CTX 3030 vs Minelab Etrac

beephead

Elite Member
I swung both of them today over some test targets and each had a smaller search coil attached. Both were set up with open screens. The only difference was the CTX was set up to high tone on a nickel which is nice. I'm getting the bug. I'm also thinking about a CZ5. Any advice is welcome.

beephead

Lol I say get the CZ 5 for now and wait for me to get there so you can really see the CTX up against your current machines for coin shooting. CZ5 would be good for your trip to texas soon also at the beach. Etrac is nice has a tone of aftermarket coils available but is really nose heavy. Ctx us just way more machine and balances better and I have found I really don't need more than the stock and 6in coils for the CTX.

Thanks! Too late for the CZ5 this trip. Maybe next trip we can all get together and stay at my sister's beach home in Galveston. Rusty Henry might be able to make the trip and teach us how to properly metal detect on the beach and in the water. Now that would be fun since we'd have one of the best teachers in the world teaching us. It doesn't get much better than that.

beephead

From a finds perspective.
On average,,a user who know how to run,,can take Etrac with stock coil,,and 6x8" sef coil and find everything a CTXer will find with stock coil.

Small coil performance,,,matched up here,,CTX has edge.

Hunting speed,, not a Deus here by no means,,for either ones.

CTX is a better nickel getter vs Etrac,,,and is a little hotter on lower conductors.

ID on Etrac IMO more accurate point for point on coins, vs CTX.

Reliability goes to Etrac.

Waterproof,,yes the CTX,,a person can hunt on drizzle days,,or get away from house,,auto on threatening weather days.

Iron,,,when it thick,,got to go slow,,and even by doing this,,,just some targets using either will ever alert user too,,no matter what reasonable settings.

They are good coin hunters,,but I feel hard to use one and hunt behind say a park that has been pounded by either Etrac and CTX users,,,one reason why,,they are so easy to use and get the most out of depth wise compared to many others.
I still have CTX,,Imuse occassionally.

What kind of metal detectorist are you,?
If you like limited digging,,basing your decision mostly on meter,,either one will do.
But I warn folks,,,by doing this some nice finds are slipping by.

If you like more suspense when digging targets,,,a lot of others will do,,like F75, Deus, Racers, At Pro, etc.

One thing is,,,you have to have sites to use,,they are not cheap,,,and dpending on the site,,can be very trying on your patience moreso than some others.

Beware of buying used CTXs,,,if they have been exposed to salt water,,I wouldn't buy period.
Etrac IMO a safer unit to buy used.

Hope all this helps.
I would never feel outgunned if you give me a Etrac,,and matched me up against a CTX runner.
Both very good units,,and have both found their fair share of coinage.

Both great detectors. Two of the best available for coin hunters in my opinion.

CTX biggest advantages are (IMHO):

1) Hunting in heavy iron. CTX has an edge due to combined mode which is like TTF on steroids. Also more separation choices and slightly faster recovery speed.

2) waterproof.

3) Better balanced. As mentioned above, Etrac is nose heavy. CTX is still on the heavy side but with the straight shaft and battery situated under the elbow it doesn't cause arm fatigue nearly as quickly.

4) Trigger style pinpoint. This may not be a big deal to others but it was a big improvement for me.

5) Target Trace. A very useful tool for picking out good targets mixed with junk/iron. This is probably my favorite new feature vs the Etrac.

6) CTX TID is more accurate IMO.

Both machines are very deep seekers with minimal set up. They can both nail deep silvers like no other.

Neither is known for super fast recovery speed and both require a slow sweep. Slow and low is key. Both are still very good at picking coins from junk with the proper pattern. Search for threads by Khouse to see examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cz3d is my favorite over the 5,6 that I owned. Still have the 3D, it is my second go to machine with 5 in coil behind my ctx with 6 in coil when just looking for coins only. I hunt trashy sites mainly. When set up properly imo it cannot be beat for pulling coins out of trash. Currently working a 1932 home with ctx and 6 in coil , it has been hit hard by others. I have not found one clad coin so far , all my finds have been older coins with trash in the hole with targets. And none of them obvious dig me signals. Sold my first two ctx machines in frustration as I did not miraculously pull great finds behind where others have hunted, but now I would not sell it.

