Anyone else do any meat/food smokin'?

mpgandfun

The unseasonably warm weather has me perusing the cuts of meat at the local grocery store. I do grill on milder days in winter, but I do most of my grillin' & smokin' when there's no snow on the ground. Here's a little bit of my stuff; some Lake Michigan salmon & my 6 lb. meatloaf.

Attachments

• 20160818_164356.jpg
    20160818_164356.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 20160706_201418.jpg
    20160706_201418.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 357
  • 20160706_201723.jpg
    20160706_201723.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Man, that is looking GREAT! Good on you for the pics! I know JohnEdmonton makes smoked jerky and even cheese usually in the Winter up in Canada...

I love smoking and, like with you, it is usually a warm weather activity for me. Your Salmon looks great and something I want to try this summer. Really interested in trying cold smoking.

That looks great! I love smoking meat. My favorite is salmon, also do lots of steelhead trout. It's a bit more oily than the salmon, therefore more forgiving! Harder to over do! PM me if you want my wicked good recipe.

It's awfully hard to beat a good steak smoked with hickory after searing...

<°)))>{

Used to do a little with Tuna and yellowtail down here in San Diego. Looks good......

I smoke meats. Nothing like a sloooooow cooked/smoked brisket or pork butt.

I make my own rubs and bbq sauces.

I smoke the brisket 3/4 hickory 1/4 cherry.

I smoke the pork butt with apple wood.

I don't have a smoker, so I do it the hard way. Indirect heat on my charcoal grill. It isn't easy keeping a constant temp. It is an all day affair.

WOW....does that smoked salmon ever look GOOD :shock:

I do some smoking but I normally have to settle for smoking chicken or turkey , once in a while a brisket. My all time favorite is smoked fish , salmon being the best , but its hard to find around me.....I can buy little low quality pieces at the grocery store , or fillets in the meat section but its expensive to buy it that way. Wal mart used to sell frozen whole chum salmon certain times of the year , and they were pretty good smoked , but I guess they stopped carrying those salmon since I haven't seen any in a long time.

Smoked salmon is awesome but like Ohiochris noted, quality fresh salmon is just not available in my area. Ham, pork shoulder, pork loin, turkey, cheese and my favorite, Kielbasa sausage, are what I usually smoke. I love brisket but smoking it is an art unto itself. Sometimes tender, sometimes tough.

My favorite woods are apple, pecan and cherry. I like apple for ham and pork loin, cherry for pork shoulder, pecan for turkey and anything is good for the sausage. The milder flavor of the pecan is in my opinion the wood of choice for brisket. I have to be careful using hickory because I think it is easy to overdo the smoke flavor due to the amount of time needed to truly slow smoke meat. The stronger flavored woods can be used if the cooking time is split between the smoker and an oven, like many barbeque joints do.

I make my own rub based on the rub recipe developed by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. BTW, the event rules developed by the KSBS are the rules most barbeque cookoffs around the county use.

Their recipe is:
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup seasoned salt
1/4 cup smoked salt (your own or a commercial brand)
1/4 cup onion salt
1/4 cup celery salt
2 tblsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tblsp pure chili powder (not a blend)
2 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

Makes about 2.5 cups of rub. Will keep for several months. Quite honestly I usually do not have all of the ingredients available so I use what I have on hand. That is my version of this rub. To use it I slather the meat in yellow mustard and liberally apply the rub.

This thread makes me want to fire up the smoker and break out some home brew beers.

I make lots do summer sausage, snack sticks, jerky, Canadian bacon and bacon and smoked cheese.

have made pepperoni and salami and ham.

Mostly cold smoking.

Back
Top Bottom