Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 09-29-2010, 04:46 PM

Default 8.5" x 11" PROformance Double-D searchcoil VS. 10x14 Elliptical DD EXcelerator II

Hi everyone,

I just received my Ace 250 in the mail yesterday. The wife and I went out to play with it and we had a LOT of fun even though we only found 3 clad coins, lol. :-)

Just curious about these two coils I found browsing Kellyco:

#1) 8.5" x 11" PROformance Double-D searchcoil
#2) 10x14” Elliptical DD EXcelerator II

#1 is the default factory coil on the Ace 350 (which I decided to pass up on). Is #2 a substantial upgrade over #1?

If so, would it be worth it to upgrade my puny 6x9" factory coil at some point on the Ace 250 to the 10x14" Elliptical DD EXcelerator II? (sells for $124.95, which I don't think is all that bad)

Or does the Ace 250 not discriminate good enough with a deeper coil like that? I ask that because in the short time I've been using the Ace 250 it seems to detect a BUNCH of misc junk, even in coin mode.

My main goal with my detector is to find OLD coins (late 1800s).

Thanks all!

-Todd

Old 10-02-2010, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by utahdetector View post
Just curious about these two coils I found browsing Kellyco:

#1) 8.5" x 11" PROformance Double-D searchcoil
#2) 10x14” Elliptical DD EXcelerator II

#1 is the default factory coil on the Ace 350 (which I decided to pass up on). Is #2 a substantial upgrade over #1?

If so, would it be worth it to upgrade my puny 6x9" factory coil at some point on the Ace 250 to the 10x14" Elliptical DD EXcelerator II? (sells for $124.95, which I don't think is all that bad)

Or does the Ace 250 not discriminate good enough with a deeper coil like that? I ask that because in the short time I've been using the Ace 250 it seems to detect a BUNCH of misc junk, even in coin mode.

My main goal with my detector is to find OLD coins (late 1800s).

Thanks all!

-Todd
Hi utahdetector, I'm kind of curious why you didn't buy the ACE350? It's the upgrade of the Ace250. I ask that because it seems you feel you might go and get the coil that comes on the 350. For the extra cash you're gonna fork out, wouldn't it be a better idea to return the 250 and upgrade with the 350?

I have the 350 and I can tell you that it still detects junk; you just won't get away from it. The new coil will help but it won't eliminate trash no matter what the sellers say.

If you want my clearest advice: return the 250 now and get the 350. For the extra $90 you're getting the upgrade. It's not perfect by any means but there are some adjustments made from the previous model that may help you somewhat.

hope this helps.