If CTX user sweeps 100 dimes,,50 clad and 50 silver at 8" deep wearing stock coil.
Etrac user sweeps these same dimes with Etrac wearing stock coil.

Each user of detector calls them for what they are clad or silver.

Etrac will win percentage wise on calling the 50 silver dimes silver.

Part of this has to do with using ferrous coin process on CTX,,more filtering to keep ferrous number closer to 12 line.

Been there and done this.

Easer to trip CTX up between copper wheats and silver dimes too vs Etrac.

If CTX user sweeps 100 dimes,,50 clad and 50 silver at 8" deep wearing stock coil.

Etrac user sweeps these same dimes with Etrac wearing stock coil.

Each user of detector calls them for what they are clad or silver.

Etrac will win percentage wise on calling the 50 silver dimes silver.

Part of this has to do with using ferrous coin process on CTX,,more filtering to keep ferrous number closer to 12 line.

Been there and done this.

Easer to trip CTX up between copper wheats and silver dimes too vs Etrac.

All of the above is true if comparing Etrac with High Trash separation to CTX in Ferrous-Coin.. But put the CTX in High Trash mode and I honestly can't tell any difference in TID. If anything, CTX TID seems more stable. When silver is under the coil, FE numbers still tend to jump back and forth from 12 to 13 just like the Etrac. Tone wise, I love the flutey sounds of the Etrac. I like the ability to raise the pitch in multi tone conductive too. Some people say they can tell the difference between a clad dime and a silver one by tone alone with the Etrac. I can't. If it's deep and the numbers look good, I'm digging.

Last edited:
All of the above is true if comparing Etrac with High Trash separation to CTX in Ferrous-Coin.. But put the CTX in High Trash mode and I honestly can't tell any difference in TID. If anything, CTX TID seems more stable. When silver is under the coil, CO numbers still tend to jump back and forth from 12 to 13 just like the Etrac. Tone wise, I love the flutey sounds of the Etrac. I like the ability to raise the pitch in multi tone conductive too. Some people say they can tell the difference between a clad dime and a silver one by tone alone with the Etrac. I can't. If it's deep and the numbers look good, I'm digging.

I always did better calling targets with Etrac,,,I saw fewer 12-44s on Etrac,,vs CTX.
12-43,, on CTX could be silver dime or clad.
CTX does run more stable site for site especially in auto plus 3 sens.
Never did see a 29 in etrac's window running auto plus 3,,,seen it s lot with CTX,,even a few 30s.
Like them both,,would like both better if they were a pound lighter.

Of course I could have my wires crossed,,,CTX may be seeing coin condition better than Etrac,,,and this is showing up in TID. But Inalways inspected the coins dug with CTX,,and didn't see a pattern here.

Listening Minelab??

Maybe some of the machines are different, when i first moved to ctx i used to get excited when i saw a 12-42 or 43 thinking it might be silver like it sometimes was on my etrac. But i can honestly say 95 percent of the time it takes a 12-44 or 13-44 before i have a silver dime with my ctx and sometimes a 45. Could be my soil here too not sure. 12-42-43 is almost always clad dime.

Etrac felt like it weighs a ton to me and nose heavy, the ctx for me is very balanced. I use the arm strap and let the weight ride on it, then i do not grip the handle only form a C with my fingers and let it rest on top of my hand. I have hunted 9 hours plus at several group hunts with it and was not even tired. Kinda like a grip you use for bow hunting, not letting the bow fall but not gripping it either to throw your arrow off when fired.

