1 silver quarter day

2108silver1

Went to a town to do some door knocking near me never hunted there. First door knock was told no they dontv
allow they don't allow detecting any longer. I said understand but was curious had people hunted there in the past. Was figuring maybe I could get some useful info. Then the guy said. Why should I allow you on my property to look for old coins and then I don't get any of them. I politely said thank and have a great day. I guess he must have some anger over something in the past . went on meet some really nice people door knocking and found a near mint 1964 silver quarter of was a good day.

Always nice to find a Silver Quarter, and a 1964... you robbed the cradle on that one with the last year of silver, hope there are many more for you!

Thanks

Yes it was a good find. Its in the same block I found my barber quarter a few weeks back.

Went to a town to do some door knocking near me never hunted there. First door knock was told no they dontv
allow they don't allow detecting any longer. I said understand but was curious had people hunted there in the past. Was figuring maybe I could get some useful info. Then the guy said. Why should I allow you on my property to look for old coins and then I don't get any of them. I politely said thank and have a great day. I guess he must have some anger over something in the past . went on meet some really nice people door knocking and found a near mint 1964 silver quarter of was a good day.

You have to admit he does have a point . It's good to hear you ran into a generous person and you found a silver Quarter . Congrats and good luck on your future door knocking .

definitely has a point! his property and your luck!
this kind of interaction is why people get discouraged.
gotta "line up" a ton of door knocks, and prepare to spend a lot of time
before ya ''score!" still "worthwhile" of course, but a "giant pain in da ass"
nevertheless, and ask yourself why should "anybody" allow you on their
land for "any" reason, and then have inconsiderate a*s wipes offer "nothing"
to the land owner?..are you kidding me?..tough enough to get permission in the first place! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Agreed

I totally understand. And agree with your point. I door knock most weekends. Meet tons of great people. That's a big part is meeting new people learning some history and sharing a love of old houses etc. Most folks say keep what you find . I always tell them if I find anything interesting ill let them know. This was the most interesting no I've had in a while. My post wasn't about why didnt i get permission. More about wonder what went wrong in the past for him. All adds up to experience

definitely has a point! his property and your luck!
this kind of interaction is why people get discouraged.
gotta "line up" a ton of door knocks, and prepare to spend a lot of time
before ya ''score!" still "worthwhile" of course, but a "giant pain in da ass"
nevertheless, and ask yourself why should "anybody" allow you on their
land for "any" reason, and then have inconsiderate a*s wipes offer "nothing"
to the land owner?..are you kidding me?..tough enough to get permission in the first place! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Sorry, I have to completely disagree.

If the homeowner wants to invest $500-$1500 for a decent metal detector, spend a year or two learning how to really use it well, then sure, they can recover the 3 silver dimes worth $5, the Buffalo Nickel worth 10 cents, and some wheat pennies and modern coins in the yard. When asking permission, if a homeowner seriously asks "What's in this for me?" I politely thank them for their time, and move on. Most folks could care less about what is in their yard. This is true when I did outhouse / bottle digging for 30 years - the homeowner just plain did not care, gave the ok, and went back to watching TV or headed out to run errands. I do share some of my metal detecting and bottle dig finds with the homeowner IF they are interested, and the coins and bottles are of MY choosing. The homeowner would go to their GRAVE never having the motivation or interest in coins or bottles until I came along to ask, so I feel that the choice of items to keep, or ALL the items, are mine for doing the research, having the skill and expertise to locate said items, and having the equipment to safely recover the items.

Back
Top Bottom