Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Old 03-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Elite Member

Default Heavily hunted fairgrounds...

Had some free time today and decided to hit a fairgrounds that I usually dont like to go to. Alot of discolored older plugs everywhere from others. I got off the beaten path of the Midway, and focused under trees and along fences and managed a Buffallo nickel, 2 wheats, 1 looks to be an '09'?(havent cleaned anything yet) a couple of keys and .83 cents in clad and a few odds and ends. Looks like I'll be going back some more and working the not-so-obvious areas!......Thanks for looking!...

~FISHER~MINELAB~
*Sunray Ears~Garrett Point~Yo-Hoe Trowel*

Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Elite Member

Yea. There is an old fairground where I live that is no longer used. It also used to be a site for some rock concerts. Its so big and so many places to look but I have not found anything yet. I do know there is one area that is squashed soda can heaven. Its on my list of things to hit a few times. Gotta be some good finds there! With all the people there for ages.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 PM

That is a nice old key! Sweet finds!

Chrissy

Old 03-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Elite Member

Love that when you find oldies in the out of the way places! Nice finds!
I tried an old fair grounds here after seeing a mid way photo from 1906... there is an oval race track must have been for horses, but the old pics show all the cars parked in middle of oval track, so i tried there ,pulled a few wheats then batteries went dead... bunch of car trim pieces too, they must have all been bumping into each other getting in and out of there...!?
....Now you got me thinking about going back...
a woman was walking the track while I was there said she lived next door for 30 years and has nor ever noticed anyone detecting there before.... so

Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Good finds. Love the old keys but have never found one. Congrats

Old 03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

I have an old fairgrounds, by me. they still have the fair every year. has been going on for 100+ years. No Md'ing allowed

Old 03-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

We can detect on our fairgrounds but they only date to the 70s. The old fairgrounds were in the town park, which has been hammered to death! I still get a decent amount of clad from there, even my only silver dime and a war nickel. I see others with deeper machines get a merc every once in awhile. However, I am hitting the old fairgrounds in the next town over. When they plow up the field I'm going to ask to hit it. Hopefully it brings some of those older coins to the surface.