The availability of search coils for the etrac vs CTX 3030? I like the little 6 inch search coils, but I'd prefer something more like the NEL Sharpshooter size search coil if it didn't add anymore weight.

beephead

I had a detech 6 x 8 sef for my SE Pro that is a lot lime the Etrac weight wise that worked extremely well. You can get the sharpshooter for the Explorer/etrac series but I felt the 6 x 8 sef was a better coil. I have one on my mxt pro that never comes off.

A good used Etrac,,,with a stock coil and a 6" coil,,,good combo.
I loved the 6x8 sef coil in house sites.
But even a 6" coil will see some things the 6x8" won't.

Mid to higher conductors these above will find,,,mid depth and deeper lower conductors would be what could be missed.

What makes fbs/fbs2 units more deadly (based on their slower/poor recovery speed),,using one of them,,is almost like (so close) to walking around in all metal,,but with extreme ID capability on nonferrous.

Can hover coil practically and get near to peak depth.

Try this with some other Vlf models,,,depth of detection crippled.
Remember the xlt White's,,,try this using one of those.

It takes time hunting heavy iron using fbs and fbs2,,more time with fbs vs fvs2 unit,,,but being more restricted for coils sizes for CTX,,,some separation and unmasking can be gotten back using fbs units with smaller than stock coils,and bigger than 6" coils.

Etrac and other fbs units,,,if we gave all fbs and fbs 2 runners a fbs or fvs2 detector and told them to tape up their screens,,and hunt a park,,or anywhere,,goal to dig the copper and silver,,,and we let other folks try this using other Vlf detectors(covering the screen),,, big advantage here for fbs users.

Even an Etrac withot a meter,,Inwould consider deadly as long as I can have threshold,pitch and variability set up correctly.
Even the old explorer XS detectors.

I am going to add something here.
Lot of complaints on the nose heavy Etrac here
and there has been for years.

Something I did was very simple. If you are using a pinpointer, dont wear
it on the hip in a holster. Instead mount the holster under the armrest of the Etrac. As close to the battery entrance as possible.

I had a complete cover on the Etrac and just wrapped tape on the holster and around the covered Etrac, then put the armrest back on.

This helped tremendously.... Tell you what do it this way, for a few months and then take it off.... the front end will feel even heavier.

I know this has been said before and just thought Id say it again.

Dumb

Etrac user here for 3 years now. I am satisfied with what I have, and i have confidence if its in the ground, I can find it if my coil goes over it. If you are a coinshooter, either would be a great choice. If i did ever upgrade with what's on the market right now, it would be a ctx. I have owned other brands and nothing is easier to find coins with once you learn it.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I went from the etrac to the 3030, both great machines, but the 3030 is a more stable machine on target IDs especially in trashy areas, both great machines for sure!

I am running the 6 in coil on my ctx at the 1932 home and i use a sampson shovel that i measured to the tip is 7 inches, some of my finds where deeper and i used i my hand digger as the targets where a bit deeper,,, not much but i know one was at least an inch deeper putting it at 8 inches.. That is pretty good for a 6 in coil. i was running manual sens 26. Like Digstomuchtrash said below i find no need for anything other than my stock and 6 in coils. But i do not hunt open fields for civil war relics either. But honestly used Etracs are plentiful and so are the coils for them and you may not like FBS machines in the end and you would have saved a lot of money by trying the etrac. And i did not find it hard to move from etrac to ctx so you could always get one later. But weight wise i did find the ctx much easier to swing for hours on end without tiring me out, if that might be an issue for you. With your uncanny ability to get those awesome permissions you will kill it with either one and i enjoy your posts and finds so keep them coming i wanna see what you find either way!!!

The availability of search coils for the etrac vs CTX 3030? I like the little 6 inch search coils, but I'd prefer something more like the NEL Sharpshooter size search coil if it didn't add anymore weight.

beephead

G Beeps, you can get a Nel sharp shooter for a Etrac.I bet the heavy cable will be a treat to thread up through but I can't believe you haven't already had these machines ? You've been slacking as they have been around for more than a decade.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom