Is there any hope?????

JNimons

Forum Supporter
Dug this Saturday...Was hopefull when it was coming out of the hole, because there is a lot of meat on it. I was able to tooth pick the reverse enough to identify it as a Draped Bust by the wreath....I really would love to get a date off of it. Any ideas???, or is it hopeless?

I believe you dug a LC. I believe I can see "One Cent" on the first picture.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure you will get a date off of it but, maybe some else knows of a way.

Great find though!!

Congrats on the great coin. I don't know if its possible to clean it any better than you already have.

As the copper corrodes in the ground, it forms that greenish layer called patina. Some times its very smooth and shows great detail of the coin. Sometimes its rough (like yours) and hides the detail. Regardless of which type you have, it is a terrible idea to try to remove it. Because that surface layer is corrosion, if it's removed, all you have left underneath is an ugly, pitted, unidentifiable copper disc.

I would "cook" it in some melted parafin for a while. The heat will drive out any remaining moisture and the wax will seal it. Just knock off the extra dried wax and rub it with a cloth to polish. You may get a little more detail that way too.

Back
Top Bottom