Flex Seal for MD applications?

MrNovice

Forum Supporter
Mostly thinking about for coating coils, might help reduce shock if banged on the sides? I know most coat with epoxy that dries hard, maybe a rubber type might help? I know it can be used like PlastiDip on tools, just wondering if this could help our accessories any?

A decent coil cover provides plenty of protection. Never had any problem bumping stuff with one on. Also, any kind of coating you put on adds WEIGHT at the highest levered point on the detector (the end of it). No thanks!

Do you actually break coils banging stuff?

For pinpointers, I finally gave up trying coatings. Just search Garrett Tip Protector on eBay and you can get 3 for less than $10. (full disclosure, I had them manufactured and sell them there. LOL)

Skippy

A decent coil cover provides plenty of protection. Never had any problem bumping stuff with one on. Also, any kind of coating you put on adds WEIGHT at the highest levered point on the detector (the end of it). No thanks!

Do you actually break coils banging stuff?

For pinpointers, I finally gave up trying coatings. Just search Garrett Tip Protector on eBay and you can get 3 for less than $10. (full disclosure, I had them manufactured and sell them there. LOL)

Skippy

Nah, I'm just thinking if someone has cracked their coil if this would protect and fill as good as epoxy and what benefits it may have being rubberized instead of hardened. I haven't tried the stuff myself, but it's definitely interesting to think of applications for it that could work for us.

Many people have also complained about debris getting inbetween coil covers and the coil, and how hard the covers can be to take off. This would eliminate that but I don't know how the weight would be.

Ive used products like this on several things...Its not abrasion proof at all and fades in the summer weather and easily collects dirt...i wouldnt give a recommendation to use it but thats only me..i didnt like it much

Making changes or modifications, might make any warranty void ?
If the warranty has run out, I don't see any harm good idea though,
but I'd just stay with a coil cover.

Making changes or modifications, might make any warranty void ?
If the warranty has run out, I don't see any harm good idea though,
but I'd just stay with a coil cover.

Pretty sure any mod will void warranties, just thinking long term after warranty to help protect equipment to last even longer. Like most of us, squeeze those last years out of good products so not having to spend so much replacing. It's a fairly new product (1 year?) so I guess we'll have to wait and see if there's much benefit to it.

I used that stuff on my Neoprene waders...I guess it worked ok stopping little leaks in the crotch and legs...Then one day I ripped out the whole side to one boot...that was it for them, but hey, I got a few more hunts out of them somewhat dry at least...I dont use coil covers and have never had a problem..
Mud

A while back a lot of people were coating their coils with truck bed liner. (non Metallic kind) It seems like it would stand up to more than a rubber coating. I used it on the tip of my pinpointer several years ago and it is still holding up fine. You can do a search for truck bed liner to read more about it.

You can buy similar spray-on rubberized asphalt coatings at any big-box hardware store - and cheaper than Flex-seal. Rust-Oleum makes a version.

Back
Top Bottom