• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Starting to value on the right foot... equipment

FoilMeOnce

Hi!

Im looking for info on equipment to start valuing mostly jewelry. Things I've thought of were a scale, acid test kit, and diamond tester. What equipment do you use, what other steps do you take, and what else would you recommend?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Counterfeit metals. I recommend an XRF analyzer. All the top buyers use one. They aren’t cheap starting at several thousand.

Last edited:
Diamond testers will call some stones that are not diamonds as being real diamonds. I Found a beautiful 14k ring with a very nice size main stone that tested as a diamond on my machine. Took it to a jewelry store and the young lady tested it and proclaimed it to be a diamond of very good quality.

I was in another state and had a jeweler look at it. He studied it, tested it, studied it some more and then tested it for Mossianite. And it tested positive. I later had a gia gemologist check it and she said Mossianite.

If you dont have one a decent loupe is invaluable especially when looking for a halmark in a worn ring.

Diamond testers will call some stones that are not diamonds as being real diamonds. I Found a beautiful 14k ring with a very nice size main stone that tested as a diamond on my machine. Took it to a jewelry store and the young lady tested it and proclaimed it to be a diamond of very good quality.

I was in another state and had a jeweler look at it. He studied it, tested it, studied it some more and then tested it for Mossianite. And it tested positive. I later had a gia gemologist check it and she said Mossianite.

If you dont have one a decent loupe is invaluable especially when looking for a halmark in a worn ring.

I'd take it back to that first jewelry store and sell it :)

Not really...I still have to look myself in the mirror in the morning.

I second having a loupe...it's great for out in the field to check dates on coins and hallmarks on jewelry.

Back
Top Bottom