How to make a Straight Shaft for $30. with parts list

CanSlaw

Elite Member
I am traveling right now, so I will give the best details I can as my supply notes are at home on my work bench.

Parts list:
7/8 in aluminum tubing. 28 to 36 inch
Shaft Clamp
arm cuff
nylon web belt strap
single sided sticky weather strip. (if needed)
bicycle hand grip and foam grips for handles.
1 1/2 inch 1/4-20 nylon bolts and nuts
Bicycle handle bar end plug
1/4 inch drill bit

Shaft: is 7/8 aluminum tubing. Where I live there are lots of boats and the tubing is marine rails. I find my tubing in the scrap yard and buy it there when I can. If not an aluminum supply house from the phone book, or a boat repair dealers may have scraps. Check what length of tubing you need for your detector from the measurements of Anderson or Plugger shafts online. An Excalibur will be longer than a box type detector. If you hip mount as I do the shaft length will be 28 inches The only lower shafts that do not fit the aluminum are Garrett lower rods. For those I use a Whites lower rod.
Use one of the bicycle handle plugs to plug the back end of the straight shaft, or they can be bought at a hardware store for 50 cents.

Arm Cuffs: I use the cheapest ones I can find online. The last one I bought was a $3.00 plastic one on line. It is not padded, so I used 3 strips of 1.5 inch single sided sticky weather striping to pad the arm cuff, it's working fine. Or you can use the arm cuff off of your crooked shaft that you will be replacing.

1 inch nylon web belt with plastic buckle from Wal*Mart in Sporting goods, $2.00. I used a drumel to cut slots in both sides of the arm cuff for the arm strap. Max "borrows" his straps from shopping carts and goes all the way around the arm cuff attaching with Velcro at the bottom of the cuff.

Hand Grip: Aluminum Bicycle handle bar extensions, also know as climbing bars: Wal*Mart package of 2, $6.50. I grease the thread with silicone grease before installing to prevent salt water corrosion.

Foam Grips for handle: Wal*Mart package of 2 about $2.00

!/4 in x 20 X 1.5 inch nylon bolts and hex nuts: Home Depot or Lowe's. Can't remember the price, but they came in packages of 2 and 4 for a couple of bucks Buy extras to carry for spare coil bolts. I switched from nylon wingnuts to hex head nuts, much easier on the hands when carrying the detector. Also only hand tighten, no tools needed and they hold fine.

Shaft Clamp: Plugger shaft clamp. Buy from his web site $12.00 free shipping. On ebay $16.00 because of ebay's ripoff fees.
http://rodsbyplugger.com/

Mark your holes where your control box will mount, copy location from the shaft manufactures pictures for your model detector. If you have a drill press, GREAT, I don't, so I use the pipe holder in my vise. Drill your holes as straight as possible. If the drill bit went through the nylon bolts will to, they are forgiving. If you have to enlarge one of the holes to get the bolt to line up with the control box, it's no big deal the one perfect hole will still hold the control box from flopping.

Mark where the shaft clamp will go, then drill holes every 1.5 inch up the shaft for lower rod adjustment, if you want it. On some lower shaft, no holes are needed, the Plugger clamp hold perfectly. I only drill the holes for my comfortable length and maybe one other if I want a lazy shorter shaft day.

I also attach a piece of web belt to the hand grip for a hand strap with 2 stainless steel sheet metal screws. The hand strap is nice for hunting in rough water and helps relieve hand fatigue.

Plug the end of your straight shaft was a soft bicycle handle bar end cap to keep sand out of the shaft. Remove this cap for fresh water flushing after hunting. No more frozen lower shafts.

I hope this helps and that I have covered everything. A straight shaft is pretty easy to build and is not real technical. Adjustments are easy to make by sliding the handle where it is comfortable for you and to balance the control box.

I also have a tether added to my shaft for rough water hunting.

If you have any ideas to add, please feel free to, I enjoy upgrades.

Attachments

• Shaft 001.jpg
    Shaft 001.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 6,772
  • Shaft 003.jpg
    Shaft 003.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 6,517
Nice, I just got my aluminum tubing, handlebar grips, and rubber grip covers. I need to get me one of those plugger shaft lock thingies.

Gonna put it all together tomorrow, and ghetto rig the lower shaft til plugger lock arrives.

Can't beat that price

Nice work and details CS...........lotta times those handle bar ends are at a off set angle so to get them lined up you have to heat the joint with a propane torch and you can align them...yours looks fine thought...Nice looking setup!!

for the dummy can you tell me what the advantage of a strait shaft is,,,, thanks

Nice work and details CS...........lotta times those handle bar ends are at a off set angle so to get them lined up you have to heat the joint with a propane torch and you can align them...yours looks fine thought...Nice looking setup!!

You're right, all of the expensive ones at bike shops were all offset. The cheap ones at Wal*Mart are almost straight and work perfect. Good point.

I tell you one of the best CUFFs ive found was on an aluminum crutch i got at good will. Those ones that have the cuff.... rod.... and hand grip.... sweet, i could use the whole thing and even had holes punched at the bottom for a lower adjustment rod. I think i paid $8 for the thing.

Dew

I tell you one of the best CUFFs ive found was on an aluminum crutch i got at good will. Those ones that have the cuff.... rod.... and hand grip.... sweet, i could use the whole thing and even had holes punched at the bottom for a lower adjustment rod. I think i paid $8 for the thing.

Dew
I saw a guy on a beach several years ago that had made a straight shaft out of one of those crutches. It was a good looking straight shaft too. I keep checking Goodwill, but I haven't been able to catch a pair for sale. Heck the 2 arm cuffs are worth 8 bucks.

Hey,

I have a source for Ball Lock Spring Clips if it helps with someones project.

I make custom fiberglass and aluminum lowers for some of my clients.
(I have a machine shop)

If your upper has a single row of holes just nip off one ball end.

picture.php

There are others, but these are stainless steel and reasonably priced.

picture.php

http://www.dmobx.com/tesoroparts.htm

picture.php

picture.php

Very nice info! I made mine as well! LOVE IT!!

I saw a guy on a beach several years ago that had made a straight shaft out of one of those crutches. It was a good looking straight shaft too. I keep checking Goodwill, but I haven't been able to catch a pair for sale. Heck the 2 arm cuffs are worth 8 bucks.

That's a GREAT idea! :yes:

Yes, great idea, and I think some are stainless steel.

Very cool.

Back
Top Bottom