Simplex+ USA Waiting Thread

I do like the spread on the VDI. Took it to a local park this morning and dug some clad just to get a feel for the numbers and sounds. Zinc pennies ring up around 66-67 and coppers come in at about 76-77. Clad dimes at 78-80 and quarters 90-91. Silver quarters ring up a little higher at 93-95 in air test. The one nickle I found came in at 24-25. Tested it on some IHP's and they came in at 62-63 (they are very crusty so a clean one may ring up differently).

That is what I like, a better separation on those coins. Compare to the tight grouping of the Equinox 800.

IH – bronze – 1864-1909 1906 = 20-23
Wheat 1909 – 1958 = 24-25
Clad dime 23-25
Memorials 1959-1982 copper alloy – 1980 = 24-25
Memorials 1982-2008 copper plated zinc – 1994 = 20-21
2010 to date shield 20-21

And on the 800 depending on depth, these numbers can vary by 1 or 2.

That is what I like, a better separation on those coins. Compare to the tight grouping of the Equinox 800.

IH – bronze – 1864-1909 1906 = 20-23
Wheat 1909 – 1958 = 24-25
Clad dime 23-25
Memorials 1959-1982 copper alloy – 1980 = 24-25
Memorials 1982-2008 copper plated zinc – 1994 = 20-21
2010 to date shield 20-21

And on the 800 depending on depth, these numbers can vary by 1 or 2.

I get relatively the same numbers as you except for me clad dimes never hit as low as 23 but copper memorials do. The only real problem I can see with these I.Ds being as compressed as they are is if you absolutely do not want to dig copper pennys. Yeah sometimes I can't tell between the two but I don't care cause I'm gonna dig the coppers anyway. Also I find that when I hit a VDI of 24-25 but occasionally get a blip of a 26 or a 27 it's always a dime, Same with the coppers, If I get a 24-25 with the occasional 23 mixed in it's almost always a copper memorial. Either way if it hits 22 or higher I'm most definitely digging, especially if it's deep. I find the Equinox to I.D coins very well but I also was swinging a 705 before it and the 705 has the same compressed VDI as the Nox, Maybe I'm just used to it.

Response speed?

How fast of recovery/response does this machine have compared to something like a Teknetics T2?

spenglure said:
How fast of recovery/response does this machine have compared to something like a Teknetics T2?
Dan, since this tread started out regarding the Nokta / Makro Simplex+ then I'll presume you're asking about the performance of that $299 detector to the Teknetics T2 series.

First, let me clarify that my own Simplex+ hasn't arrived yet so I can't give you a hands-on reply, and when nit gets here I'll only compare the Simplex+ w/stock 11" DD to the T2+ w/standard 11" BiAxial, even though 'theory' suggests it might have an edge due to the coil's narrower configuration.

But, you stated "recovery/response" and brings me to a topic I am often asked about and one that is best answered with a side-by-side demonstration between different detectors and coils.

Second, I'll also clarify that I am no stranger to the T2 series, either. I got my hands on my first Tek. T2 in 2006 when they were introduced, and have owned and used the T2, T2 SE Ltd., T2 'Classic' and the last rendition, the T2+. I am very familiar with their very quick target response, as I am with the Tek. Omega 8000. I note you have the Omega 8500 which is close to similar, but I favored the 8000 have owned and used several V4 as well as V5 and V6 versions.

Where most of the motion-based Discrimination detectors introduced in '78 originally required a very brisk sweep speed using the so-called 4-filter circuitry design, it was improved through the years to what might be a modest or moderate sweep speed with the likes of an XLT that came out in '94. We did, however, get our first slow-motion Disc. model with the Fisher 1260X in '82 which allowed us to use a slower and methodical sweep speed and get a faster or quicker response than the former design. That's because they used a "double-derivative" or 2-Filter circuitry design. There were/are trade-offs, but the ease of operation was appreciated and really caught on.

The problem, however, is that the Fisher circuitry design wasn't very good at Discriminating or rejection of nails and other common iron debris. We were rewarded with jack Gifford's design of the Inca, introduced in July of '83, and that gave us silent-search, the slow-motion with quick-response/fast recovery with much improved iron rejection.

Note that I referred to that performance as "Quick-Response/Fast-Recovery." This is a simple description of what we hear, such as sweeping across a penny and the ability to recover and respond to a nearby dime. Often we see the word 'separation' used to describe this behavior and, in some cases, this might be applied correctly.

I can take my T2+ w/5" DD coil and sweep it across my Test Strip of 7, nickel-size brass Trade Tokens that are 2" apart, center-to-center. Of all the many detectors I have put to the test using their smaller-size search coils, the T2's set a very impressive Quick-Response/Fast-Recovery standard for any detector to try and match, most don't and many are terrible when it comes to trying to recover.

That is a good example of the Response and Recovery we like to have when hunting a tot-lot or other high-count Coin Hunting site. All of the makes and models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit can hold-their-own in a high-traffic, dense coin producing site using the Nokta CoRe w/small 'OOR' DD, Relic w/5" DD, Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric coils, Makro Racer 2 w/5" DD or 7" Concentric coils, and my XP ORX w/5X9½ DD and a modified White's IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric.

However, the bulk of my detecting since mid-'83 shifted from urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting to Relic Hunting places that tend to have an abundance of iron nails and other closely-associated ferrous objects. I did use my T2's w/5" DD coil for a lot of those old and iron littered sites, especially when iron nails were the main offender, but did struggle when there were too many that were too closely associated. Now to understand WHY and how we look at 'Separation' and 'Fast Recovery.'

Using the 7 brass trade-tokens inline and centered in 12", the T2 will display very impressive Response-Recovery-Response times. Note that I added the extra 'response' in that because that is what we are really needing to consider in order to hunt trashier sites and unmask desired targets in a ferrous-challenged environment. Why is that? Because we are dealing with rejected or Discriminated targets as well as the keepers we are looking for.

ALL detectors will encounter both accepted and rejected targets during a search, and they are going to Respond to each of them. In the case of the 7 Trade Tokens, they Respond with a positive audio you can hear and then it appears they can Recover from that positive response and then Respond positively on the next favorable target.

But when we are searching and encounter any Discriminated or rejected targets, such as a nail or other rejected ferrous target, we usually DON'T hear it because it is Discriminated. But that was the detector's Response to a bad target and THEN the unit's circuitry has to Recover from that rejected target before it can Respond to the next encountered target, be it a rejected or accepted type object. And THERE is the biggest problem with some circuitry designs.

I can lay five coins on the ground in an 8"X11" area. Some detectors on the market still struggle to respond to all of them if another coin is too close for them to recover, but usually if maybe 3" or more apart in that space, all of my detectors will hit on each individual coin. I used to use the Omega 8000 and T2 for a lot of my urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting because they, also, can isolate the individual coins in their motion Disc. mode reasonably well.

But I also compare every make and model and coils using my Nail Board Performance Test this past 25+ years, and that has 4 iron nails of different sizes and in the orientation as I encountered them in a ghost town, on top of the ground with an Indian Head Cent centered amongst them. A very good test to demonstrate a detector's ability to Respond-Recover-and Respond when swept across the Nail Board in four direction from both left and right. A possible 8 hits on a small one Cent coin in the centered position.

The Omega 8000 is a very Quick-Response detector as is the T2. So is my Fisher F44. Using a 4" Concentric or 5" DD or 7" Concentric on the Omega 8000 or F44, you'd be lucky to get more than just 1 or 2 dig-worthy responses out of 8 possible. WHY? Because although they have a Quick Response, they struggle to Recover from the iron nails they encountered fast enough to Respond to the coin, especially with other iron nails nearby and encountered as the coil is in the sweep motion. The T2 w/5" DD beats them, but still falls a little short of performance compared with my Relic Hunting group of Nokta, Makro, White's, Tesoro and XP models and coils mentioned above.

I've seen where the Simplex appears to be fast and displays a Quick Response, but until I actually test it, I'm not certain how well it will Recover in a very iron littered site. Going against it is the big, round 11" DD coil and I am certain a smaller-size coil, such as a 5" DD, would improve the field performance for Response-Recovery-Response performance. We just need the smaller-size coil to be fair.

Monte

Dan, since this tread started out regarding the Nokta / Makro Simplex+ then I'll presume you're asking about the performance of that $299 detector to the Teknetics T2 series.

First, let me clarify that my own Simplex+ hasn't arrived yet so I can't give you a hands-on reply, and when nit gets here I'll only compare the Simplex+ w/stock 11" DD to the T2+ w/standard 11" BiAxial, even though 'theory' suggests it might have an edge due to the coil's narrower configuration.

But, you stated "recovery/response" and brings me to a topic I am often asked about and one that is best answered with a side-by-side demonstration between different detectors and coils.

Second, I'll also clarify that I am no stranger to the T2 series, either. I got my hands on my first Tek. T2 in 2006 when they were introduced, and have owned and used the T2, T2 SE Ltd., T2 'Classic' and the last rendition, the T2+. I am very familiar with their very quick target response, as I am with the Tek. Omega 8000. I note you have the Omega 8500 which is close to similar, but I favored the 8000 have owned and used several V4 as well as V5 and V6 versions.

Where most of the motion-based Discrimination detectors introduced in '78 originally required a very brisk sweep speed using the so-called 4-filter circuitry design, it was improved through the years to what might be a modest or moderate sweep speed with the likes of an XLT that came out in '94. We did, however, get our first slow-motion Disc. model with the Fisher 1260X in '82 which allowed us to use a slower and methodical sweep speed and get a faster or quicker response than the former design. That's because they used a "double-derivative" or 2-Filter circuitry design. There were/are trade-offs, but the ease of operation was appreciated and really caught on.

The problem, however, is that the Fisher circuitry design wasn't very good at Discriminating or rejection of nails and other common iron debris. We were rewarded with jack Gifford's design of the Inca, introduced in July of '83, and that gave us silent-search, the slow-motion with quick-response/fast recovery with much improved iron rejection.

Note that I referred to that performance as "Quick-Response/Fast-Recovery." This is a simple description of what we hear, such as sweeping across a penny and the ability to recover and respond to a nearby dime. Often we see the word 'separation' used to describe this behavior and, in some cases, this might be applied correctly.

I can take my T2+ w/5" DD coil and sweep it across my Test Strip of 7, nickel-size brass Trade Tokens that are 2" apart, center-to-center. Of all the many detectors I have put to the test using their smaller-size search coils, the T2's set a very impressive Quick-Response/Fast-Recovery standard for any detector to try and match, most don't and many are terrible when it comes to trying to recover.

That is a good example of the Response and Recovery we like to have when hunting a tot-lot or other high-count Coin Hunting site. All of the makes and models in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit can hold-their-own in a high-traffic, dense coin producing site using the Nokta CoRe w/small 'OOR' DD, Relic w/5" DD, Tesoro Bandido II µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" Concentric coils, Makro Racer 2 w/5" DD or 7" Concentric coils, and my XP ORX w/5X9½ DD and a modified White's IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric.

However, the bulk of my detecting since mid-'83 shifted from urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting to Relic Hunting places that tend to have an abundance of iron nails and other closely-associated ferrous objects. I did use my T2's w/5" DD coil for a lot of those old and iron littered sites, especially when iron nails were the main offender, but did struggle when there were too many that were too closely associated. Now to understand WHY and how we look at 'Separation' and 'Fast Recovery.'

Using the 7 brass trade-tokens inline and centered in 12", the T2 will display very impressive Response-Recovery-Response times. Note that I added the extra 'response' in that because that is what we are really needing to consider in order to hunt trashier sites and unmask desired targets in a ferrous-challenged environment. Why is that? Because we are dealing with rejected or Discriminated targets as well as the keepers we are looking for.

ALL detectors will encounter both accepted and rejected targets during a search, and they are going to Respond to each of them. In the case of the 7 Trade Tokens, they Respond with a positive audio you can hear and then it appears they can Recover from that positive response and then Respond positively on the next favorable target.

But when we are searching and encounter any Discriminated or rejected targets, such as a nail or other rejected ferrous target, we usually DON'T hear it because it is Discriminated. But that was the detector's Response to a bad target and THEN the unit's circuitry has to Recover from that rejected target before it can Respond to the next encountered target, be it a rejected or accepted type object. And THERE is the biggest problem with some circuitry designs.

I can lay five coins on the ground in an 8"X11" area. Some detectors on the market still struggle to respond to all of them if another coin is too close for them to recover, but usually if maybe 3" or more apart in that space, all of my detectors will hit on each individual coin. I used to use the Omega 8000 and T2 for a lot of my urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting because they, also, can isolate the individual coins in their motion Disc. mode reasonably well.

But I also compare every make and model and coils using my Nail Board Performance Test this past 25+ years, and that has 4 iron nails of different sizes and in the orientation as I encountered them in a ghost town, on top of the ground with an Indian Head Cent centered amongst them. A very good test to demonstrate a detector's ability to Respond-Recover-and Respond when swept across the Nail Board in four direction from both left and right. A possible 8 hits on a small one Cent coin in the centered position.

The Omega 8000 is a very Quick-Response detector as is the T2. So is my Fisher F44. Using a 4" Concentric or 5" DD or 7" Concentric on the Omega 8000 or F44, you'd be lucky to get more than just 1 or 2 dig-worthy responses out of 8 possible. WHY? Because although they have a Quick Response, they struggle to Recover from the iron nails they encountered fast enough to Respond to the coin, especially with other iron nails nearby and encountered as the coil is in the sweep motion. The T2 w/5" DD beats them, but still falls a little short of performance compared with my Relic Hunting group of Nokta, Makro, White's, Tesoro and XP models and coils mentioned above.

I've seen where the Simplex appears to be fast and displays a Quick Response, but until I actually test it, I'm not certain how well it will Recover in a very iron littered site. Going against it is the big, round 11" DD coil and I am certain a smaller-size coil, such as a 5" DD, would improve the field performance for Response-Recovery-Response performance. We just need the smaller-size coil to be fair.

Monte

Monte - this was extremely impressive/useful information. Thank you for taking the time writing this out! I mean, really appreciated!! Yes, I am a T2 user and recently bought the T2 +. Also have the Omega as you mentioned. I like the fast response of these machines and I am interested in trying out the Simplex, but I was wondering if the response speed was similar to a T2.

spenglure: Monte - this was extremely impressive/useful information. Thank you for taking the time writing this out! I mean, really appreciated!!
Thank you for your kind words, and it was my pleasure. I hope it helps a few other readers get a better understanding or how detectors handle a response to both accepted targets as well as rejected targets, especially when iron is involved.

spenglure: Yes, I am a T2 user and recently bought the T2 +. Also have the Omega as you mentioned.
The T2+ is a really useful detectors, was are the Omega series. My preference in the T2 line is the '+' version, and of the Omega's I much preferred the 8000 series over the current 8500 version. In my opinion they can make very versatile detectors for urban Coin & Jewelry sites, and do fairly well in a rural environment as long as there is minimal iron debris, and that it is well spaced. Most of the old sites I hunt, however, have very densely littered areas and the abundance of nails and other ferrous junk amazes friends who have joined me on a hunt when they are not used to those conditions.

spenglure: I like the fast response of these machines and I am interested in trying out the Simplex, but I was wondering if the response speed was similar to a T2.
Impressively fast, when working areas without a lot of nearby rejected trash to deal with, and that's one of the reasons I also liked them.

I, too, am waiting to get my Simplex+ in-hand for comparison, and knowing how quick the response & recovery are with the CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, Impact, Kruzer and Anfibio Multi, I really don't think they overlooked that area of performance.

The only thing overlooked was having a smaller-size accessory coil at release, but I am hoping we'll see a 5" DD for tight congestion areas and hopefully a 7" Concentric for a good, all-around general purpose search coil. I'm sure we'll see a coil or two offered for the Simplex+ coming soon. When I get mine I'll do some comparisons, side-by-side, and report back.

Monte

spenglure: Monte - this was extremely impressive/useful information. Thank you for taking the time writing this out! I mean, really appreciated!!
Thank you for your kind words, and it was my pleasure. I hope it helps a few other readers get a better understanding or how detectors handle a response to both accepted targets as well as rejected targets, especially when iron is involved.

spenglure: Yes, I am a T2 user and recently bought the T2 +. Also have the Omega as you mentioned.
The T2+ is a really useful detectors, was are the Omega series. My preference in the T2 line is the '+' version, and of the Omega's I much preferred the 8000 series over the current 8500 version. In my opinion they can make very versatile detectors for urban Coin & Jewelry sites, and do fairly well in a rural environment as long as there is minimal iron debris, and that it is well spaced. Most of the old sites I hunt, however, have very densely littered areas and the abundance of nails and other ferrous junk amazes friends who have joined me on a hunt when they are not used to those conditions.

spenglure: I like the fast response of these machines and I am interested in trying out the Simplex, but I was wondering if the response speed was similar to a T2.
Impressively fast, when working areas without a lot of nearby rejected trash to deal with, and that's one of the reasons I also liked them.

I, too, am waiting to get my Simplex+ in-hand for comparison, and knowing how quick the response & recovery are with the CoRe, Relic, Racer 2, Impact, Kruzer and Anfibio Multi, I really don't think they overlooked that area of performance.

The only thing overlooked was having a smaller-size accessory coil at release, but I am hoping we'll see a 5" DD for tight congestion areas and hopefully a 7" Concentric for a good, all-around general purpose search coil. I'm sure we'll see a coil or two offered for the Simplex+ coming soon. When I get mine I'll do some comparisons, side-by-side, and report back.

Monte

Thanks Monte. Again these are very helpful responses to me and others on this site. You can tell you have tremendous experience with a lot of detectors. Especially helpfu to guys like me who have only used a handful of detectors.

I just got on the waiting list today, so it'll be a little bit yet. Hoping it arrives before we freeze here for the winter.

I just put mine together. It’s really well made and it doesn’t seem flimsy to me on the coil end like I saw and heard on other reviews.

I turned it on once inside and It was loud! Drove the wife and dog nuts. :roll:

I’m thinking I should have bought the unit with the earphones.

Headphones

I just put mine together. It’s really well made and it doesn’t seem flimsy to me on the coil end like I saw and heard on other reviews.

I turned it on once inside and It was loud! Drove the wife and dog nuts. :roll:

I’m thinking I should have bought the unit with the earphones.

I have the headphone version on the way. I did see a wireless headphone box out there from Nokta that works with it, but their name escapes me now. I think I might go that was later down the road since I like to use my in-ear monitors instead of headphones.

I had mine out for a 4 hour hunt.

Unbelievable unit for the price. I already have an Impact and love the 12 modes and 3 frequencies.

This detector is simple to set up and fun to operate.
A bonus is that the wireless headphones will also work with my Impact.

Dave_e said:
I had mine out for a 4 hour hunt.
Lucky ... It was clear and sunny most of the day, but not warm enough for me to last more than an hour or so. "Winter" is closing in fast here and we might end up with a white Thanksgiving. I have one vacation planned to a slightly warmer place to take my Simplex+ for some salt water beach hunting in a week-and-a-half ... then back to cabin fever season.

Dave_e said:
Unbelievable unit for the price. I already have an Impact and love the 12 modes and 3 frequencies.
Like all Nokta / Makro devices, it's unbelievable what they put on the market at terrific prices. The Impact was a favorite for me using just 4 or 5 modes to handle my needs.

Dave_e said:
This detector is simple to set up and fun to operate.
You pointed out two fine points of interest about the Simplex+ or any detector we enjoy: 'Simple' and 'Fun!'

Dave_e said:
A bonus is that the wireless headphones will also work with my Impact.
I'm going to use the wireless headphones as well as my preferred corded headphones, but I'm curious about the audio quality of the waterproof headphones and might have to get some to try during the winter. I'm a bit hearing impaired but have heard from a few users that the audio is very good.

Monte

I was wondering if the response speed was similar to a T2.

Yes, in park mode the Simplex response time is fast, similar to the T2. In field mode it's slightly slower but not significantly. So far the T2 seems to be a better machine at detecting trashy ground than the Simplex in my opinion.

I think Nokta should have used a 7" x 11" coil on the Simplex like they did with the Makro Kruzer. Those big 11" coils work great on multi freq machines in trashy areas but not so well on a single 12 kHz machine. It would loose a little depth but it would be a better all round machine.

Yes, in park mode the Simplex response time is fast, similar to the T2. In field mode it's slightly slower but not significantly. So far the T2 seems to be a better machine at detecting trashy ground than the Simplex in my opinion.

I think Nokta should have used a 7" x 11" coil on the Simplex like they did with the Makro Kruzer. Those big 11" coils work great on multi freq machines in trashy areas but not so well on a single 12 kHz machine. It would loose a little depth but it would be a better all round machine.

Good to know! Decent depth though?

Estima8tor said:
I think Nokta should have used a 7" x 11" coil on the Simplex like they did with the Makro Kruzer.
After using the Anfibio Multi, I liked the 11" round coil much better ... however, I think it should have been an accessory coil. A nice coil for places like the UK plowed fields. I would have preferred to have the Simplex+ with either a round 7" Concentric or open-frame 5X9½ DD as a 'standard' coil. But, they can't please us all, all of the time.

Estima8tor said:
Those big 11" coils work great on multi freq machines in trashy areas but not so well on a single 12 kHz machine.
It doesn't really matter all that much if a detector is a multi-frequency or single-frequency, as that difference alone isn't going to make an 11" round DD coil work any better ... or worse. An 11' coil will generate an EMF and a detector will have to process any disruption/signal, and that really gets more into the rest of the circuitry design, not just the frequency.

Even models like the Equinox would benefit from a smaller-size search coil to some degree, just as the Simplex+ will when Nokta / Makro get optional coils on the market.

I was demonstrating performance differences yesterday to a fellow using two somewhat comparable detectors with comparable search coils (my Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' and 7X11 DD coils and my Teknetics T2+ w/5" DD and 11" BiAxial coils) to show him some of the pros and cons of the two models with the same settings and almost the same coils.

I think the 11" coil is going to work out just fine, generally, but am awaiting the release of one or two smaller-size coils.

Monte

After using the Anfibio Multi, I liked the 11" round coil much better ... however, I think it should have been an accessory coil. A nice coil for places like the UK plowed fields. I would have preferred to have the Simplex+ with either a round 7" Concentric or open-frame 5X9½ DD as a 'standard' coil. But, they can't please us all, all of the time.

It doesn't really matter all that much if a detector is a multi-frequency or single-frequency, as that difference alone isn't going to make an 11" round DD coil work any better ... or worse. An 11' coil will generate an EMF and a detector will have to process any disruption/signal, and that really gets more into the rest of the circuitry design, not just the frequency.

Even models like the Equinox would benefit from a smaller-size search coil to some degree, just as the Simplex+ will when Nokta / Makro get optional coils on the market.

I think the 11" coil is going to work out just fine, generally, but am awaiting the release of one or two smaller-size coils.

Monte

I hunt a lot of farm fields here in Virginia so I do like the larger coil for that purpose but I am also looking forward to trying different coils on the Simplex.

I don't have any experience with multi-frequency machines as you do but I have noticed that they do better in trashy areas with the round 11" coils. If it's your opinion that multi-frequency isn't the main reason for the better performance and it has to do with circuitry as well then I will take your word on that.

Needing a 2nd or 3rd coil was always an necessity to get the best from a detector, but that changed for myself with the Equinox.
The 11 coil covers most bases as it has great depth any sensitivity, its soo good infact that its reported by one of the engineers the 6 inch only give a 12% increase in separation.

I hunt a lot of farm fields here in Virginia so I do like the larger coil for that purpose but I am also looking forward to trying different coils on the Simplex.

I don't have any experience with multi-frequency machines as you do but I have noticed that they do better in trashy areas with the round 11" coils. If it's your opinion that multi-frequency isn't the main reason for the better performance and it has to do with circuitry as well then I will take your word on that.

Needing a 2nd or 3rd coil was always an necessity to get the best from a detector, but that changed for myself with the Equinox.
The 11 coil covers most bases as it has great depth any sensitivity, its soo good infact that its reported by one of the engineers the 6 inch only give a 12% increase in separation.

I like that about the Nox machines. They seem to be able to snipe out targets and go deep with the same stock coil. I've also heard some Nox users say they really like using the 6" coil.

Back
Top Bottom