Does silver react to the gold test acid?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Does silver react to the gold test acid? I found a wedding band this weekend and as you can see I tested it with 10k, 14k and 18k acid and didn't phase it.

I found the two on the left and John found the one on the right rear.

Attachments

• 11-3-2019-1.jpg
    11-3-2019-1.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 389
  • 11-3-2019-test.jpg
    11-3-2019-test.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 381
Think they are different levels of nitric acids used to test silver and gold. You will probably need another concentration to test the silver. But I do know that real silver will turn whitish when tested.

The picture above shows 10k acid at the top, 14k acid in the middle and 18k acid at the bottom. They all look the same.

The picture above shows 10k acid at the top, 14k acid in the middle and 18k acid at the bottom. They all look the same.

Looks like all 3 acids mixed when you tested. Try to keep each acid separate when testing. Idk it looks stainless to me... Is it heavy?

I would use the aluminum foil and spit method if you don't have silver acid. Grab a small piece of alumunim foil, spit in it, drop the ring inside and completely wrap the ring with the foil. If it starts to crackle and smell like rotten eggs, it IS silver. If no reaction, it is NOT silver.

I would use the aluminum foil and spit method if you don't have silver acid. Grab a small piece of alumunim foil, spit in it, drop the ring inside and completely wrap the ring with the foil. If it starts to crackle and smell like rotten eggs, it IS silver. If no reaction, it is NOT silver.

This is a good quick test. If silver then there will be some Silver Sulfide on the surface.

Well here is the acid test done individually. 10k, 14k and 18k

Also did the wipe white cloth test. No residue.

Attachments

• IMG_6090.jpg
    IMG_6090.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_6092.jpg
    IMG_6092.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 253
I thought sterling silver turns milky white in one of the gold acids, but this is based on my milky white memory, so...
It does have a stainless steel look to it. Many stainless steel rings/items are non-magnetic.

All stainless steel is magnetic to some level..

Hang suspect metal from sewing thread and hold a really strong magnet near it..

<°)))>{

That was my understanding Ice Scratcher. I have many nice what I would consider "high grade" stainless Steel jewelry and all are magnetic to some degree.

Up close it has the look of gold, of course it may just be wishful thinking, but on the inside it also looks SS.

Back
Top Bottom