1865 grease filled die Indian?????

coin chaser

Forum Supporter
So I just dug this. It would have been in amazing shape if it weren't for the couple of corrosion spots. But what do you guys think. Parts of America and the end of the date seem like they were never struck or real weak.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
I will check the "Snow" varieties. I do see what you are saying.

I have seen a nice 1877 key-date grease-filled die looking just like yours.

I guess the "Snow" varieties are for doubled dies and other mint errors. Don't see any grease-filled examples for any indian head.

Can we get a close-up of just the date?

I can try but the patina on the front makes it tough to get a good pic. The front has more of a gloss patina which picks up glare. It is way easier to see the letters/numbers in the pic than in real life. I will give it a shot tonight when I get home. Thanks for the help man.

If it wasn't for the spots, that coin would be beautiful. Hopefully the soil in your area produces more of those! :shock:

I guess the "Snow" varieties are for doubled dies and other mint errors. Don't see any grease-filled examples for any indian head.

Can we get a close-up of just the date?

This is about the best I can do on my phone. I will try tomorrow night with the Nikon but it's dead now and I'm not sure where the charger is. If you are talking about the 5 it has a slight hook or tail up on the top right. I guess it's the fancy style 5.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 250
If it wasn't for the spots, that coin would be beautiful. Hopefully the soil in your area produces more of those! :shock:

Hahaha! I wish they came out like this. The area is by a river and all coppers even the wheats have been toasted on one side. Here's what they normally look like at this site. Not sure why the other is so much better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 250
Most of the Snow varieties have doubling somewhere on the coin. Most times it's 1, 2, or all the numbers of the date. Some coins have doubling on the reverse.

Yep you have the 'fancy" 5 variety! I traded one earlier this year.

Very cool coin, even if pitted a bit!

Back
Top Bottom