Newcomer here from Eastern Oregon, w cool find

matt93

Buckle1.jpg

Hello folks!
New to the forum, fairly green at detecting, but having fun learning!
I live in Eastern Oregon, and the house I live in was constructed in the 60's, after a fire destroyed the original house that was, to the best of my knowledge, built in the late 1800's.
Have found mostly junk, but came across this particular item of interest, which is silver...Im curious if any of you experts have any idea what it might be. What limited info I've been able to come up with would suggest a man's stock buckle...have also found some vintage Winchester rifle casings, (.38-56 and .32-40)
No coins yet, but feel like I'm close!

btw I use an AT Pro...found these among the junk with a sniper coil, but the thing has very little depth so thinking about buying the 5x8 coil, which I would appreciate any advice on this too...
Thanks and looking forward to being a part of the family!
Matt

Last edited:
Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

My guess would be a belt buckle also.

The closest thing I could find doing a quick search online was this 3 prong buckle listed as being from the 1960's -

3pbuckle.jpg

Thank You, Gary!
At first I thought belt buckle too but it's so flimsy, I don't think it would hold up as an actual belt buckle...it's almost decorative or something. Plus it's very small (notice the relationship to my wedding band). It's tarnished and I haven't had the chance to really clean it up yet, but it's got lots of character the way it is.) :grin:

Last edited:
Thank You, Gary!
At first I thought belt buckle too but it's so flimsy, I don't think it would hold up as an actual belt buckle...it's almost decorative or something. Plus it's very small (notice the relationship to my wedding band). It's tarnished and I haven't had the chance to really clean it up yet, but it's got lots of character the way it is.) :grin:

Hey Matt !

Maybe a small child's buckle, unless it is too flimsy even for that, otherwise perhaps a buckle for a doll ?

Whatever it is, it does indeed look neat ! :D

Just did another search before posting this reply and found another (somewhat) similar buckle that might be the answer to what you have, I found it on a web site for 18th century reproductions.

(you said "stock buckle" in your original post, but I was not familiar with what specifically was meant by "stock" in relation to buckle)

http://smilingfoxforgellc.com/details.asp?id=254

The description on the above link says:

This is an 18th century Reproduction stock buckle. The buckle was made from an original three prong stock buckle, however the original was made in silver. We have made this buckle in white bronze to keep the cost down. White bronze looks much like silver and has more strength than silver. The buckle was used with a linen or horse hair stock and was worn around the neck, under your shirt collar. We own a mold that the orginal buckle was used to make this buckle. You can see that the buckle has some fine decorative carvings in the ring. This buckle measures 1 5/8" x 1" on the outside of the ring, the inside measurement is 1 1/4". The buckle is suitable for mid 18th century use.

3_prong.jpg

That looks exactly like the website that I visited. There are some other searches that come up too, mostly Victorian but some even Revolutionary period buckles for the collars that men wore around their necks. We have nothing out west that's even close to Revolutionary time period, but it could very well be around 1880's-1890's which would coincide with the spent rifle casings that I found. Here's to hoping, and probably a mystery that will never be completely solved. Thank you for taking the time to check that out for me!

That looks exactly like the website that I visited. There are some other searches that come up too, mostly Victorian but some even Revolutionary period buckles for the collars that men wore around their necks. We have nothing out west that's even close to Revolutionary time period, but it could very well be around 1880's-1890's which would coincide with the spent rifle casings that I found. Here's to hoping, and probably a mystery that will never be completely solved. Thank you for taking the time to check that out for me!

No problem, I like a challenge to try to ID stuff, and occasionally it can be challenging (but fun) ! :lol:

Keep looking though, you might eventually find that specific design somewhere online.

Last edited:
Matt93, welcome to the forum.

GKL has given great inputs so far. I would just add that those buckles turn up at sites dating to the 1860s to 1880-ish. We just lump them all into a broad category and call them "suspender buckles". But they could be for garters or whatever. Sometimes they even have patent dates on them.

Matt93, welcome to the forum.

GKL has given great inputs so far. I would just add that those buckles turn up at sites dating to the 1860s to 1880-ish. We just lump them all into a broad category and call them "suspender buckles". But they could be for garters or whatever. Sometimes they even have patent dates on them.

Thanks, Tom!

I did find an actual suspender buckle as well, but it's not made out of silver, it appears to be maybe brass? I couldn't find any dates or any writing at all for that matter, but I haven't completely cleaned it yet either. I feel very confident that it is silver. Knowing a little about the folks that homesteaded this place has them of German immigration, and they didn't have lots of money, so maybe this item was something that was an heirloom of sorts? Lots of mystery which lends itself to speculation which is part of the fun. Thank you for your information :D

Matt

Back
Top Bottom