Clad Clean-Up (follow-up)

Reef Runner

Forum Supporter
After several unsuccessful attempts to clean up my clad with beach sand, I finally found some "natural" aquarium gravel (Wally World), and have been more than extremely pleased with the results. My clad comes out looking new, as well as those nasty coppers ! I just ran a handful this weekend, that I picked up on a local school yard, all which was black and practically un-readable. I rinsed it all off, then put it in the tumbler overnight, and voila - everything came out the next morning, looking like new money.

My recipe, which is a combination of suggestions (found here on FMD) is as follows (thanks everyone) !

In a 3 pound tumbler tub, I add:

1/2 cup of natural aquarium gravel
2 - 3 drops of Dawn dish washing liquid
2 tablespoons of ammonia
1 handful of clad (1/4 to 1/3 cup)
Water enough to cover the mixture by about 1/2"
Tumble overnight

Note: After filling, I do weigh my tubs, just to make sure they are not overloaded (s/b be 3 lbs or less per tub / yours may be different). I use a Lortone 33-B double tub tumbler, so there's one 3 lb tub for the copper, and one for the clad. ;)

Once the run is complete, I dump the tub, gravel, liquid, and coins, into a large plastic coffee can (Folgers I think), in which I have cut 1/2 holes in the bottom. While holding the can directly over an old window screen, I simply spray the water hose into the can, while swirling the contents around, allowing the gravel to fall out onto the screen, leaving nothing but the cleaned coins in the can. I then dump the coins on a towel, and set everything else out in the sun to dry, and done. Once the gravel dries, I put it right back into the appropriate tub, ready for the next run..........:good:

Typical Clad BEFORE tumbling
Before 1.jpg
Before 2.JPG

Typical Clad & Coppers AFTER tumbling
After 1.jpg
After 2.jpg
After 5.jpg
After 6.jpg
After 8.jpg

Last edited:
Guess I need to add ammonia to mine. That's the only thing different from your method and mine don't come out nearly that nice.

Those look really good!

Those are some pretty good looking results! I've only seen similar from people using conklin's cleaning gel and ammonia is much, much cheaper.

Guess I need to add ammonia to mine. That's the only thing different from your method and mine don't come out nearly that nice.

Those look really good!

Thanks.........I forgot who mentioned the use of ammonia, but I've been very pleased with the results so far. I think the person that mentioned using ammonia, was also using beach sand, as was I. So I added a little ammonia, but I didn't get any decent results. Then I finally found some natural aquarium gravel, and I was shocked at the results. I think that the other beach sand, must have been much coarser than what I was using. Mine was super fine.

Gravel & Ammonia

Those are some pretty good looking results! I've only seen similar from people using conklin's cleaning gel and ammonia is much, much cheaper.

Thanks again..............as I mentioned, I was shocked. I don't know if it was the gravel or the ammonia, but either way, I'm happy

Then I finally found some natural aquarium gravel, and I was shocked at the results. I think that the other beach sand, must have been much coarser than what I was using. Mine was super fine.

I guess that's the other difference. Mine is the course, white aquarium gravel from Wally World. I'll look around for natural aquarium gravel.

Same Gravel, just no coloring !

I guess that's the other difference. Mine is the course, white aquarium gravel from Wally World. I'll look around for natural aquarium gravel.

I think that it's all the same gravel, so far as consistency, but I read somewhere not to use the colored gravel, because it was coated with dye, or color of some sort. I suppose if you had to use one of the colored gravels, white would be the best of the lot. My local Wally World, was just out of the natural, so I picked some up at another Wally store..........very same stuff, just no coloring.......

Last edited:
Those are excellent results!

I do the same minus the ammonia.

Guess what I'll be adding to the next batch of clad I clean. :yes:

Lortone 33B

anyone have any info on a decent tumbler on ebay or amazon ??

I got mine from Home Science Tools [ http://www.hometrainingtools.com/lortone-33b-double-barrel-rock-tumbler ]. It's a Lortone 33B Double Barrel tumbler. Works great, and allows you to tumble clad in one, while tumbling coppers in the other. Of course, there's lots of other things that you can use the tumbler for.

I'm sure that lots of the Metal Detector vendors, who are sponsors, here on FMD, likewise have them. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this when I purchased mine.

Tumbling some clad now using the OP's formula. We'll see how they come out later tonight.

My tumbler is the dual drum Harbor Freight version. I have one of their stores close by so if I get a dud item from there, it's no problem to return it.

After several unsuccessful attempts to clean up my clad with beach sand, I finally found some "natural" aquarium gravel (Wally World), and have been more than extremely pleased with the results. My clad comes out looking new, as well as those nasty coppers ! I just ran a handful this weekend, that I picked up on a local school yard, all which was black and practically un-readable. I rinsed it all off, then put it in the tumbler overnight, and voila - everything came out the next morning, looking like new money.

My recipe, which is a combination of suggestions (found here on FMD) is as follows (thanks everyone) !

In a 3 pound tumbler tub, I add:

1/2 cup of natural aquarium gravel
2 - 3 drops of Dawn dish washing liquid
2 tablespoons of ammonia
1 handful of clad (1/4 to 1/3 cup)
Water enough to cover the mixture by about 1/2"
Tumble overnight

Note: After filling, I do weigh my tubs, just to make sure they are not overloaded (s/b be 3 lbs or less per tub / yours may be different). I use a Lortone 33-B double tub tumbler, so there's one 3 lb tub for the copper, and one for the clad. ;)

Once the run is complete, I dump the tub, gravel, liquid, and coins, into a large plastic coffee can (Folgers I think), in which I have cut 1/2 holes in the bottom. While holding the can directly over an old window screen, I simply spray the water hose into the can, while swirling the contents around, allowing the gravel to fall out onto the screen, leaving nothing but the cleaned coins in the can. I then dump the coins on a towel, and set everything else out in the sun to dry, and done. Once the gravel dries, I put it right back into the appropriate tub, ready for the next run..........:good:

Typical Clad BEFORE tumbling
View attachment 329633
View attachment 329634

Typical Clad & Coppers AFTER tumbling
View attachment 329635
View attachment 329636
View attachment 329637
View attachment 329638
View attachment 329639

WOW!!! HUGELY IMPRESSIVE RESULTS!!!
Bookmarked this post!!,
Now I need to swing and get tumbler material!!

Tumbling some clad now using the OP's formula. We'll see how they come out later tonight.

My tumbler is the dual drum Harbor Freight version. I have one of their stores close by so if I get a dud item from there, it's no problem to return it.

Just follow the directions (ingrediants/time), and you should get the same results...........good luck ;)

OH, AND NEED TO SEE PICS.........

Very cool. I have some deeply stained red nickels and such from our clay composition in the ground. I wonder if this will work.

I use white gravel myself and it doesn't make a difference. The coloring does eventually come off after several uses. I will give the ammonia a shot.

Have you tried this on cookie coins from the beach????

Cookie Coins

Very cool. I have some deeply stained red nickels and such from our clay composition in the ground. I wonder if this will work.

I use white gravel myself and it doesn't make a difference. The coloring does eventually come off after several uses. I will give the ammonia a shot.

Have you tried this on cookie coins from the beach????

Not sure what "cookie coins" means (I kinda new at this), but yes, I have used this method to clean up clad that I found at the beach, and I can't tell any difference in that, and the coins that I find at home.

I hope this is what you meant ? :?:

Back
Top Bottom