My waterproof Sovereign GT Mod.

JerseyMatt

So how does everyone like my waterproof/wave proof box? I did a 1ft bathtub test (without the unit of course) and no leaks Not that i am going to go past chest deep since my headphones are not waterproof. And since i don't change my settings that much i will be putting it in my back pack to allow for maximum movement/field of vision and scooping.

Attachments

• 20140107_145432.jpg
    20140107_145432.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,538
  • 20140107_145500.jpg
    20140107_145500.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 20140107_145513.jpg
    20140107_145513.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,249
  • 20140107_145547.jpg
    20140107_145547.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1,495
I like the fact you used a bigger box so the wires aren't pinched.. one of these days I'll do that..;) I have a backpack to hold the box as I don't want it in front of me as its annoying.

Thanks, I actually have the smaller one but once i realized it was wayy too tight i scrapped it and moved up to the larger one. That small one just won't work without wireless headphones and even then with the adapter it would've been too tight. So that box is good for storage with drainage now lol. As you said i am putting it in my back pack because it is too big now for chest mounting and even if it wasn't it would annoy me also. :yes:

Looks good!!

Does anyone know if backpacks make you more buoyant in the water? I had a hell of a time scooping in chest deep salt water last year because I couldn't get enough weight down on my scoop

Thanks Jressman, I can tell you this...Wether a backpack makes you buoyant or not i do not know yet but this box can be used as a flotation device that's for sure lol

What scoop are you using? I have a T-Rex 9.5 and it is heavy...

Nice looking mod! I'll be doing my Sovereign soon, got all the parts, just been lazy...

My only concern is how I will adjust the sensitivity or turn the machine on or off with wet hands... or if it's raining.

Thanks Crumble! The way i see it is, I leave my settings alone for the most part. But it would take me 5mins or less to change them if i need to. I could also convert back to land use in 5-10 mins too. But since i plan on spending alot more time in the water this coming summer i am not too concerned. I figure if my hands are wet then it is not getting shut off until i am dried off a bit or until i am back to my truck. Best thing about the larger box, I can store my wallet,cell phone and keys in it too and keep a drink and towel in the back pack (the towel will be left on the dry sand if i head into the water) :cool:

Me too! That scoop destroyed my elbow last season. I can finally use my elbow without pain, but with summer comes another destroyed elbow haha!

Yeah that thing beats you up but it does recover targets faster. I added a back saver handle to mine within a month of getting it and it helps. I think it was less than 10 bucks on ebay :)

Real nice work, Mr Max will be proud of you!!

I used a back pack xs2 for one summer, then I realized after about 5 times out I'm a adjuster. Also I had the remote PP, but I loved the fact all was light weight, and that was a 800 bbs coil. I ran all wires thru the shaft and ran a AMP (Afterburner) on it which gave me a few more inch's....the deepest I took it was maybe waist deep with waves around my chest and never felt like the Backpack was a issue.

Attachments

• Frankensovereign%20(3).jpg
    Frankensovereign%20(3).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Backpack Frank .jpg
    Backpack Frank .jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 1,171
Real nice work, Mr Max will be proud of you!!

I used a back pack xs2 for one summer, then I realized after about 5 times out I'm a adjuster. Also I had the remote PP, but I loved the fact all was light weight, and that was a 800 bbs coil. I ran all wires thru the shaft and ran a AMP (Afterburner) on it which gave me a few more inch's....the deepest I took it was maybe waist deep with waves around my chest and never felt like the Backpack was a issue.

Thanks Oldbeechnut! That's a nice set up you have in those pictures! This coil cable is pretty long, I will probably run it straight up on the outside of the shaft. I would like to take this mod further someday by maybe removing the electronics and into a waterproof box with external controls. But that won't be for a long time i think. .We shall see... I can't wait to try this setup out sometime this week for the first hunt of 2014!

Sweet set-up! I'll have to look into the larger box when it's time for me to do the same. Now if ARA would only hurry up and get my check out to me I could find a GT of my own to play with. Thanks for sharing.

Sweet set-up! I'll have to look into the larger box when it's time for me to do the same. Now if ARA would only hurry up and get my check out to me I could find a GT of my own to play with. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! Hopefully now i will start finding the good stuff to send to ARA! lol.
Glad my post will help you when the time comes for your project :)

As far as bobbing like a cork out there chest deep.... get a weight belt and just add 8lbs.

Big box.... but im and adjuster too Joe i like to get it right out there..... flying on the edge. Salt water and Sand is sticky stuff..... none the less id like to have the Sov out there. That big of box id be tempted to do a Max thing and put an SE in it. Chest deep..... those phones are going to get wet by spray alone. Even in the Gulf i get popped by waves constantly that deep. You may be messing up out that deep with regular phones that dont have drain plugs or silicone sealed speakers.

Great looking mod...... like you said easy to put together or take apart. Much better than my gallon baggie that just protects from the mist. Hey, but it does zip up and for the most part does what i need it to .... well as long as i dont drop the thing in the water but for a second.

Dew

Be wary of the latches as one of mine broke and I don't even know when or how it happened!! (My mod was with the smaller case and I hadn't even used it except on the beach and in ankle deep water.)

I think this is a weak link to possible serious problems with this design of case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as bobbing like a cork out there chest deep.... get a weight belt and just add 8lbs.

Big box.... but im and adjuster too Joe i like to get it right out there..... flying on the edge. Salt water and Sand is sticky stuff..... none the less id like to have the Sov out there. That big of box id be tempted to do a Max thing and put an SE in it. Chest deep..... those phones are going to get wet by spray alone. Even in the Gulf i get popped by waves constantly that deep. You may be messing up out that deep with regular phones that dont have drain plugs or silicone sealed speakers.

Great looking mod...... like you said easy to put together or take apart. Much better than my gallon baggie that just protects from the mist. Hey, but it does zip up and for the most part does what i need it to .... well as long as i dont drop the thing in the water but for a second.

Dew

I think my weight of 260 will counteract the bobbing like a cork lol. I do adjust from time to time and i dont see it taking me more than a minute or two if i need to make changes. I plan to replace the headphones with waterproof ones at some point. I am very weary of the waves when i am close to them. I too was using a ziplock bag for splash protection but considering the cost of this machine i decided to step up it's protection.

Back
Top Bottom