Update On Me! Sick!

Pennyfinder

Elite Member
Frustrated. Have an app't to see my doctor here next week (Mar 7) BUT my cold or whatever it is got worse during the night to the point I THOUGHT I was having a heart attack but it subsided and I sat up from 2 am to 5 am and waited till my doctor's office opened at 8am (slept a little till then). They happened to have a cancellation and said come on in. I did. Well I got worse at the office but she assured me it WAS NOT A HEART ATTACK! But she called an ambulance and sent me to the hospital. She told me that if I went home and didn't improve she would put me in the hospital. So I went along with her plan. In the ER they promptly put me on the heart monitor and I guess got an EKG. I don't know for sure. They took 8 tubes of blood and some urine. The nurse asked for a urine sample and I told her "I gave at the office!" (That didn't phase her she just brought me ice water for me to drink and said she would check on me in about a half hour). And a doctor came in and gave me a breathing treatment (but not before they took me to get a chest X-ray. I got an antibiotic shot at the doctor's office and then the ambulance attendant started the IV (but did not hook a bag up). She gave me a steroid shot through the IV tube --- as did the ER attendant (nurse) when I was placed in an ER room (swinging from the trees wheeeeeeeeeee)! Later (2 hours maybe) I got the results of my x-ray and the blood work --- BOTH NORMAL! YEAH! I was tested for flu and strep at the doctor's office and at the ER. Doctor's office said no flu but tested POSITIVE for STREP. ER said no flu and NO STREP and NO PNEUMONIA. I was released with no way to get home -- truck was still at the doctor's office. So I called the doctor's office and told them I was free to go! THEY WERE SHOCKED! Two nurses from the doctor's office came to get me and took me back to the office so I could get my truck! YES! I DROVE MYSELF HOME! I told the nurses if you have a police scanner listen to see if the cops pull a senior woman over for driving under the influence of medication because I was certainly higher than I kite. BUT I DID MAKE IT HOME! And I have had my very strong antibiotic from MY doctor and the inhaler from the ER doctor plus a cough drop from Dollar General! I hope this all makes sense -- 'cause I am definitely WOOZY! You might get abit angry reading but maybe you might get a laugh out of it. :laughing: But I'm still not happy about the whole ordeal! If the situation does not improve in a couple days I am to go back to MY doctor at which time she will try, I'm sure, to get admitted to the hospital! I don't know. Sheesh!

Wow ,sorry to hear your having such a problem. Never heard of treatment being given with out a clue about your illness . Best wish's for your recovery , try to have someone go with you should need you go back . We always go to appointments together , one person needs to ask the questions and especially to drive . Sucks that they let you drive , that should never happen .
Keep us up to date , and take very good care of yourself .

Hope you feel better soon !

......sometimes with medical places you got to keep letting them know when something isn't right and not resolved.

......like the old saying goes "the squeaky wheel gets the oil"

If they don't hear from you they'll likely assume you're better.

Pennyfinder, I hope you start feeling better soon too...

I'm heading back to the hospital soon for a reversal of my ostomy. I'm hoping you don't have to go back.

Best Wishes & God Bless

HDD

Sometimes I think doctors have no clue what they are doing. That's why they call it "practicing" medicine.

I really believe it's about communication though. They can't figure out what's wrong if you can't accurately describe what you are feeling. My step-son is a doctor and I drive him nuts trying to figure out what's wrong with me. My wife calls him and starts telling him I'm sick. I never wanted her to call in the first place. Then when she can't answer all of his questions she puts me on the phone. He starts asking questions:

Step-son/Doc: Do you feel tired?

Me: Heck yes I feel tired. I worked all day and I'm sick.

Step-son/Doc: Do you have a headache?

Me: I didn't a while ago but I kind of do now. But I'm not sure if it's because I'm sick or because your mom is pestering me.

Step-son/Doc: How about your stomach?

Me: What about it?

Step-son/Doc: Is it bothering you?

Me: well, yes, but I've been doing some sit-ups to try to reduce it some?

Step-son/Doc: You were doing sit-ups to reduce the pain in your stomach?

Me: No, I've been doing sit-ups over the past month to reduce the size of my stomach. That's what bothers me about it. It's too big.

Step-son/Doc: But you're not feeling well?

Me: I feel like !!!!.

Step-son/Doc: Does it hurt when you pee? Or have you had Diarrhea?

Me: I know you're a doctor, I was at your medical school graduation. But you're still little Tyler to me and I'm not comfortable talking about my excremental fluid (or semi-fluids) with you.

Step-son/Doc: Do you think it would help if I came over?

Note: The thought of having him come over appeals to me only in that I can have a modern doctor make a house call.

Me: What for?

Step-son/Doc: To examine you.

Me: No.

Step-son/Doc: Then why are we having this conversation?

Me: You have to ask your mother that question. Hear you go. (hand phone back to wife).

I realize I was being difficult but it really shows that doctors can't do anything for you if you don't tell them what's really going on.

Had a good night's sleep Monday night because of all the EXTRA meds in me. But last night was the same as usual -- couple hours and woke up coughing severely so I'm not improved. I would go to the doctor's office again today BUT we are under a severe thunderstorm warning till 8 am and a tornado watch until 10 am. They are saying another round will be following this storm around noon! GREAT! Weatherman said temps in the low 70's today (67 right now at 6:30 am). A cold front is coming in that will cause this bad weather. The wind has already started blowing -- no rain yet.

I've been awake since just after 1 am. Going to try and catch a little sleep before the storms hit. Probably won't get any sleep but I can try! Either the storms will keep me from sleeping or the coughing will start again. :roll::(

Feeling some better. Resting better at night. So maybe I'm on the mend. Still coughing some but not as severe. I think I'm gonna make it.

Back
Top Bottom