Returning to the hobby

Jacatro

Greetings from Long Island- South Shore...

Many years ago, I bought a Whites Coinmaster- didn't really have enough time to devote to it, but I enjoyed tracking down spots, researching the history and then just seeing what was there....
The Coinmaster went the way of the kids- I'm now retired and was recently inspired to take up the hobby again- no idea what to get, but looking forward to the hunt-
Thanks for having me!

Greetings from Long Island- South Shore...

Many years ago, I bought a Whites Coinmaster- didn't really have enough time to devote to it, but I enjoyed tracking down spots, researching the history and then just seeing what was there....
The Coinmaster went the way of the kids- I'm now retired and was recently inspired to take up the hobby again- no idea what to get, but looking forward to the hunt-
Thanks for having me!

How much do you want to spend and what kind of hunting are you going to do?
Land, Beach, etc.

How much do you want to spend and what kind of hunting are you going to do?
Land, Beach, etc.

I live about 20 minutes from Jones Beach, so I'll probably start out getting my feet wet (!) there...
But I also enjoy relic hunting-
Looking at the Garrett ACE 400...
But open to any and all suggestions...:)

I live about 20 minutes from Jones Beach, so I'll probably start out getting my feet wet (!) there...
But I also enjoy relic hunting-
Looking at the Garrett ACE 400...
But open to any and all suggestions...:)

The ACE 400 will not function very well in the wet sand but will do okay in the dry sand. i would also recommend a unit with a numerical display.

The ACE 400 will not function very well in the wet sand but will do okay in the dry sand. i would also recommend a unit with a numerical display.

If you (or anyone) was starting up- looking for a unit for both fresh and salt water's EDGE (not diving)...which would you choose?

Welcome from S.E. Kansas. My story is similiar. I started out in about 1981 with a White's 6000-D which I still have but hadn't used it since 1982. But got the bug again this past August. Bought an ACE 300 then the next month bought an AT PRO which is a great machine. But after reading and watching videos I added the XP Deus just before Christmas. Still learning it but think I'm gonna love it. It's so light weight and the wireless headphones are a real plus.
No beaches around here so not gonna be hunting in wet sand or salt water. Actually not getting in any water.
Anyway, let us know what you decide to get and show us your finds.

If you (or anyone) was starting up- looking for a unit for both fresh and salt water's EDGE (not diving)...which would you choose?

Since you had a Whites detector in the past, I would probably get aTreasure Pro as a starter. To do well on the beach in salt water you really need a multi frequency detector but they are pricey. The Treasure Pro has a beach mode that is supposed to compensate for the salt water. I never tried mine at the beach but I really liked it and thought it was a good detector for the price range. You can take a look at my YouTube channel and I have a video on the Treasure Pro. It is a fun little machine and performed nicely. The video has mostly real shallow targets but will give you an idea of the performance. I made some good finds with mine but unfortunately they are not on that video. Good Luck with whatever you choose and I am sure you will get lots of recommendations.

Minelab should have the new Equinox on the street in the next month or so. Supposed to work on All types of area. Waterproof (resistant) to 10 feet, said to work on salt water beaches as well as dry land.

Back
Top Bottom