, Coming up on 1 year since my surgery and it feels great to be out there like before. :yes:

nice looking booty compass congrats :D
Thanks brncofan, Our hobby never ceases to amaze me. There is so much amazing stuff out there to be found. :yes:

A friend of mine said that he was heading down to the beach after work on Friday so I said I'd join him. There were some encouraging surf reports but I wasn't too optimistic because I didn't think that the tide was all that favorable. Like I've said many times before- "I'm still learning almost every time I go detecting at the beach."
We got to the beach a couple of hours after high tide. There was a strong on-shore wind and the seas were fairly rough. The waves were coming in pretty hard and fast and were kissing the existing cut. I don't think that they were getting high enough on the slope to cut any more but the existing sand on the slope was moving around I believe.
As soon as I started hunting the wet sand I started finding coins at a surprising clip- most of them mid-slope. Not long after starting I found my first gold of the hunt- an eyeball find. "Poppy" was laying on top of a patch of black sand not unlike the gold chain I found a week ago. A short time later I found a very small gold ring. I'm not sure if it is a toe ring or a child's ring but it is stamped "14BK" (???)
picture.php

picture.php

For the next couple of hours my friend and I continued to find coins. It started to feel like my last couple of hunts when I started finding rings on the lower slope as the tide went out. I told my buddy that I felt that there was going to be a good possibility of finding rings but, unfortunately, he had to leave.
I think it was about 15 minutes later that I got a nice crisp signal very low on the slope. By this time I was working in and out of the rough surf and I didn't have much time to scoop out a target before the next wave was on top of me. I can't remember if it took me 1 or 2 attempts to get the target into the scoop but I'll never forget what a beautiful sight I saw in the basket after I rinsed it out with the next wave. There in the bottom of the scoop was an impossibly bright yellow, clean, circle of gold, radiating a rich color in the waning sunlight! I love it when there is no doubt that you have found good gold. At first I thought that the ring had some enamel or other inlay for contrast but I soon realized that some of the crevices of the ring were filled with verdigris. This ring had been there a while. :yes:
picture.php

A short time later another gold ring found its way into my finds pouch- a beautifully colored but lightweight and the ugliest gold ring I think that I have ever found. A product of the first day of jewelry making class perhaps?
picture.php

There is no stamp but the acid test indicates at least 18K.
picture.php

I continued to find coins, lead and a couple more rings on the low slope as the moonlight became all I had to see with. I scooped out a target and reached down to retrieve it from the mound. I felt the smooth shape of a ring in my hand and in the low light it looked like I had hit a grand slam- a wedding ring with large diamonds! I drove all the way home reflecting on the incredible week I had, topping it off with the find of a lifetime. Still, I wouldn't get too excited until I was able to read the markings inside the ring.
picture.php

This is the Friendly Metal Detecting Forum so I can't repeat what I said when I got home and read the "925" stamped on the inside of the ring. Still, it is silver and I had found 4 more pieces of gold jewelry on this hunt so it was an amazing week anyway!
picture.php

picture.php

GL&HH!

If you're not already sure, test the diamonds anyway. I have several rings I've made that contain real diamonds, Silver rings are easy to purchase, look great, and setting nice stones in them works just fine. I'm actually surprised more people don't buy silver when they want "white gold." Gold ain't white. you're either looking at Rhodium or a stripped away alloy of gold (with the outer coating of gold removed!).

Nice going Compass :yes: good timing to give the beach a check even if you didn't think it was good. Sounds like you found pretty perfect conditions and not much junk for the dual field to find

Back
Top Bottom