Fob with enamel

IowaChris

I found this fob which has what I think is some enamel accents on it. I'd like to try electrolysis on it because there are some crusty spots right on the words. I'm pretty sure his chest says old style lager but it's pretty well corroded. My question is will the electrolysis harm the enamel. Anyone ever tried cleaning something like this?

Attachments

• 2016-07-19 18.46.13.jpg
    2016-07-19 18.46.13.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 2016-07-19 18.46.39.jpg
    2016-07-19 18.46.39.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 256
its definitely a fob. too small to open a bottle, unless there are pop tops on the bottles in the mini bar! also, its made of brass. it had a slight bend to it when i found it, which i was easily able to straighten by hand. I found one hit on google that says its nickel coated brass with enamel inserts, made in approximately 1910. So besides the enamel, would electrolysis damage whats left of the nickel coating?

Great and uncommon find either way! I like finds like that, that are different. Post pics when it's cleaned up!

Im unsure about the enamel and electrolysis though...

Technically, electrolysis removes everything that isn't metal. I've never zapped something like that, but I'm thinking the crud would come off first. If it were mine, I would get it bubbling and keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom