New member from Los Angeles

Cowman456

Hi Everyone!
My name is Samir. Currently living in Los Angeles.
I just bought a metal detector and some gear to try a new hobby. My main objective is to get out and see some new places. Not really expecting to find anything.
I think I can figure out the intricacies of my detector with practice, but I do have one question. Where can I actually go and detect in public without upsetting anyone? Can I just walk out to the curb and start? Or is that not legal? I tried googling but haven't really got a clear answer. Los Angeles can be a weird place with lots of different laws that can't be distinguished!
Anyway, great to be a new member, and hope to start a nice relaxing new hobby!

-Samir

Another warm welcome from the state of NC!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

Usually I might say public places as long as they don't have any "no metal detecting" signs or are protected historical sites, but it would be better to hear from other members who are more familiar with the restrictions you might have there in LA.

Of course there is private property too as long as you get permission from the property owner first.

Cowman456, welcome to the forum. The rates here for fellow CA hunters is reasonable: You send me 30% of all your finds (I accept paypal) :laughing:

I'm about 4+ hrs. north of Los Angeles, but know multiple hunters down that way. And there's not a single city or county in the entire So. CA area that I know of, that has any specific "no md'ing" rules for their parks. The guys I know down there simply go to any ones, without issue.

HOWEVER, you have to bear in mind that md'ing has ... uh .... "connotations". So just because their might not be any municipal codes specifically saying "no md'ing" doesn't mean someone still might gripe. Because of the mental image that you might be about to leave a hole , etc... So pick low traffic times and avoid such busy-bodies :) Presto, problem solved :)

As for state run parks inland: They're hit and miss: If they have a historical theme nature, then as GKL says, avoid those. But for run-of-the-mill other ones (ones that are not sensitive obvious monuments), I haven't had any trouble. The only thing that state of CA has that could be applied to the issue, is "cultural heritage" verbiage. Hence technically, so long as you're angling for new stuff (50 yrs. or less old) then you're outside those parameters. Thus the obvious reason to not snoop around historic themed parks of theirs.

For the CA state beaches, they're totally open. Technically cultural heritage would apply there too, but again, you're only finding new coins, right ? :roll: In my 40+ yrs. of this working state beaches, I've never once had anything said to me. Despite being in front of rangers all the time on the beaches. Thus I guess beaches here are "grandfathered in", and we just keep it that way and don't ask silly questions :)

As for federal parks down your way, it depends on which level/type. BLM and NFS land is good to go (so long as you're only hunting for new stuff). So the same logic as state land: Just don't be tromping on historic sensitive monuments (Bodie for example). NPS is supposedly a no-go, but not sure if there's even any of their parks down your way anyhow.

You can get more specific So. CA info on the Kinzli forum. That's specific to just CA, and several So. CA guys chime in there.

Good luck ! Post some good show & tell finds now :)

Thanks All!

Hi - Thanks All for your welcomes.

I kind of want to use metal detecting as a time to go out by myself and be secluded. (Sorry if that sounds weird, and of course I would love to do it with other people if I could find folks who were interested). Does anyone know if a place like Angeles Forest Park is ok? I camp up there a lot but can't figure out if I can take the detector. I'm not looking for anything in particular, and if I found anything historic I would gladly give it to someone who knew what it was about. Just looking to walk around new areas and hang out.

-Samir

Also

Also thanks Tom_in_CA for the info. I'm still trying to figure out how to use this board.

....Does anyone know if a place like Angeles Forest Park is ok? ....

That is NFS (national forest service) land. And as such: NFS is not dis-allowed. The only thing that would apply is cultural heritage verbiage. So .... just don't find old stuff (how good is your math skills after all? :roll: )

And, of course, if there's a particular obvious historic sensitive monument in whatever part of the NFS you're heading to, don't be snooping around that when bored archie rangers are there. But for just run-of-mill campgrounds, swim beaches, etc... with NFS, it's not-disallowed.

Don't over think this :) Just go. Avoid obvious historic monuments, and that alone suffices most all of this issue :)

Hey! Thanks Everyone!

So I finally took my detector out. Here is my first 20 minutes of digging in my cousin's yard! LOL! I'm into it and can't wait to find some new spots.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.JPG
    IMG_2863.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom